collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Unsworth Resigns  (Read 19494 times)

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: Unsworth Resigns
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »
I know nothing about cougar management or biology - but I can't understand why harvest is so restricted for a species that is so difficult to hunt given dogs are outlawed.  Of all the wildlife the state manages, cougars and coyotes are 2 species I probably wouldn't spend a whole lot of time worrying about the hunters killing them all off. For those who are far more informed on cougars...is there really a risk of hunting them to dangerously low levels if season were open all year? Or at least from fall to spring? If hunters kill 1 or 2 or 5 over their quotas...what's the harm?
Great points, and it highlights the idiocy of the department and thier suggested rule changes.

How many west side units never reach thier quota?

How dumb is it of the WDFW to tighten restrictions across the state when only a few gmus ever reach or surpass the quotas? It makes them look disconnected and harms thier relationship with hunters... 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last year the answer was 26.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:15:32 PM by Humptulips »
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2018, 01:53:42 PM »
Probably the worst job in the state other than Superintendent of Seattle Public Schools,  Director of Washington State DSHS, and manager of the Seattle Mariners.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2018, 03:34:27 PM »
I'd like to see the person that takes office be passionate about finding new ways to grow access, opportunities, and increase the new hunter/angler enthusiast numbers. Someone who was passionate about providing a balanced conservation approach to with a mentality to help grow our sport and voice in this state.

IMO, WDFW should be run like a business or high performing team (sport, military, etc). Identify strong leadership, create a vision that's hard to achieve, trim the fat, provide unfettered transparency, modernize and listen to the people (us) who support the brand and sport. A shared goal that's hard to achieve will ignite a passion in the outdoor community in WA who could make meaningful change.

Without leadership we believe in and will follow, our state will continue to fall behind. A state like Washington should be among the leaders in the US promoting hunting/fishing opportunities, education, technology, and tourism instead of cutting and restricting opportunities on top of poor hunter-ed funding & resources. We're not.

If only I could make the rules... I'd implement a mechanism that every two years we, the hunters and anglers vote to renew the person in this role - or vote someone else in. Similar to the GM position on the Seattle Sounders. Not a general voting but those of us who buy licenses and contribute more directly to the sport than average voters.

Who knows, it might help identify the kind of leader who'd thrive in that role but also the right kind of interaction with everyone involved not to mention yield the results we all want in modern conservation, hunting & fishing along the way.

#NetForPrez  :tup:

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
WDFW is mandated to serve not just hunting interests, but also fishing and non-consumptive users.

Fishing is of far greater importance than hunting. Add in the interests of non-consumptive users, which are generally of one mind compared to the fragmented voices of hunters who often fight among themselves, and we end up too often at the bottom of the heap.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
Just to be clear I changed my post about the number of Westside Cougar management units that reach quota. Should have said 4 did, 26 didn't.
Sorry for all the thread hijacking but needed to correct my mistake.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »
Good by and good riddance :hello:

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2018, 07:51:23 PM »
 :yeah: it’s so hard who to trust about any thing wdfw related though, time will tell, but this state seems doomed

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »

http://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/environment/wdfw-director-resigns-after-demands-by-wildlife-activists/281-511618916

Lesson here is don't make Ron mad.

If the activists wanted him gone....we probably won't get a better replacement

Maybe. But the Ron referenced is the president of Puget Sound Anglers. It wasn't just activists who wanted him out. After the Chinook plan, a lot of us were contacting our reps and the commission to say that the director needed to pack his bags.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2018, 04:35:48 PM »
Head over to bloodydecks and read Ron's version of events.  Sounds like Unsworth was a no-show at lots of important meetings.
:yeah:
No need to pour more salt on the wound, but anyone who questions why he needed to go should read what Ron Garner has posted.
Out playing at the pool while our fisheries are being lost.  Not the leadership we need.
Hopefully Joe Stohr can hold down the fort for now.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
Stohr seems like a good and fair guy, he might be better than what we had, I wonder if he will apply for the position permanently?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »
Stohr seems like a good and fair guy, he might be better than what we had, I wonder if he will apply for the position permanently?
Sure, if you like Mike Cenci and also how Stohr did nothing to improve WDFW Enforcement.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »
Sure, if you like Mike Cenci and also how Stohr did nothing to improve WDFW Enforcement.

It seemed like Stohr did more to protect Cenci and crew than he did to facilitate any change.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
It seemed like Stohr did more to protect Cenci and crew than he did to facilitate any change.
Exactly

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »
I hate to say it, but I think the commission will view hiring a guy whose expertise in fish was second to anything else was a mistake.  I predict our next director will be have a fisheries biology background and come from the middle ranks of a coastal state F&G Department.  This person will be ready to deal with fisheries on Day 1, and be more than happy to let the tribes drive the bus on wildlife management.

You can quote me later, for better or worse.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]