collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Car buying vs. Boat buying  (Read 6929 times)

Offline scotsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
Re: Car buying vs. Boat buying
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 11:34:40 AM »
Go to the show, but instead of looking at new boats ask to see their list of used / consigned boats. Just like with cars, some people with more money than brains trade in every couple of years to have the ‘newest and best’. After the show those nice trade ins will pop up both in dealers lists and CL.

Whatever you do, dont buy at the show. Thise Show Only prices will be good for another month or so after the show closes - this will give you some cool down time both to look for comparisons and better financing. If you must buy at the show, go with your financing pre qualified. Alaska Credit Union specializes in boat finacing and always has good rates. Also being pre qualified gives you lots of bargaining leverage.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
It really depends on the boat and what is available on the market.  When I was looking, used boats that were ran pretty hard were selling for maybe $3k less than a new one and they didn't have the options I wanted.  For $3k, I was more than happy to have a brand new boat, motor and trailer, break the motor in myself and have the exact motor and options package I wanted.

Before that, I always bought used because I could get a decent boat for 1/3 to 1/2 of new and I didn't care what it looked like.

My boat is the only vehicle I have ever bought new and I'm 100% glad I made that decision.  If I could have saved $10k, I would have gone used, but the used market for nice aluminum boats in the mid length range that are very well taken care of can be extremely tight.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »
Go to the show, but instead of looking at new boats ask to see their list of used / consigned boats. Just like with cars, some people with more money than brains trade in every couple of years to have the ‘newest and best’. After the show those nice trade ins will pop up both in dealers lists and CL.

Whatever you do, dont buy at the show. Thise Show Only prices will be good for another month or so after the show closes - this will give you some cool down time both to look for comparisons and better financing. If you must buy at the show, go with your financing pre qualified. Alaska Credit Union specializes in boat finacing and always has good rates. Also being pre qualified gives you lots of bargaining leverage.

Good advice there.  Another thing about show boats is they are notoriously underpowered - they put the smallest motor they can on to get the attention grabbing price.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 11:39:57 AM »
Two best days of a boat owners life: the day he buys it, and the day he sells it!

You know what b-o-a-t stands for.
Bust out another thousand, you will never get back. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Only ever said by people who don't spend time in their boat or who only ever spend time on someone else's boat.....
:yeah:
Or those too lazy or cheap to do preventative maintenance or buy crappy boats to begin with.  Unless you hare having a specific boat built always buy used, let them take the depreciation and go over every inch of it with a fine tooth comb or have a reputable mechanic give it a physical.

Offline archeryfreak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »
I bought new in March of 2017.  There's little to no wiggle room on the overall price.  Make sure you get the safety package (life vests, fire exgtinguisher, whistle, etc..)  safety package, depth finder, pole holders, and anchor package.  I was able to get all of that for free, plus boat show pricing from Clemens.  I believe the Eugene boat show is still to come, so you can take advantage of that option from Clemens since they have a shop down there.  PM if any other info needed.
Just another squirrel tryin to get a nut!

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 01:14:54 PM »
Two best days of a boat owners life: the day he buys it, and the day he sells it!

Bust out another thousand, you will never get back. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Only ever said by people who don't spend time in their boat or who only ever spend time on someone else's boat.....
:yeah:
Or those too lazy or cheap to do preventative maintenance or buy crappy boats to begin with.  Unless you hare having a specific boat built always buy used, let them take the depreciation and go over every inch of it with a fine tooth comb or have a reputable mechanic give it a physical.
Says the guy that calls me cheap and lazy ,always buy used. :chuckle: :chuckle:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 01:44:18 PM »
Here's my advise if it's long term boat that your not gonna resell spend the 💰 and get something nice ,that's gonna fulfill your needs for many years,If you may resell don't expect what you paid worse than selling a car.Buying new just like a car ,price,payment,interest rate,is always negotiated.Cash is king and always talks the loudest,best of luck. :tup: :twocents:
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 02:51:24 PM »
I bought a new boat about 6 years ago and there was plenty of wiggle room. I was able to get a year older hull that was never in the water for about 1/2 the price of the current model. If you look around there's still deals to be found on new boats. Also if you're coming to Spokane for the boat show you might as well drive over and check out Elephant Boys. They no longer go to show but have a lot of boat options.

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »
Thanks guys, a lot to consider. 1st boat purchase, so all new. but I'm a stickler, and if it aint what i want, not getting. Plus once again, my kids are all getting to the age of going out to fish, not super excited about the headaches of tangled lines, but, it is the memories. If I buy in Oregon, sorry to beat a dead horse, buy boat/trailer on one invoice, and buy the rest on another to save from taxes, did I understand that correctly? My wife saw the Smokercraft at the Sportsman show in Pasco, she was like, I actually like that boat.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 02:55:37 PM »
I actually did at the end of waterfowl season last year, just wasn't ready to pull the trigger than, now I just might. They have good deals in there, and no hassle from the sales guy there.

I bought a new boat about 6 years ago and there was plenty of wiggle room. I was able to get a year older hull that was never in the water for about 1/2 the price of the current model. If you look around there's still deals to be found on new boats. Also if you're coming to Spokane for the boat show you might as well drive over and check out Elephant Boys. They no longer go to show but have a lot of boat options.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
If buying aluminum hull pay attention to thickness of hull..   .80 is a tracker , smoker craft ETC. you will want at least a .100 hull thickness 3/16 is even better.I have seen several tracker, smoker craft and also alumaweld and sea ark hulls crack after one season of use.Do some research on hull thickness and save yourself some grief.If you really want to save some money go back east have a custom built and go pick it up .Check out a company called Long Beach customs in mississippi .Or oquawka boats.These hulls are custom made and cost no more then a cookie cutter hull.And the are tanks.
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 08:49:00 PM »
If buying aluminum hull pay attention to thickness of hull..   .80 is a tracker , smoker craft ETC. you will want at least a .100 hull thickness 3/16 is even better.I have seen several tracker, smoker craft and also alumaweld and sea ark hulls crack after one season of use.Do some research on hull thickness and save yourself some grief.If you really want to save some money go back east have a custom built and go pick it up .Check out a company called Long Beach customs in mississippi .Or oquawka boats.These hulls are custom made and cost no more then a cookie cutter hull.And the are tanks.

For average use, the Alumawelds are fine.  I beat the crap out of mine in all kinds of weather on the Sound for about 8 years and had absolutely no hull/aluminum issues.

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 09:05:52 PM »

Couldn't agree more.

If you think of a boat as a toy, you will eventually grow to hate it for the maintenance.

If you commit to the idea of a boat being a lifestyle choice, it can be incredibly rewarding.

Marketers make you think you can do everything in this life. But if you try, you'll end up not really doing anything except writing checks.

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
To answer your question about buying in OR, yes two invoices or even three if you are financing it.
I bought the SuperVee at Clemens in OR. They have done several sales for guys in Wa and were great to deal with. That said Gary at Verles said he could almost match their price to compensate for the taxes.

For the guys saying buy used, The aluminum hull market is tough and guys are getting almost as much money for a couple year old boat as a new one. Plus I have the lifetime hull warranty that goes with the new boat and the 3 year warranty on both my motors.

I am sitting right at 42 with a tandem trailer, yes I recommend getting a tandem if you go over 18 feet.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 09:24:54 PM »

For average use, the Alumawelds are fine.  I beat the crap out of mine in all kinds of weather on the Sound for about 8 years and had absolutely no hull/aluminum issues.

Agree 100%.  OP doesn't need anything more than a .100 hull for what he's planning to do, and there are thousands of .080 hulls out there that work just fine.  I ran a welded .100 thick Smokercraft Rogue 1686 hard for years and had zero issues.  Welds were ugly, but the ducks and fish didn't seem to mind.

Just commit to taking care of your boat, it will last.

KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]