collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Used truck questions  (Read 5004 times)

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Used truck questions
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 09:14:35 PM »
Dont forget about Nissan Hard Bodies
The 3.0s all have leaky exhaust manifolds.

I've always had a thing for the early to mid 90s f150s with either a 302 or the big 6. A few friends and coworkers have had them over the years and never had any problems.

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 05:56:01 PM »
I have an 07 chevy colorado. Great truck. A bit bigger than a ranger / s10 - very comfortable to drive, easy to park and tows a reasonable size boat. The only issue I have had is a heater solenoid that took 15 minutes to fix. Now have 115K on it.

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 12:51:02 AM »
I like the Colorado's , I looked at a few a while back. I just haven't seen many for sale lately around here. At least private sales.  The gmc canyons seem so share a similar body style as well but I haven't looked into them much.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 03:22:48 AM »
If you're leaning crew cab the Nissan Frontier seems to be the one for decent bed length. It's not that much bigger than the others in that class but if you're going to haul with it, as small as they are, it comes down to a game of inches.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »
I think long term is prefer crew cab. I dunno, guess I'm just wrestling making payments vs buying outright and settling for what I can find for a little cheaper. come taxes i may just pay off a debt, and basically transfer what is be paying off to a vehicle. I just hate having to make payments, and as someone posted on another thread a while ago it's cheaper to pay a few 100 every once in a while as opposed to a monthly payment.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:03:33 AM by viva_che1363 »
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 02:18:02 PM »

My Colorado is an extended cab - folding jump seats behind the front seats. There are small doors to a cess the jump seats so you dont have to fold the front seats forward. This gives plenty of safe interior space for storage or dog. Also, a crew cab only has a 5’ bed whereas the extended cab has 6’+ bed.

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Re: Used truck questions- Update-
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:04 PM »
Well after a while of looking and weighing pros and cons I just got back from buying a 09 gmc canyon with 128k miles on it.  For better or worse looks like I'll be making payments for a while :'(.  Now I need to find some tires to put on it. Of anyone has input on what they've liked running on similar trucks I'm all ears.
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
Well after a while of looking and weighing pros and cons I just got back from buying a 09 gmc canyon with 128k miles on it.  For better or worse looks like I'll be making payments for a while :'(.  Now I need to find some tires to put on it. Of anyone has input on what they've liked running on similar trucks I'm all ears.

I ran BFG AT KOs on my 2007 Dakota for years. Three years ago I got frustrated with the price of the AT KOs and went with the Cooper ATs.
The Coopers were half the price, but had little sidewall stability. They were OK on the street, once off road they kinda sucked. Two years into the Coopers, I had a blowout through the tread. I put the 10 ply AT KOs back on, and have been happy ever since.

We ran Yokahama Geolander ATs on my wife's Durango and they were fantastic tires!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline bigdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:02 AM »
I have driven a Nissan frontier crew cab since 2005. It replaced a 96 toyota truck. Had kids and needed the extra seating. It has served me well over the years as a daily driver and family hauler. (20-21 MPG highway, 100 miles a day, current mileage 296,000) My Brother in law pulls a camper with his a few times a year and it scares me to death every time he does. They will pull a small boat no problem. In 2005, I went with Nissan because it had more cab room than other models in its class. Still does as they have not updated it since then. LOL

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »

Cool! Ive got a 2010 Colorado, extended cab, I5, 4x4 with 85,000 miles and love it. Gets 20-22mpg. I really think from 08/09 on Chevy got all the bugs worked out of the early Colorado models . The only thing that has gone wrong with mine is the instrument cluster. First the RPM gauge quit working at 45k miles, then the temp gauge got wonky. I got a scan gauge for $120 and plugged it in so I know my engine temp.

Mine has the 17 inch wheels. I bought some Cooper Discoverer A/T 3's about 20k miles ago and hate them. Loud and they get no traction on wet pavement.

Did you get 4x4? Inline 5 engine? Automatic transmission? 16 inch wheels? Extended cab or crew cab?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 10:22:03 AM »
Older suburbans are one of the most affordable 4x4 options out there and they last for a lot of miles, if you keep your eyes open you can find older ones with fair mileage in the 3k to 4k range. I've owned quite a few suburbans, I have two currently, had three until one was stolen while we were on vacation last summer. ggggrrrrr

:yeah:

Pre-2000 will have the 350 and you really can't go wrong.  Even if you do, parts are dirt cheap and there is tons of room in there to work.

Every once in a while you can find one with under 200k for your price range.  They should go 250-300k depending on how much you tow.  We will have our 2000 for sale in March for $1,500 with about 255k miles for reference.

Great family rigs, big enough to sleep in during hunts and pull moderate sized stuff well.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
Dodge w150 - Still on the original motor from 1977 - That's saying something if ya ask me...

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 11:40:32 PM »

Cool! Ive got a 2010 Colorado, extended cab, I5, 4x4 with 85,000 miles and love it. Gets 20-22mpg. I really think from 08/09 on Chevy got all the bugs worked out of the early Colorado models . The only thing that has gone wrong with mine is the instrument cluster. First the RPM gauge quit working at 45k miles, then the temp gauge got wonky. I got a scan gauge for $120 and plugged it in so I know my engine temp.

Mine has the 17 inch wheels. I bought some Cooper Discoverer A/T 3's about 20k miles ago and hate them. Loud and they get no traction on wet pavement.

Did you get 4x4? Inline 5 engine? Automatic transmission? 16 inch wheels? Extended cab or crew cab?

yes its an automatic 4x4 with 16 inch wheels, and crew cab. 3.7 l5. I took a look at the Cooper Discoverer A/T's and the H/T's this afternoon. looked ok, but I may need need to keep shopping...
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »

yes its an automatic 4x4 with 16 inch wheels, and crew cab. 3.7 l5. I took a look at the Cooper Discoverer A/T's and the H/T's this afternoon. looked ok, but I may need need to keep shopping...

If you are use to the traction and sidewall ruggedness of the AT KOs, the Coopers will be a disappointment. Good price point, sidewall sucks, no traction on wet pavement or wet grass for that matter, not that great of a tire.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10