collapse
Double U Hunting Supply Be a more successful hunter!

Author Topic: Ever get kicked by a doe?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Ever get kicked by a doe?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
Wow, there are some great stories in here, thanks for sharing.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
Not kicked, but a couple incidents with critters.  A couple buddies of mine and I were doing some recon for an upcoming turkey hunt deep into some public land in Missouri.  We had met up and were discussing world problems when a doe ran up to us and slammed on the brakes not 3 feet from us.  She went arse over tea kettle right between the 3 of us, got up and stood there for 2-3 seconds.  We were just bug eyed at that point. 

Incident #2, I went to tag a huge tom I just shot and he was not quite dead yet, unbeknownst to me.  That thing wanted to kill me.  I'll just say, a 24 lb turkey flapping it's wings at your face is not an ideal situation.

Incident #3.  I got bit by a Canada goose.  Those things can be really mean.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

So many free days, so few fish....

Offline bigmacc

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »
Another close call at darn near getting beat up by a deer happened not to long ago. Myself and my brother who is retired Army S.F/Green Beret(and that comes in handy later in the story :tup:) were hunting one of our old family honey holes, not a soul/hunter in sight(a rarity in the Methow) or any deer in sight for that matter. As some know, numbers have been dropping in the Methow and this was a "spot" we knew we may see a good buck let alone a legal buck. My brother had already killed his buck and we kept hitting this spot day after day, he was my 2nd set of eyes. We went in one day and right off the bat I spotted some does at around 300 yrds, we kept glassing and I seen horns and a BIG body comming out of a thicket. We watched him moving around in the thicket messing with the does(11of them) when my brother says "he's got 3, but look at the size of him!) I picked him up again in my binos as he was standing next to a doe(still in the thicket) and he was twice the size! He eventually gave me a clean shot(after about 20 min) and I took it. Boom!, the buck drops out of sight and all the does bust out in all different directions like they were shot out of a cannon. We sit and watch for about a 15-20 min because when I squeezed off the shot I told my brother the buck had made a move. We decided to walk up to where he dropped, no deer, no blood, no sign of a deer "beatin feet" to get out of Dodge except for the area the does where in. We started the "center out- circle" method and found no blood, zero. It was a cold, quiet morning when the shot was taken, we both herd the "thwack" of a round hitting and crushing bone, we seen him drop, he was dead in our book. Well, we started fanning out but still no blood, hours went by and more went by then about 2 hours before dark my brother(who has tracking in his SF training) meet up in a pre-determined spot that was about a mile away from where the shot was made, we are consoling each other about the 1st deer either of us have ever lost, when my brother looked down and found a spot of blood on a leaf the size of a pin head(and that is the truth!), he said"lets go bud" and off we went. We would go about 10' and see 1 little drop, and that went on for about 100 yards or so, 1 drop, 1 drop, 1 drop, all the size of a pin head. What we started seeing was distressed dirt but only a track here and there. My brother said "he's trying to get up hill", how he figured that from the mess we were following was beyond me, it looked like someone was ahead of us with a stick, trying to wipe away his tracks. Now we were in rock, lots of rock and we couldn't find blood, he said we need to go up, I,m thinking wounded deer don't "go up" but up we went. We went up about 50 yards and then leveled out and came to a bluff. We both stood there and said "he's around this corner", we both had that feeling. I led the way around the outcropping and there was the buck laying in the rocks facing us like a Labrador retriever sitting in front of a fireplace. The buck was HUGE, wounded, pissed and only about 10 feet away when I came around those rocks! I put a round in him right where the heart should be, boom! He raised up on his haunches and started pawing at us with his front feet, I squeezed off another from the hip. He layed his head down, we high-5,d, hugged and we just sat there for a few minutes when I looked at him from about 5 feet away and noticed his nostrils were still flareing, he was still trying to live. I put 2 more rounds into his heart from point blank. He was dead. We started the process and noticed both back legs were missing just below the knees, the story finally came together. The first shot I took(when he moved) took off BOTH back legs, he dropped into a little swell that we couldn't see into and crawled on his front legs for over a mile! We didn't find blood because of the legs hit, we eventually found the small drop by chance at our meeting place, then we found the turned up dirt(dragging himself with his front legs). That buck had a will to live and my brother had a will to find him. If we would not have met up in that one precise spot that little drop of blood would not have been found and the tracking puzzle would not have come together...thanks bro :tup:.......296 lb(field dressed) 3 by 3, bio figured him at about 340-350 live weight :tup:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:47:16 PM by bigmacc »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »
Great story that's a monster buck. Any pictures of that bad boy?

Offline bigmacc

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 05:29:35 PM »
Great story that's a monster buck. Any pictures of that bad boy?

Yep Skyvalhunter, they were on the "back at camp" thread when I first started here, I took some pictures off because someone told me they were copying them, I don't know how this crap works so I had my secretary :chuckle: take a bunch of them off, ...thank you dear(my wife), love ya :tup:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 05:35:16 PM »
Totally understand!! My guess is it was in the good old days of the Methow!!

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 05:49:11 PM »
I had a spike buck sneak in behind me once and sniff the back of my neck. Scared the he'll out of me ( I might have dosed off )  :chuckle:
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline bigmacc

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 06:08:48 PM »
Totally understand!! My guess is it was in the good old days of the Methow!!

The stories were even better back in the "good ole days" of the Methow, this one was about 10 years ago :tup:

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 10:56:56 PM »
Had one step on my toes once. She was in a string of five that ran passed me. I tapped the last one on the butt with the barrel of my rifle.

Hah!  :tup:

Offline nwwanderer

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 05:46:45 AM »
Had a few try removing them from fences, fronts much worse than rears, be careful out there!

Offline Avalanche

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: BHA
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »
I had a spike buck sneak in behind me once and sniff the back of my neck. Scared the he'll out of me ( I might have dosed off )  :chuckle:

:chuckle: That's too funny!
Thanks for all the great stories.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2018, 03:28:36 PM »
Never been kicked by a doe, but I have been kicked by a couple of dead bucks.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 02:41:52 PM »
No but I've been pissed by a hick!!
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline 2MANY

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 03:19:41 PM »
Jane Doe?

Offline highhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 10:41:16 PM »
A longtime family friend who has since passed grabbed his ďdeadĒ 3x4 by the antlers to get it in position to gut it. However, it was not dead, just stunned, and when it got up itís antlers got entangled in his blaze orange and proceeded to break 4 ribs and cut him up to the tune of 37 stitches on his chest. My grandpa said he deserved it because he knew it was the second buck he had shot that year in Washington. -Iíve always approached downed game cautiously ever since.

-and the deer escaped!

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
Never had one try to hurt me but i shot a buck who was pretty hot after a doe this year and she circled me the whole 3 hours of dragging him out.

* Recent Topics

2018 Multi-season Elk permit, Who's putting in. I am! by jeffitz
[Today at 09:53:15 PM]

Guided Elk.....where would you go? by 257 Wby Mag
[Today at 09:31:56 PM]

Everything about tires by Special T
[Today at 09:30:24 PM]

ISO kids 4 wheeler or go kart by dontgetcrabs
[Today at 09:25:09 PM]

WTB 20 ga shotgun by CSherwood
[Today at 09:19:04 PM]

For Sale- KUIU ICON PRO 5200/1850 PACK by RIVERRAT