collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fitting a detachable box mag conversion to a stock  (Read 3693 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Fitting a detachable box mag conversion to a stock
« on: January 23, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
I always thought a little sanding or Dremel work might be needed to fit an aftermarket bottom metal to a stock. With that said, I have a Stocky's Accublock laminated stock and I bought a Seekins box mag conversion bottom metal for it. Went to install it and found that a large amount of material needs to be removed in order for it to work. Large amount being relative to what I thought might be needed I guess. There's 1/8" or so of wood that will need to be removed for it to fit. Is this normal? I know it's a lower priced stock...I put the hinged floorplate bottom metal in and it fits like a glove so I know the stock is ok. I'm assuming this is normal, so I guess I'm wondering what's the standard procedure for this? Template? I'm sort of terrified to just go off with my Dremel...

:dunno:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:10:26 PM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Fitting a drop box mag conversion to a stock
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:40:26 AM »
Isn’t this the bottom metal that you got?

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/ai-tactical-dbm.html

If so that fits into an M5 stock inlet. It’s a standard inlet that many stock makers can inlet for. There is some sizeable differences between it and bdl bottom. Bottom metal height is a pretty important aspect of this set up for good cartridge feeding.

Some of the bottom metals come with pillars already set to correct length. Did the seekins?

It’s not too hard or scary to modify the inlet on the stock. Just go slow and easy and test fit a lot.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:55:09 AM »
Weapons/Bombs.

:sry:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »
I got the one with the push button ambi mag release button. That one looks like a different one. I'm sure it's the same general principle.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
Ahh. Bombs!   :chuckle:

There will still be some inletting needed I would imagine. Same thing. Just go slow and test fit.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »

There will still be some inletting needed I would imagine. Same thing. Just go slow and test fit.

Terrifying. Maybe I'll try it on the take off stock first. That's what Bondo is for anyway, right?

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
Yes exactly. Did the mag set up you got come with pillars for the action screws? Does it use ai pattern mags?

If it uses m5 inlet badger has a template on their website

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Fitting a detachable box mag conversion to a stock
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »
Yes exactly. Did the mag set up you got come with pillars for the action screws? Does it use ai pattern mags?

If it uses m5 inlet badger has a template on their website

No pillars, yes AI mags. I'll take a look at badger's website.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:10:50 PM by jackelope »

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »

Terrifying. Maybe I'll try it on the take off stock first. That's what Bondo is for anyway, right?

Actually, that's what lipstick is for :)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »
Hey you’re back!
I’m not sure how to take that lipstick comment.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 04:52:59 AM »
Hey you’re back!

Either he mis-read the Bondo comment as bondage, or he’s suggesting that you’d use the lipstick as an indicator while fitting the bottom metal. Coat everything with the lipstick, test fit, then remove material anywhere the lipstick is rubbing off on the stock.

More importantly, the return of Sharkbait means that I have to reset the clock and get my wagers in now. I’m going double or nothing on 13 days.....

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 04:53:54 AM »
Hey you’re back!

Lipstick works great for fitting metal parts to the stock.

I would find some extra long bolts that have the same thread as the rec'r and cut the heads off. These will act as alignment pins. Then coat the bottom metal with your or your wife's favorite color of lipstick and the rest is easy.

Just be sure to only remove the material that has the coating that's been transferred from the metal and go slowly

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 07:20:56 AM »
I assumed that's what you meant....just didn't want to make any lipstick comments that may start a downward spiral...
Thanks for the tip.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 08:31:52 AM »
I assumed that's what you meant....just didn't want to make any lipstick comments that may start a downward spiral...
Thanks for the tip.
Is there really any downward spiraling left to go for jay or York?  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:43:25 AM by BULLBLASTER »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 09:42:51 AM »
Thanks for the tip.
Is there really any downward spiraling left to go for jay or York?  :chuckle:

Hey I was looking at it as a fresh start.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal