collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ever get kicked by a doe?  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Avalanche

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: BHA
Ever get kicked by a doe?
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:35:35 PM »
Over the last few years I've had a few very close encounters with does. This year I had two situations with does coming about 5 feet from me and I started to worry about getting kicked. That, plus the article about getting hit by a falling goose made me wonder, has anyone been kicked by a doe?

Seems like they could turn your knee inside out if they wanted.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Ever get kicked by a doe?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »
I’ve had such a close encounter calling bears I literally yelled out thought I was getting mauled. It was cool but she never touched me. Definetly a foot or two away

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 07:13:31 PM »
Never been kicked. But I have had two experiences where does simply would not leave me alone. Followed me around for 1/2 hour or so at really close range. Both were quite a ways out in the wilderness.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Avalanche

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:35:41 PM »
I’ve had such a close encounter calling bears I literally yelled out thought I was getting mauled. It was cool but she never touched me. Definetly a foot or two away

That's crazy! Did she run after she realized what you were?

Never been kicked. But I have had two experiences where does simply would not leave me alone. Followed me around for 1/2 hour or so at really close range. Both were quite a ways out in the wilderness.

Yeah, it seems like the wilderness does are a little strange. I've had two close ones with Mule deer does in the wilderness. This year a group of 3 fed right up to me on a snowy trail and they just kept coming. It was snowing hard and I was wearing Kuiu Vias camo, so maybe they had a hard time telling if I was a solid object or something. One of them was close to walking into me so I started moving my eyes a bunch and they finally detoured but never spooked.
In late season I shot a whitetail and was gutting him out right around the end of shooting light. All of a sudden I heard something in the brush literally right behind me. My first thought was cougar so I jumped up and yelled, almost stabbing myself in the process. It was a doe and she was about 5 feet from me, just staring. Really weird encounter.

Offline deerhuntr4885

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 09:15:29 PM »
Had one step on my toes once. She was in a string of five that ran passed me. I tapped the last one on the butt with the barrel of my rifle.
Mike Henne

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:47:27 PM »
Had a big white tail doe I shot a couple years ago go down hard and I went out and started to do a carotid stick (not slit the throat, pull the head back slightly and stick a small 3-4” knife in the pit of the throat with an upward flick.  Creates a very thorough bleed without collapsing the circulatory system).  As I stuck and flicked the deer did a Jackie Chan backwards 360 degree cartwheel kick.   I was ready for some reaction after handling dozens of deer and other animals this way, but this doe completely exploded and gave me a good shot to the thigh and catching my off arm. No bodily damage except a bruised thigh and a tear in the arm of my new 800 fill down jacket. Buddy said he saw the deer come completely off the ground on it’s side with legs out and turn into a Tasmanian Devil cartoon with down feathers and snow instead of dust. The deer was dead, but the next time I went up to it I gave it a coup de gras to the skull with my pistol :o. I was wearing heavy gear because it was around 0 degrees, could have been worse in early season gear.

I have been within arms reach of a few Sitka Blacktail does while calling or stalking and never had issues.

Offline Avalanche

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:38:42 PM »
Good stories!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 06:58:53 PM »
I was bear hunting one time in the high cascades and saw a doe with two fawns. I put my rifle down and started acting like a deer, looking around, acted like I was eating branches and leaves without looking at them in the eye.  I figured I was the first human those fawns have seen, they were about 30 yards away when I first saw them. The two fawns ended up to within inches of my face, almost nose to nose, Mom just watched and ate staying where she was.  It was very cool!  When I finally looked one of the fawns in the eye they jumped back a few yards, then walked over to their mom. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
I used to practice stalking and walking up on does when I was a teen in the '70s.
I was warned to not touch them. I was close enough on many occasions to touch them but never did. I would talk to them after sneaking up on them and they would turn abruptly and look at me. Then they would run a little ways and turn back to look at me.
Sure was a lot of fun.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 02:15:27 PM »
I've grabbed the tail of two yearlings  :chuckle: and held on! First one was at Wallowa Lake in the snow. She drug me a ways before I released her tail. My dad was feeding them chips and apple slices out of his mouth  :tup:  and i wanted to ride one! I was 5 or 6. second was more of a fawn and I was about 7-8. found her in the field next to my dads place and grabbed her tail. she hopped up and started to pull and bleat, and when momma started my way i turned tail and ran back to the house!  :bdid: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 02:30:44 PM »
Years ago with my stepdad, we had a 3x3 at about 50 yds. As we line up the ol man informs he that it is his turn to shoot first, ok pop. I waited for what seemed like 10 min waiting for him to shoot. When he finally touched off, there stood that buck, untouched. I set the cross hairs behind his ear and touched off, piled him, DRT. The ol man was playfully chewing on me about how I could have waited for him to shoot again. I reached down and grabbed a hind leg to start field dressing and that buck hauled off and drilled me square in the jewels and dropped me like a sack of feed. Pop about fell over laughing, told me it served me right for shooting that deer. I swear he laughed all the way home. Good times, I miss him.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 02:40:09 PM »
A few years ago I was hunting from a stand and arrowed a doe through her neck.  She dropped like a sack of potatoes, but on further inspection I saw that the arrow went through her neck and pinned her neck to her shoulder.  She was bleeding pretty good, but she was making a racket and I felt awful.  I quickly got down and instead of sticking another arrow in her, I decided to use my Socom knife.  I lifted her front leg and went to "gently" slide the knife between her ribs...as soon as the point dug in, she let out a fierce kick with her hind leg that caught me square in the tater sack, and yes, I also went down like a sack of potatoes.  I sat there eye to eye and I could swear there was a look of resigned satisfaction in her eye.  After a few minutes, I recovered, got my knife and went for round two, but made sure to make is swift and decisive, with my tenders turned away.  Lesson learned that day is not to mess around when putting an animal down. 

Offline Scuffy

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
A couple of years ago I was set up on an evening hunt in between the bedding area and the feed/watering source. I was on my knees with my back to the watering hole and getting into a good rattling set when all of a sudden I heard a thump behind me and a doe was jumping over my back. She landed just a few feet in front of me and stopped to look where the rattling was coming from. She only stood there a few seconds before heading into the bush looking for the sound.

Another time I was riding my quad up a hill when a doe jumped over me. I ducked to avoid her hoof from clipping the side of my head, but smashed my face into the steering column and bloodied my lip instead. I was a little dazed from hitting my face on the steering column, but that still didn’t save the side of my head from getting clipped by her hoof as well.

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
No but I have been drug through the brush by a spike

I was 18.  A few buddies and I were camping after graduation up on Hurricane Ridge.  There was way more alcohol than there should have been.  Well, one evening after having more than my fair share of drinks, I decided I wanted to ride a deer.  They had been coming into camp and eating Top Ramen from our hands.

I had a plan that I was going to hand feed one and then when it wasn't suspecting it, I would grab it's antler, swing my leg over it's back and ride it into the woods.

Well, a willing participant arrived later that night.  I held out the Top Ramen and it started to eat.  Everything was going to plan.  With my off hand, I slowly reached up and then in a flash BAM!  I grabbed an antler.  At the same time, I went to swing my leg over it's back but.......  I missed.

The deer took off.  Drunk me, I was too stupid to let go of the antler I had a hold of.  That deer drug me about 100' through the thick brush.  I came out totally scratched and cut up.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »
Yes, but in all fairness I was trying to slit her throat with a dull knife. She did leave a pretty good imprint on the inside of my thigh....   :o

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]