collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018-2020 Hunting Proposals Out for Comment  (Read 23369 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: 2018-2020 Hunting Proposals Out for Comment
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2018, 09:58:54 PM »
In the proposed changes for sealing bobcat, river otter, lynx and cougar there is this:

WAC 220-400-050 Requirements for sealing of pelts and collectionof biological information for river otter, cougar, lynx, and bobcat.
(1)It is unlawful to possess river otter, cougar, lynx, or bobcattaken in Washington without a department identification seal which hasbeen attached to the raw pelt, on or off the carcass, prior to thepelt sealing deadline.

Should not this read after instead of prior. I've read this like 16 times and it seems wrong. I commented on it but would like to hear from someone else. Am I just reading it wrong?

It makes sense to me, the identification seal must be attached before the deadline. Am I missing something?

Let's eliminate some of the  words and simplify it.

(1)It is unlawful to possess river otter, lynx or bobcat without a seal  prior to the pelt sealing deadline.

That says to me they should have used after instead of prior.

The way it reads you would be in violation the minute you take  an otter or cat into possession.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 10:12:35 PM »
In the proposed changes for sealing bobcat, river otter, lynx and cougar there is this:

WAC 220-400-050 Requirements for sealing of pelts and collectionof biological information for river otter, cougar, lynx, and bobcat.
(1)It is unlawful to possess river otter, cougar, lynx, or bobcattaken in Washington without a department identification seal which hasbeen attached to the raw pelt, on or off the carcass, prior to thepelt sealing deadline.

Should not this read after instead of prior. I've read this like 16 times and it seems wrong. I commented on it but would like to hear from someone else. Am I just reading it wrong?

It makes sense to me, the identification seal must be attached before the deadline. Am I missing something?

Let's eliminate some of the  words and simplify it.

(1)It is unlawful to possess river otter, lynx or bobcat without a seal  prior to the pelt sealing deadline.

That says to me they should have used after instead of prior.

The way it reads you would be in violation the minute you take  an otter or cat into possession.

No, it is illegal to possess without the seal being attached before the deadline arrives, but you have until the deadline arrives to do it is how I read that.   :dunno:  I'm not likely to be trapping any of these so I am unlikely to be worrying about it though.   ;)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 10:18:54 PM »
All it's saying is it has to have a seal which was attached prior to the deadline. In other words, it cannot be a seal that is attached after the deadline.

Offline JoeVon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »
Also, no more buying OIL points for your kids. Proposal states you must complete hunters education before you can buy an application for the OIL’s.

That's a good change.

First thing I noticed that disappoints me is the reduction of youth moose tags from 18 to only 1. Just bad timing since this will be my daughter's first year to apply for permits.

Other than out of your own greed to draw a tag, how is this a good change?

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 10:37:14 PM »
Looks like I will be spending my money for out of state tags from now on, pretty much done with this state.....
It is getting hard to justify spending money in this state when they waste so much money and continually fail to address issues important to sportsmen. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 10:41:38 PM »
Looks like I will be spending my money for out of state tags from now on, pretty much done with this state.....
It is getting hard to justify spending money in this state when they waste so much money and continually fail to address issues important to sportsmen.
It appeared as though the eastside took the most take and west got a little give.  I noticed a few pluses for my program--season dates/timing, new quality bull tag, new antlerless tags.  Have to see what hits print to really know, I guess.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:09 PM »
These proposals are a crockpot of *censored* stew.  Taking away anger less opportunity in Yakima from archers but still providing for rifle and muzzleloader?  Bumping, Nile and Rimrock added to Little Naches ghost town.  You have to take it all away or nothing.  This is absurd.  Also how can you give out over 245 bull tags for bumping (all combined) but only 30 cow tags?  This some sort of new QDMA for elk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2018, 10:50:17 PM »
Also, no more buying OIL points for your kids. Proposal states you must complete hunters education before you can buy an application for the OIL’s.

That's a good change.

First thing I noticed that disappoints me is the reduction of youth moose tags from 18 to only 1. Just bad timing since this will be my daughter's first year to apply for permits.

Other than out of your own greed to draw a tag, how is this a good change?

Not sure what it has to do with greed, as either way doesn't affect my chance of drawing.

Just my opinion but I never thought it was fair that a person could accumulate points while not even legally allowed to actually hunt. So I feel the change is warranted.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 01:22:33 AM »
 I was hoping for a major cut in Methow late tags but they actually increased them. :o

Then to top it off, I see a state wide reduction in the cougar season........hmmm?

Oh yeah, after these brilliant moves, Unsworth decides it's time to move on.......POS! :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 04:59:03 AM »
I hope you gave your input on the permit increase on the Methow herd then. If people don't step up and voice their opinion by commenting on the WDFW website they have no reason to complain.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 06:24:22 AM »
I sent in comments for the spring bear seasons. Proposed adding tags for the 200 GMU series and increasing number of tags in current units. Also suggested considering an OTC tag. Also voiced support 209 primers being legal.
Looks like 209 primers will be legal.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 06:37:28 AM »
I sent in comments for the spring bear seasons. Proposed adding tags for the 200 GMU series and increasing number of tags in current units. Also suggested considering an OTC tag. Also voiced support 209 primers being legal.
Looks like 209 primers will be legal.

Yep, just wanted to further voice my support of that!  :tup:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
Made many comments,mostly opposed on most,they want to make general cougar season 15 days shorter,seen shorter seasons across the whole thing. :dunno:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 07:28:55 AM »
If I read that right they eliminated all Yakima early season archery cow hunts for elk and took spikes away from the colockum guys. Looks like I am done with archery in this state if that happens.
You are reading that right.
Disappointing.

Looks like they increased the Colockum cow tags for modern hunters from 100 to 250

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 07:33:46 AM »
These proposals are a crockpot of *censored* stew.  Taking away anger less opportunity in Yakima from archers but still providing for rifle and muzzleloader?  Bumping, Nile and Rimrock added to Little Naches ghost town.  You have to take it all away or nothing.  This is absurd.  Also how can you give out over 245 bull tags for bumping (all combined) but only 30 cow tags?  This some sort of new QDMA for elk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if Archery guys can't hunt cows, no one can?    :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]