collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any other bowhunters want to throw up?  (Read 18516 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Any other bowhunters want to throw up?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »
I just wish for once Hunter's as a collective would have herd health as first priority instead of our own personal gain. If the Yakima pmu is under objective numbers then we all need to take a little hit on opportunity to build those numbers back up to a healthy sustainable population. We need to remember we can still take our stick and string into the woods in September and Chase elk. That was not taken away from us. Remember it's only a three year cycle as well. 

Unfortunately wdfw rarely gets to use science when it comes to actual management because when a group doesn't get their way they scream the loudest. Then the pendulum swings in the other direction and that group starts to scream. I have had good conversations with the biologist in my area and they know what they are doing. I just wish for once we let their recommendations be the guide for the future of our hunting heritage.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »
Idaho Fish and Game should use our Hunting Regulations as an advertisement for promoting tourism...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 09:02:44 AM »
I just wish for once Hunter's as a collective would have herd health as first priority instead of our own personal gain. If the Yakima pmu is under objective numbers then we all need to take a little hit on opportunity to build those numbers back up to a healthy sustainable population. We need to remember we can still take our stick and string into the woods in September and Chase elk. That was not taken away from us. Remember it's only a three year cycle as well. 

Unfortunately wdfw rarely gets to use science when it comes to actual management because when a group doesn't get their way they scream the loudest. Then the pendulum swings in the other direction and that group starts to scream. I have had good conversations with the biologist in my area and they know what they are doing. I just wish for once we let their recommendations be the guide for the future of our hunting heritage.

Maybe the WDFW should be more concerned for the health of our elk herd before they go and give out exorbitant amount of cow tags to reduce the herd even though they didn't do any aerial surveys in 2014 and 2015 when they were being so generous with tags. Even as late as 2016 the WDFW claimed the status of the Yakima herd was well above its objective. Doesn't seem like they are being good stewards of the peoples resource...

Offline nitroelk

• Scout
  • Groups: R.M.E.F.
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »
typical wdfw. maybe enough public comment will sway them, but not likely. at least we'll have late season.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
typical wdfw. maybe enough public comment will sway them, but not likely. at least we'll have late season.
I have been to commission meetings before and the rules were actually modified based on comments received via the website comment page and testimony given at the meeting.

These rules are by no means set in stone.

I am going to be asking more questions and doing some more research.  If there is a good reason for the changes I am all in.  If I don't like the responses I get for the changes I will let them know at the meeting.  For now I am going to comment on my concerns with the changes and see if they get back to me with their reasoning for the changes.  My guess is I will have to wait until the commission meeting.  That is where they have given their reasons in the past.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2018, 09:41:02 AM »
I have been to commission meetings before and the rules were actually modified based on comments received via the website comment page and testimony given at the meeting.

I am going to be asking more questions and doing some more research.  If there is a good reason for the changes I am all in.  If I don't like the responses I get for the changes I will let them know at the meeting.  For now I am going to comment on my concerns with the changes and see if they get back to me with their reasoning for the changes.  My guess is I will have to wait until the commission meeting.  That is where they have given their reasons in the past.

:yeah: Bow hunters and other user groups can certainly encourage changes, like you I've seen it happen at the commission meetings.

However, I don't think the commission will vary much on big predators, the anti-groups and upper government really control that agenda.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »

:yeah: Bow hunters and other user groups can certainly encourage changes, like you I've seen it happen at the commission meetings.

However, I don't think the commission will vary much on big predators, the anti-groups and upper government really control that agenda.
If that is the case BP it means we are fighting over a decreasing pool of game.it also means that while the different user groups are fighting amongst themselves the department can slowly transition away from sportsmen priorities and $.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
Bow hunters have some of the most vocal lobbying groups in this state, if they aren't complaining about these changes then there must be a good reason, from what I have seen they push for everything they think they can get all the time.
They are complaining.  These changes/moves caught them off guard.  #doyourresearch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 02:49:45 PM »
I'm happy with the reduction in general season antlerless elk opportunity, because I think it's needed to bring elk numbers back up. But at the same time I'm really surprised that they're not offering at least a small number of special permits for antlerless elk during the early archery elk season. They could definitely sell a lot of applications at $7.10 each, so why there are none is really baffling to me.

I think I'll send in a comment suggesting that they do just that. Even if it were only 40 to 50 permits for each unit, that would be better than nothing, and fair since there are antlerless permits offered for muzzleloader and modern firearm.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 05:32:36 PM »
They should be required to submit the science behind these changes now and not wait for the meeting.  They made the same changes in 2010 without a scientific reason.  If you are going to go from unlimited to zero you can at least be forthcoming with a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline nitroelk

• Scout
  • Groups: R.M.E.F.
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2018, 05:47:48 AM »
 :yeah:

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
Tag
Coastal Perspective.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2018, 08:17:07 AM »
Hunting seasons for the most part are not based on science. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just the way it is. It's fine to ask for the reasoning behind a change like this, but don't ask for that reason to be based on science.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
Here's the science, we gave out a lot of permits and OTC tags made a pile of 💰 ,oops the herd in trouble we better do something we don't wanna lose our 💰 maker.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2018, 08:59:15 AM »
The herds are in trouble because of last winter.  It was brutal for herds.  The increased number of antlerless tags the few years prior was a good thing or even more elk would of died last winter.  Elk permits for Eastern Modern and eastern Muzzleloader are down to less then 5% of what they historically have been.  Ya it sucks for a loss of opportunity but with the increased number of archery guys out and the reduced herds do to last years harsh weather I think this is a smart move.  With each of the units that saw antlerless archery go away they were averaging 50 or so cows taken a year per GMU so the that is still more then the rifle hunters averaged even with 250 permits when they used to hand that many out.  Look at the statistics, hunting during modern is not easy and success rates are really low.  It is not because of lack of skill or effort it is because the animals have been getting pushed around for two months and are not in the rut. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]