collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 209 Muzzy's In Washington  (Read 23861 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: 209 Muzzy's In Washington
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2018, 12:44:58 PM »
In the end, the more trouble-free we make it, the more hunters will move to ML, the higher the harvest numbers will be, the fewer days ML season will last.
It could also be argued that if more modern hunters switched to muzzy that the muzzy hunters would have a better seat at the table when it comes to seasons and permits.

Offline SuperX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »
In the end, the more trouble-free we make it, the more hunters will move to ML, the higher the harvest numbers will be, the fewer days ML season will last.
It could also be argued that if more modern hunters switched to muzzy that the muzzy hunters would have a better seat at the table when it comes to seasons and permits.

nothing really points to this resulting in more days, rather the opposite.  Having a larger hunter base makes every efficiency improvement more impactful, and having a large number of hunters increases the risk that a better than expected year could damage recovery.  My $.02

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2018, 03:10:08 PM »

While that could be argued, more hunters move to muzzy and they change (eliminate the late) the season, require hunter orange, etc.  I guess from my perspective, I don't trust our WDFW to do what is in our best interest, I don't think this change is needed, I believe it will degrade the experience long term.  Just my opinions and like everyone I have an AH as well.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2018, 04:21:46 PM »

While that could be argued, more hunters move to muzzy and they change (eliminate the late) the season, require hunter orange, etc.  I guess from my perspective, I don't trust our WDFW to do what is in our best interest, I don't think this change is needed, I believe it will degrade the experience long term.  Just my opinions and like everyone I have an AH as well.

Just so you know there is a conversion for the A&H - but if you are shooting #11's now there isn't a real advantage... IMO

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »

Just so you know there is a conversion for the A&H - but if you are shooting #11's now there isn't a real advantage... IMO

Are 209s more weather proof?

Offline carlyoungs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »

This is a great topic and enjoy reading both sides. The way I read his post was everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an A Hole. What is the a&h you are talking about Sabotloader? I know nothing about mls.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »

This is a great topic and enjoy reading both sides. The way I read his post was everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an A Hole. What is the a&h you are talking about Sabotloader? I know nothing about mls.

Girls don’t do that

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »

Austin and Halleck.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2018, 06:07:54 PM »

The primers themselves are water proof - but that does not mean your breech is water proof.  Water and water vapor can get by the primer in the breech plug primer pocket - unless you have zero head space in the breech plug.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:13:45 PM by Sabotloader »

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2018, 06:11:03 PM »

The primers themselves are water proof - but that does not mean your breech is water proof.  Water and water vapor can pet by the prime in the breech plug unless you have zero head space in the breech plug.

The reason 209 is more waterproof is that I can seal it in so much better with nail polish.  Really hard to do this effectively with Musket Caps. 

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »

I made an assumption he was talking about an Austin & Halleck ML

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »
Slow reply due to business travel. Yes, I was talking the anatomy.  SL, very nice A&H, are they typically 1-28 twist?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2018, 11:39:35 AM »
Slow reply due to business travel. Yes, I was talking the anatomy.  SL, very nice A&H, are they typically 1-28 twist?

Yes - 1/28... but they have a terribly long bolt throw....

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »
Thanks,  really hoping this doesn't get approved.  If it does I hope my fears aren't realized, WA already packs a lot of people into a few Muzzy units, this would just make those units more crowded for at least the next 3 years.

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Tracker
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2018, 04:43:52 PM »
Thanks,  really hoping this doesn't get approved.  If it does I hope my fears aren't realized, WA already packs a lot of people into a few Muzzy units, this would just make those units more crowded for at least the next 3 years.

In the next year, you can expect the number of new muzzleloader hunting licenses to double, now that the ML gun laws have changed to allow inlines.

All the gun stores in Pennsylvania are going to enjoy the added business. This will turn into a nice boost of your sporting goods economy. Plus the State reaps the cash flow from the additional license fees and taxes added to the sales of all the MLs and accessories.

It's a Plus-Plus for the Pennsylvania economy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]