collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018-2020 Hunting Proposals Out for Comment  (Read 23395 times)

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: 2018-2020 Hunting Proposals Out for Comment
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
The Methow late permits... the only increase I see is Alta, from 10 to 15. Not really a significant increase, is it? Or am I missing something?

Have you read any of the recent (last couple years) "Methow" threads?

Any increase is significant, when most agree they should be reduced. :twocents:

I agree, but I just didn't see it as much of an increase. When I send my comments in I will be asking them to eliminate the general season. That's really what needs to happen. That's where the majority of the harvest occurs.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
The Methow late permits... the only increase I see is Alta, from 10 to 15. Not really a significant increase, is it? Or am I missing something?

This.
Comments sent.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2018, 09:04:59 AM »
Looks like I will be spending my money for out of state tags from now on, pretty much done with this state.....

This will be our 12th season out of state.  Need to just move there as well. :IBCOOL:

I've been taking my kids to Montana the last 5 years, we kill at least one elk and a couple of deer every year.  I kept buying my stuff in WA because we hunt with a great group of guys and I enjoy my time in the woods.  Maybe I will just go camping from now on.  I put my comments in, told them I will spend my money out of state.  Of course, after last years licensing increase fiasco where the director tried to hide all the negative comments from the leg committee I doubt my comments see the light of day.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »
Any increase in those permits is too much. It should be slashed. :twocents:

I agree.  I just sent in my comments to add also that the general deer season in the Methow should go back to 9 days.
What are they smoking thinking of adding more Alta permits  :bdid:

I disagree with shortening the season. Since this last season set of adding the extra two week days, I've seen very very few hunters on those last two days in Methow. Come Sunday there is a constant caravan of rigs heading out of town and down the highway going home. Those last two week days are doing nothing to the numbers IMO.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »

I agree, but I just didn't see it as much of an increase. When I send my comments in I will be asking them to eliminate the general season. That's really what needs to happen. That's where the majority of the harvest occurs.

Any increase in those permits is too much. It should be slashed. :twocents:

I agree.  I just sent in my comments to add also that the general deer season in the Methow should go back to 9 days.
What are they smoking thinking of adding more Alta permits  :bdid:

I disagree with shortening the season. Since this last season set of adding the extra two week days, I've seen very very few hunters on those last two days in Methow. Come Sunday there is a constant caravan of rigs heading out of town and down the highway going home. Those last two week days are doing nothing to the numbers IMO.

The general season is short enough and targets the "local" deer for the most part, not the migrators. Shortening the general season puts added pressure on the local deer, not less. Concentrating more people hunting less days means less escapement for the deer that are there. Again, those added two days are not the problem, we need to cut the targeting of those migratory bucks back. I'd be happy with half the permits in those units for the next several years......then look at adding a couple here and there. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
I see a total of 80 buck permits for the Methow units. Then, looking at harvest data for 2016, I count a total of 919 bucks killed during general seasons. It seems to me they could keep the 80 permits and do away with the general season and that should have a much more significant impact than cutting permit numbers in half. You're talking about a reduction of only 40 permits, while eliminating the general season would reduce harvest by 900 bucks.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
I see a total of 80 buck permits for the Methow units. Then, looking at harvest data for 2016, I count a total of 919 bucks killed during general seasons. It seems to me they could keep the 80 permits and do away with the general season and that should have a much more significant impact than cutting permit numbers in half. You're talking about a reduction of only 40 permits, while eliminating the general season would reduce harvest by 900 bucks.

Pretty sly. ;) .......but then I happen to know you are a advocate for permit only hunting.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2018, 10:01:56 AM »

Pretty sly. ;) .......but then I happen to know you are a advocate for permit only hunting.

Yes, permit only, limited quotas, pick east or west, or ANY kind of management other than what we have now, which is NONE. Unlimited number of deer tags with no control as to where people hunt.

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2018, 10:03:57 AM »
These proposals are a crockpot of *censored* stew.  Taking away anger less opportunity in Yakima from archers but still providing for rifle and muzzleloader?  Bumping, Nile and Rimrock added to Little Naches ghost town.  You have to take it all away or nothing.  This is absurd.  Also how can you give out over 245 bull tags for bumping (all combined) but only 30 cow tags?  This some sort of new QDMA for elk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if Archery guys can't hunt cows, no one can?    :dunno:
Based on the allocation formula they are supposed to follow for opportunity allocation this is a direct violation.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
As far as deer hunting changes ,i told them to keep seasons the same and add antler point restrictions to reduce harvest,the putting so many hunters in a shortened season was not quality hunting , and loseing opportunities.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2018, 10:10:53 AM »

Yes, permit only, limited quotas, pick east or west, or ANY kind of management other than what we have now, which is NONE. Unlimited number of deer tags with no control as to where people hunt.

I hear ya, but until then the general should stay the way it is and a reduction in permits would be the healthiest alternative for the herd.

Which group of bucks would you prefer do the majority of the breeding, the young local bucks that stick around town their entire lives or the migrators?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2018, 10:18:25 AM »
 :yeah:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 10:20:43 AM »

I hear ya, but until then the general should stay the way it is and a reduction in permits would be the healthiest alternative for the herd.

Which group of bucks would you prefer do the majority of the breeding, the young local bucks that stick around town their entire lives or the migrators?

I'm pretty sure the 900+ bucks taken during general season aren't ALL local "town" bucks.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2018, 10:57:03 AM »

I'm pretty sure the 900+ bucks taken during general season aren't ALL local "town" bucks.

True, but I can assure the vast majority of the bucks taken during the permit hunts are not "local" bucks either.

So which would you prefer?

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
I would prefer proper predator management.  Bear, cougar and wolf populations are all way too high.  Expand bear seasons, make spring bear OTC, allow cougar hunting year round and start a wolf season.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal