collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SCI Washington Report - Zinke Changes Incite Criticism  (Read 3237 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
Re: SCI Washington Report - Zinke Changes Incite Criticism
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 07:22:45 AM »
Good read.  Thanks Bearpaw!
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:00:12 PM »
Great article. Nice to see some transparency and know what direction they are wanting to take hunting/fishing/outdoors to.

Offline elkchaser54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 04:33:29 PM »
"Anti-Hunting Clinton agenda"........ Can't I spend one day without hearing some ridiculous conspiracy theory about the Clinton idiots. 

On another note, why does the Interior department care about "protecting our people and border"(#6) ... I think border security is in charge of that

"Create a conservation stewardship legacy, second only to Teddy Roosevelt" .... by getting rid of national monuments, I am pretty sure Teddy saved lands, not took them out of federal control like he has done so far.

Other then those two,  I truly do hope he can achieve something beneficial to this department that is vastly underserving its duties and its people and remove the Red Tape along the way. 

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
"Anti-Hunting Clinton agenda"........ Can't I spend one day without hearing some ridiculous conspiracy theory about the Clinton idiots. 

On another note, why does the Interior department care about "protecting our people and border"(#6) ... I think border security is in charge of that it is important because there are long sections of the border along DOI lands that are some of the most heavily utilized for illegally crossing the border

"Create a conservation stewardship legacy, second only to Teddy Roosevelt" .... by getting rid of national monuments, I am pretty sure Teddy saved lands, not took them out of federal control like he has done so far. I think you are referring to the Obama era monument delistings.  My take is that it was a well thought out move and removed arbitrary and politically motivated designations from areas not needing the added burden of a monument listing. Plus it was a way to get back at the previous administration for misusing the Antiquities Act

Other then those two,  I truly do hope he can achieve something beneficial to this department that is vastly underserving its duties and its people and remove the Red Tape along the way.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
I'm not entirely sold on Zinke. While he has done things to improve hunting/fishing access, he also has had some slimeball incidents.

The article Dale posted mentioned Zinke opened 10 National Wildlife Refuges to expanded hunting/fishing access. Well...the USFWS opens new refuges to expanded access every year. In fact the process to open those refuges started before Trump was even elected. Kind of hard for me to go along with that was a Zinke win.

Zinke just appointed a retired National Parks Service Superintendent to be the Acting Director of the NPS. This same individual was the ring leader in the most widely known corruption/coverup incidents in the NPS with the involvement of Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder. In fact there's even a book on the coverup, Worth Fighting For (A Park Rangers Unexpected Battle Against Federal Bureaucrats and Washington Redskins Owner Dan Snyder) by Robert Danno.

Zinke was just slammed for touring National Monuments via helicopter and charging the travel costs to wildland fire incidents, even though there weren't any fires close to the areas. Zinke chalked it up as an accident. Those of us government employees who travel know you quadruple check the accounts you charge you travel to. Apparently Zinke's office doesn't.

Zinke was the cause of an investigation for travel issues regarding taking money from oil companies.

Quite honestly, as a hunter in WA there isn't much that Zinke has done that has actually impacted us. Just lots of reviews, committees, and commissions.  :twocents:

Offline olyguy79

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »
I'm not entirely sold on Zinke. While he has done things to improve hunting/fishing access, he also has had some slimeball incidents.

The article Dale posted mentioned Zinke opened 10 National Wildlife Refuges to expanded hunting/fishing access. Well...the USFWS opens new refuges to expanded access every year. In fact the process to open those refuges started before Trump was even elected. Kind of hard for me to go along with that was a Zinke win.

Zinke just appointed a retired National Parks Service Superintendent to be the Acting Director of the NPS. This same individual was the ring leader in the most widely known corruption/coverup incidents in the NPS with the involvement of Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder. In fact there's even a book on the coverup, Worth Fighting For (A Park Rangers Unexpected Battle Against Federal Bureaucrats and Washington Redskins Owner Dan Snyder) by Robert Danno.

Zinke was just slammed for touring National Monuments via helicopter and charging the travel costs to wildland fire incidents, even though there weren't any fires close to the areas. Zinke chalked it up as an accident. Those of us government employees who travel know you quadruple check the accounts you charge you travel to. Apparently Zinke's office doesn't.

Zinke was the cause of an investigation for travel issues regarding taking money from oil companies.

Quite honestly, as a hunter in WA there isn't much that Zinke has done that has actually impacted us. Just lots of reviews, committees, and commissions.  :twocents:
:yeah:

While it is nice to see a hunter/angler in the position. We haven't seen much more then "we need to" "we should study" "I want to.." out of him.

Offline Hovel Downs

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 09:15:30 AM »
Getting rid of National Monuments doesn't take them out of Federal control.  They are still public lands managed by the US Forest Service or BLM, but I'm sure you know that.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »

On another note, why does the Interior department care about "protecting our people and border"(#6) ... I think border security is in charge of that it is important because there are long sections of the border along DOI lands that are some of the most heavily utilized for illegally crossing the border

"Create a conservation stewardship legacy, second only to Teddy Roosevelt" .... by getting rid of national monuments, I am pretty sure Teddy saved lands, not took them out of federal control like he has done so far. I think you are referring to the Obama era monument delistings.  My take is that it was a well thought out move and removed arbitrary and politically motivated designations from areas not needing the added burden of a monument listing. Plus it was a way to get back at the previous administration for misusing the Antiquities Act

Scaling down the Obama monuments is a big deal to local people. There were already huge chunks of Utah that were off-limits to multiple use. Reducing the size of the monuments made them more acceptable to local people.

I think it's a really good thing to see Zinke making sure hunting will be a continuing activity on DOI lands. I look for more good to come!

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
Getting rid of National Monuments doesn't take them out of Federal control.  They are still public lands managed by the US Forest Service or BLM, but I'm sure you know that.
Not sure if this was directed at me but I didn't say anything about monuments other than his travel.

But since you mentioned it lets look at it. Zinke's recommendation (which Trump followed) was to reduce/reconfigure 2 large monuments into 5 smaller ones. But in reality that just makes more beaurocracy. Instead of 2 management managers you'll now have 5. In reality, Trump/Zinke could've just redrawn the monument boundaries and eliminated the areas they wanted to and return it to "regular" feds lands. But it was obvious by eliminating them, and then creating 5 more in the same area that they just wanted to eliminate the Clinton and Obama designations from the area. And hey, now Trump can say in his first year he designated 5 national monuments!

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:20 AM »

I think it's a really good thing to see Zinke making sure hunting will be a continuing activity on DOI lands. I look for more good to come!
I don't remember a threat of it going away??

Heck, Obama created monuments under DOI that allowed hunting.

Offline olyguy79

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 09:26:31 AM »
Not sure if this was directed at me but I didn't say anything about monuments other than his travel.

But since you mentioned it lets look at it. Zinke's recommendation (which Trump followed) was to reduce/reconfigure 2 large monuments into 5 smaller ones. But in reality that just makes more beaurocracy. Instead of 2 management managers you'll now have 5. In reality, Trump/Zinke could've just redrawn the monument boundaries and eliminated the areas they wanted to and return it to "regular" feds lands. But it was obvious by eliminating them, and then creating 5 more in the same area that they just wanted to eliminate the Clinton and Obama designations from the area. And hey, now Trump can say in his first year he designated 5 national monuments!
:yeah:
Exactly. But that's politics

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »

I don't remember a threat of it going away??

Heck, Obama created monuments under DOI that allowed hunting.

I doubt if Hillary would have appointed an Interior Secretary who made hunting one of their top issues for DOI lands. The choice was Hillary or Trump, I'm more than happy the way it turned out.

Offline Hovel Downs

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 09:46:19 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/22/521089304/congress-rolls-back-obama-era-rule-on-hunting-bears-and-wolves-in-alaska

By a largely party-line vote Tuesday, the Senate approved a bill that repeals Obama-era hunting restrictions on national wildlife refuges in Alaska. The House already voted last month to abolish those restrictions — which were instituted by the Fish and Wildlife Service in 2016 to protect predator species from hunters — and so the bill now heads to the desk of President Trump, who is widely expected to sign it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]