collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Atlantic Salmon  (Read 16030 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: Atlantic Salmon
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 11:37:20 PM »

Also, they are not hardly competing with the native fish for food either as hundreds of them sampled in the beginning had no forage fish in their stomachs.

You caught some. Did you use power bait?  Or something that mimicked a bait fish?

Yes, however, like a salmon returning to the rivers, I believe it was more of an instinctive strike and once grabbed, they did not know what to do with something that was not a pellet, hence no forage fish in the stomach contents of at least 200 that I know of (there was actually one, I think, that had a herring in it).

j_h_    the loudest voice against the fish farms are the tribal and non-tribal commercial interests IMO.
Alaska and California are big proponents right?

AK and CA?  You talk about crap that seems like you are pulling it out of your butt.  The loudest voice I heard against the evil fish came from the tribes... until they were offered money to catch them, then it quieted down substantially.  They were making enough money from these fish that they could hire a helicopter to look for schools of them.

Settle down, now. Don't take the bait Loki, so to speak.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 11:37:43 PM »
Why do otherwise intelligent people think that Atlantic salmon would have any better chance of thriving here with no additional benefits vs. the Pacific salmon that have genetically adapted to this coast and are being given every possible, probable, and improbable advantage?  It is not like the Atlantic’s are being dropped into a super rich environment ready for an invasive species to take advantage of. The Atlantics have proven they are as susceptible to decline on their native coast as Pacifics are on theirs.

Why would anyone think the walleyed pike would thrive in the Columbia River? Or that Chinese lice would play Hell with blacktail deer?

It is small minded not to consider the dangers of invasive species.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 11:48:49 PM »
How about you look up the definition of invasive species? Atlantics in no way fit it.

I'm done here until someone can actually show some evidence that pen raised salmon are a problem.  They are a scapegoat to the real problems that our native fish face.  All I've seen is conjecture and hyperbole.... 

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 11:50:13 PM »
Why do otherwise intelligent people think that Atlantic salmon would have any better chance of thriving here with no additional benefits vs. the Pacific salmon that have genetically adapted to this coast and are being given every possible, probable, and improbable advantage?  It is not like the Atlantic’s are being dropped into a super rich environment ready for an invasive species to take advantage of. The Atlantics have proven they are as susceptible to decline on their native coast as Pacifics are on theirs.

Why would anyone think the walleyed pike would thrive in the Columbia River? Or that Chinese lice would play Hell with blacktail deer?

It is small minded not to consider the dangers of invasive species.

I'm on the opposite side of the hatchery argument as Sitka Blacktail,  but agree 100% with this.

(And Walleye are still doing quite well in the Big C, I can personally attest)
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 12:15:38 AM »
How about you look up the definition of invasive species? Atlantics in no way fit it.

I'm done here until someone can actually show some evidence that pen raised salmon are a problem.  They are a scapegoat to the real problems that our native fish face.  All I've seen is conjecture and hyperbole....

Atlantic salmon... in the Pacific Ocean... Not in any way invasive?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasive_species

Is the fish finally meeting the Wikipedia definition of "Invasive" the standard that needs to be met before you'll admit this isn't a good thing?  The damage needs to be done first?  What do you get out of that outcome?  Isn't that simply the fact that these are known to be a relatively agressive fish https://academic.oup.com/icesjms/article/63/7/1162/752771 and competitive with Pacific Salmon enough to say this escape was a bad thing?  We know it can't be a good thing. That much is certain, isn't it?  It may in fact be that these fish pose little risk, but the truth is we don't know that. They certainly pose less risk if they hadn't escaped. The premise these escaped fish cause no harm is more speculative than the premise they do cause some harm.  Why not admit that fact and get on board with stricter regulation, higher standards for pen construction/maintenance, and severe penalties for failure to protect the environment the endangered native runs need to survive?
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 05:08:43 AM »
These fish are not "bringing disease with them", unlike domestic sheep, this is a completely inaccurate comparison.  These fish did not live in some foreign wild location where they would pick up diseases that our native fish are not ready to fight.

Also, they are not hardly competing with the native fish for food either as hundreds of them sampled in the beginning had no forage fish in their stomachs.  The most recent fish I have seen a photo of was one caught near Sultan a month or so ago, it looked like a cigar with fins it was so skinny....

The largest environmental impact is probably the increased organic waste around the net pen area causing potential problems for bottom dwellers nearby. However, the amount of organics from these pens likely pales in comparison to the amount of organics pumped into the Sound from treated and untreated sewage as well as runoff from all those big green lawns surrounding the Sound.
Seriously?  Dumping parasiticides into the water has zero impact? Could you find the chemical concoction used in the broadcast dumping?

Broadcast dumping of what?  Cite your sources!  Anything given to treat these fish was in their food.  Broadcast "dumping" is a completely inefficient way to treat anything in an open system like an open water fish farm.
http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/27/business/cooke-aquaculture-to-pay-490k-after-illegal-pesticides-kill-lobsters-in-canada/
Yeah, making it up.  cypermethrin- sounds like organic matter!

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 05:21:10 AM »

Also, they are not hardly competing with the native fish for food either as hundreds of them sampled in the beginning had no forage fish in their stomachs.

You caught some. Did you use power bait?  Or something that mimicked a bait fish?

Yes, however, like a salmon returning to the rivers, I believe it was more of an instinctive strike and once grabbed, they did not know what to do with something that was not a pellet, hence no forage fish in the stomach contents of at least 200 that I know of (there was actually one, I think, that had a herring in it).

j_h_    the loudest voice against the fish farms are the tribal and non-tribal commercial interests IMO.
Alaska and California are big proponents right?

AK and CA?  You talk about crap that seems like you are pulling it out of your butt.  The loudest voice I heard against the evil fish came from the tribes... until they were offered money to catch them, then it quieted down substantially.  They were making enough money from these fish that they could hire a helicopter to look for schools of them.

Settle down, now. Don't take the bait Loki, so to speak.
You guys crack me up.  The loudest voice against? They are already banned in Ak and California, that seems to represent strong opposition.  There is definitely more evidence out there about the negatives besides the junk science your group produces. Show me some peer lit reviews of Russ and all the good science you guys produce.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 12:04:48 PM »
 :chuckle: I do find it kinda funny and ironic that the loudest advocate against salmon farming is the commercial fishermen. Makes sense tho, if salmon farms were completely done away with in Washington then the price per pound for commercial caught Wild Hatchery salmon would most likely double.

Seems to me any environmental problems-pollution related caused by salmon farming is only minute compared to all the other issues related to salmon stock demise.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 05:19:32 PM »
I don’t know how anyone could think that thousands of non-native fish released into Puget Sound could be ok. Farm salmon won’t end the wild runs, it’s the combination of everything. Loss of habitat, fertilizer, copper piping in houses, micro plastics, changing climates, oil and runoff from roads, sewage, etc., etc. The Atlantic salmon release was one more thing that will be a detriment to what’s left of the wild stocks.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 11:14:14 PM »
I caught a 7-8ish pound hen ten miles east of the Howard-Miller launch on the skagit. 28th of December and her roe was coming out loose when I landed her.  I couldn’t believe it.

The tribe boats below Lyman were getting quite a few in the gill nets.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 10:06:10 AM »
Rainbow trout are fed pellets and then released where they figure out how to both eat and breed.

Saying the chance of eating, breeding or carrying diseases is 0% seems foolish to me looking back in history every time humans think we have it all figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »
Rainbow trout are fed pellets and then released where they figure out how to both eat and breed.

Saying the chance of eating, breeding or carrying diseases is 0% seems foolish to me looking back in history every time humans think we have it all figured out.

Rainbow trout are also native to the Pacific Northwest.
This is not the first time Atlantic Salmon have been released in Puget Sound and they have never formed a breeding population. I'm not saying it can't happen but all prior data would indicate that it won't.
The upside is it looks like the farm on Cyprus Island is getting shut down permanently.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
So if you put it in a native stream it eats, but if not it won’t?

We don’t know Atlantic’s have not bred.  We haven’t seen evidence.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »
My buddy caught a hen Atlantic on the upper Skagit in mid January. He said her eggs weren’t mature but they were getting there.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline plugger

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2018, 04:44:12 AM »
Sure.  I have seen no credible evidence that these fish, or the farms, are actually having a detrimental effect on the native salmon.  There have been similar fish farms in the area for forty years including attempts in the late 1800's to actually establish runs and the decline in native salmon has not correlated to these fish being here. 

These fish are at more risk of catching diseases from native salmon than the other way around as these fish did not evolve with native pathogens. If the argument is that these fish are a reservoir for disease, then this argument should be made toward hatcheries of any kind as well. There was little evidence that these fish were successfully consuming forage fish, so it actually surprises me and the "experts" I know that there are even any left, though they did start with massive fat reserves. Some people claim these fish are "toxic", I'd bet dollars to donuts that an Elliot Bay salmon has higher toxin levels than a farmed fish since, I have no doubt the fish food is monitored for such things whereas, especially South Sound, forage fish are not.

As far as them going up the rivers, these fish have spent their lives in a giant school and probably just latched onto whatever congregation of fish they came across.

I am a proponent of farmed fish because I believe they take a lot of pressure off of "wild" fish being caught for human food.  Face it, humans like to eat salmon and our wild populations cannot support the level of harvest to supply this demand, especially here in WA. 

Could/should Cooke have done a better job? I'm sure the answer is yes.  We require oil tankers to be double hulled, why not a double net barrier for these farms?

I hope this helps.

I have to agree with you lokidog, Not to mention there are some peoples careers at stake here. They pay a decent wage and its not easy to find a job in port angeles that does.  I really don't understand why the commercial guys appose the pens so much, Ay this point, closing them down in this state wont effect there bottom line, The fish will just be produced somewhere else.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]