collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 627 shed hunting  (Read 3032 times)

Offline MeatEater87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
GMU 627 shed hunting
« on: January 28, 2018, 08:50:40 AM »
How’s it going guys, I’m out here in Kitsap and looking to do a little shed hunting. There’s a few spots of DNR here closer to the ferry and was wondering if you guys had much deer this way and other wildlife. Anyone know of a few good spots to hit? Looking at hitting these places in the pic I attached.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
Re: GMU 627 shed hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
Just go take a walk and see. Look for rubbed trees and deer crap. With this much rain you should be able to see some tracks and it might give you an idea of what size the deer are. Walk slowly. The last time i went out i tracked it and it took me 2 hours to go 1 and a half miles. I still think it's a week or 2 early but I have found a couple this early before. If you don't find any in an area today wait a week before going back. Blacktail in an area like that are probably pretty used to humans as long as you don't chase them out of their beds too often. Also my suggestion is to not tell anyone where you are looking or where you find antlers. I had to learn this the hard way trying to be nice and it ruined an area.dont get discouraged. It's like anything else. It takes time to know what to look for. Time spent in the woods. Good luck

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 10:42:15 AM »
I already got all those!   :chuckle:

There is a shed hunting section in the "Other Activities" section of the main forum.  You might be able to find some tips by reading through old posts. 

BT sheds are notoriously difficult to find on the Wetside.   I've put on many many miles and never found one while actually looking for them.  First place to look is around the biggest conifers (possibly any group of large trees) in the area.  Deer concentrate on the lichens that get blown down during storms.  The biggest trees having the most lichen, and have the most food falling from them, which of course concentrates the deer in these areas during the winter.  Sounds good in theory, huh?  ;) 

Edit:  upon further reading on another subject, it occurred to me that searching under the biggest conifers in the geographic area is a tactic best utilized in areas that typically carry heavy snow loads much of the winter - when other common winter browse is unavailable or hard to access.  Perhaps that it why I have no shed finds using this technique.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 02:56:03 PM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 07:44:40 PM »
Besides what Fish&Fur just said (or, perhaps ignore it.. :tung:), this is a really good time to get out for blacktail sheds.  In my opinion it is too early, but the woods are in their best condition to find sheds, because the blackberries are beaten down, the broadleaf maple leaves are wet and heavy on the forest floor, and the heavy rains have pushed down any other flora that could obscure your view.

Blacktail sheds are hard to find because of their color---the brown horns look exactly like the forest floor.  And, deer don't necessarily follow trails.  So, how do you find them?

The answer, sadly, is this: You have to get lucky.  Walk very slowly, eyes to the ground.  It actually helps to bring some old antlers, thrown them on the ground to see what they look like.

I have found sheds only when I wasn't trying, if that helps at all.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 09:20:33 PM »
Walk slower guys. This is one from last year

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 09:32:17 PM »
Eric M - go ahead, rub it in. 

Besides what Fish&Fur just said (or, perhaps ignore it.. :tung:), this is a really good time to get out for blacktail sheds.  In my opinion it is too early, but the woods are in their best condition to find sheds, because the blackberries are beaten down, the broadleaf maple leaves are wet and heavy on the forest floor, and the heavy rains have pushed down any other flora that could obscure your view.

Blacktail sheds are hard to find because of their color---the brown horns look exactly like the forest floor.  And, deer don't necessarily follow trails.  So, how do you find them?

The answer, sadly, is this: You have to get lucky.  Walk very slowly, eyes to the ground.  It actually helps to bring some old antlers, thrown them on the ground to see what they look like.

I have found sheds only when I wasn't trying, if that helps at all.

So just what does PD stand for anyways?  Po Dunk is all I can come up with.  :dunno: :chuckle:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
Eric M - go ahead, rub it in. 

HA. Sorry that wasn't the intention. Just trying to show how they can blend in. There was a thread on that last year I think. I posted this one and a couple others showing how they can be tough to spot. Of course I had a friend find one hanging on a branch. I've also stopped for one reason, looked down at my feet and found one. I was looking for one last year( the match to a big 4 point) and as slow as I was walking and looking right at it, I still almost stepped on it in the ferns. When you think that unpressured blacktail live in a pretty small area and you never find the match to a nice one, well it's frustrating. Then, maybe a coyote just ran off with it.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 12:38:47 AM »
No worries.   Just kidding.  Nice find! 
Down here, I think the deer just dig a hole and bury them. 

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 10:36:35 AM »

So just what does PD stand for anyways?  Po Dunk is all I can come up with.  :dunno: :chuckle:

Well, according to my "friends," PD stands for "pretty dumb" (as in "that was a pretty dumb arsed thing you just did....").  It is not just my hunting buddies who think that, my wife piles on as well.

:hello:

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 12:52:56 PM »
Ahhh, that makes total sense!   :chuckle: :chuckle:

Are you doing any shed hunting on your island?  Seems like you should be waist deep in them.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 03:24:12 PM »
PD is right its still early, but the woods are the best condition for finding sheds until green up starts mid march.

Fishnfur I have had my best luck in tall conifers. I think bucks in all locales like it. But it could be it just more open to actually see rather than blackberry choked reprod tunnels :chuckle: Even more than the terrain, the fact the deer move so little makes it very tough IMO. If you KNOW where a big buck is living wait until mid February and then comb. Odds are your best. Even then I once located a single off a stud 3 point I had seen who was recently shed. Took me 4 hours to find the side. I spent a ton more searching for the other, never found it. Probably could find it now rotted in the dead understory, now the reprod has grown up :chuckle:

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 03:38:25 PM »
I like your style EricM, unless its a political thread pics should be made mandatory :chuckle:

Heres a couple.....

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 03:47:23 PM »
I like your style EricM, unless its a political thread pics should be made mandatory :chuckle:

Heres a couple.....
Nice pictures! Here were a couple other tough ones.

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »
I found this February 20th of last year.

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
In case you were wondering, it was a big buck.   :o

Posting photos from a cell phone is not for beginners, apparently.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand