collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Onx map accuracy  (Read 5698 times)

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
Onx map accuracy
« on: January 23, 2018, 02:36:41 PM »
I am moving into the new tech age. Have gotten a new gps and just put onx maps on it. So I went to a known property north of Colville and while looking at the ownership info I noticed that it appears like I might own more than I thought. I called Onxmaps and inquired as to just how accurate the maps are. They informed me they are with in 10 feet. Then I questioned how does that work if you are walking a property line and there is a dispute. The answer was if you are over the line your trespassing.  :yike:

Was suggested I contact the county. My next step also, But it might not be a comfort if you have a issue with a new land owner and you try to justify the argument. The website states know which side of the fence you are on.  :dunno:

On the plus side I did find some lines I need to go revisit with the folks in the area.  :chuckle:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Onx map accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »
Gps is not exact. Can be perfect can be off by 200 ft.  Uncle sam incorporates errors on purpose as antiguidance precautions

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:40:58 PM »
A lot of their info comes from county records so....
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 02:44:15 PM »
A lot of their info comes from county records so....

Wouldn't you think the county records should be fairly close?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »
No, the lines shown on your onx map are not necessarily where the actual property lines are. If the property has been surveyed and the survey filed with the county as required by law, then chances are the onx map WILL get you within 10 feet of the actual line. But if there's never been a survey done then those lines were just drawn in by the guy in the assessor's office and could easily be a couple hundred feet off, or even more.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:12:16 PM by bobcat »

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 03:25:32 PM »
I have had one line surveyed after field review and OnX maps indicated an approximately 60' encroachment over a property line.  When surveyed the encroachment was closer to 20'.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »
It is a tool that is super helpful but I wouldn't use it to dispute a property line or even to put up a fence.  I would do a survey for either of those.

In a hunting situation if the game animal I was pursuing was within 200 feet of what I thought the onxmap was saying was the property line I don't think I would take the shot.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »
No, the lines shown on your onx map are not necessarily where the actual property lines are. If the property has been surveyed and the survey filed with the county as required by law, then chances are the onx map WILL get you within 10 feet of the actual line. But if there's never been a survey done then those lines were just drawn in by the guy in the assessor's office and could easily be a couple hundred feet off, or even more.
:yeah: OnX and the County Assessor show that my dad owns across the county road on a farm he purchased a couple years ago. It also shows that he owns his neighbors house. It looks like the property lines are shifted SE approx 100-150’ of where they should be.

Offline Yelper Guy

• Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
Historic property boundaries vs. current GPS property boundaries are typically off.
My neighbor sold a portion of his property so they had it surveyed with new technology.
The boundaries shifted about 6 feet to the north, which doesn't align with the obvious "historic" boundary.
You can make historical boundaries real boundaries thru a legal process.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 03:46:20 PM »
Historic property boundaries vs. current GPS property boundaries are typically off.
My neighbor sold a portion of his property so they had it surveyed with new technology.
The boundaries shifted about 6 feet to the north, which doesn't align with the obvious "historic" boundary.
You can make historical boundaries real boundaries thru a legal process.

New technology doesn't change the location of property lines, and the "historical boundaries" you speak of, ARE generally where the actual boundaries are. That's part of what land surveying is all about- determining where the property lines are as they were originally meant to be.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »
Does onx maps update ownership every calendar year?  Or does anyone know what their ownership update looks like?

Offline Shannon

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »
It definitely does not upgrade every year. I don't know the rate of when they update but I have bought some property in Okanogan County four years ago and it still has the old owners info on it.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »
 :tup:thanks for the info

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 05:09:26 PM »
I used it to find corner stakes of my 1/2 acre lot before I put my fence up. Was close enough for that burn like said I wouldn’t use it at all for any kind of line disputes  :twocents:

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »
Since I am aware of the property pins on the back of the place and they appear like on the money I do wonder about the other end. Going to go walk the lines and just look around.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]