collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ever get kicked by a doe?  (Read 8664 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Ever get kicked by a doe?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 05:28:54 AM »
You lucky she didn't get you in the jimmies.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 07:15:23 AM »
Haven't got kicked, but I've does walk right under me while standing on a big stump. Thought abut jumping on one, but didn't do it !! Had more close encounters with elk than deer. I've had to find a tree to jump behind real quick when elk were on the trail I was on
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 07:48:37 AM »
Never unfortunate enough to get attacked but close. I was dozing off on a stump one dusk in NH and a big whitey buck followed my trail right up behind me. I was using fox pee as a cover on my boots. When I woke with a start and turned, he went up on his back legs, but then ran. I'd have been toast.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »
I got kicked real good bowhunting one year. I was hiking in to my blind in the fog, I spotted a doe on the trail maybe 20 feet out. I dropped my bag and reached in for my release when another came running up the embankment. I got broadsided and while we were both on the ground she kept bucking and flailing about. I ended up with some bruised ribs and and busted tooth.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 08:31:37 AM »
Had a doe at about a foot over at my dad's place in Mazama jump me but fortunately she got distracted and went after my poor lab instead. She gave her a kick and then ran about twenty feet and stopped. My dog charged after her and got kicked again before she came slinking back to me.

The scaredest I've ever been in the woods was when I jumped a cow elk out of her bed while fly fishing one summer. She must have been sound asleep because she waited until I had just about stepped on her in some real thick brush before she stood up. We had a stare down for what seemed an eternity and I just knew this would be how I was going to get killed. Eventually she turned and ran off and I had to stand there for a few minutes to collect myself. I don't think we were more than six inches nose to nose.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:02 AM »
I had a buddy get licked by a doe in the Alpine lakes.  It was pitch dark and he was taking a dump and 'in position' and she snuck up and licked him on the back of the neck.  It was terrifying for him and obviously hilarious for me.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »
I had a buddy get licked by a doe in the Alpine lakes.  It was pitch dark and he was taking a dump and 'in position' and she snuck up and licked him on the back of the neck.  It was terrifying for him and obviously hilarious for me.
And to this day he still believes a deer snuck up on him and licked his neck?  :chuckle: :sry:

I've had more bumps and dings than I can count taking deer and pronghorn out of fences and mugging net gunned, clover trapped and darted wildlife.  It's pretty humbling how strong a yearling deer can be compared to a grown up man!
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 11:11:35 AM »
:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »
My dad and I were helping feed deer in the Methow one winter in the mid 80,s, I had just purchased a brand new Ford pickup and it was its first trip. It was a tough winter that year in the Methow and about 5-6 feet of snow in the northern parts of the valley had pushed and congregated all the deer to the south, they were bunched up from Carleton down to the Columbia. The Game Department was subsidizing some of the orchard owners to cut holes in the fences to let the starving deer in to the orchards. We stopped in and bs,d with the Game guy we knew up at Winthrop and when we were getting ready to leave he asked if we could dump some deer feed in an orchard down off the Burma Road on our way out, he said the fences had been cut(this orchard was actually on Game Dept. property) and to drive in and spread the pellets, we said sure and threw about 20 bags into the truck. We got down to the orchard but could not see any deer as we were driving up the access road that had been kept plowed, then as we got closer to the orchard we could see ears and the tops of heads coming through the orchard, the snow was so deep the deer actually had trenches all through the orchard that they had made from eating off the trees. We stopped in a plowed out area they had made for turning around and before I could shut off the truck and open the door we were surrounded by about 200 deer, we could not get the doors open they were packed in around us so tightly! I literally had to crawl out an open window and into the back of the truck, they were trying to get into the back also, hooves all over my new truck, fighting amongst themselves to get to the food etc, it was chaos! I finally got a bag open and started tossing handfuls as far away from the truck as I could, the deer were sp hungry that really started a frenzy but gave me some room to open the tailgate and start dumping as my dad pulled forward a little. My dad stopped the truck as all the deer were swarming the bag, they where starving and had no fear of man! Within seconds I was being bum rushed by about 10 deer, I dropped the bag and ran for the truck and as I was diving into the back(tailgate down) 2 jumped in the back with me, I literally had to push them out of the truck! I closed the gate and just started dumping the bags right there, I dumped about 10 bags and then had my dad pull up and I dumped the rest right there in the turn around :chuckle:. I came out unscathed(very lucky) but my truck had a few scratches and a couple little dings, I had that truck for 25 years and never got those scratches or dings fixed, they were always good for a story :tup:

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
Another good story involves a buck not a doe. I think I told this story a few years ago on here but here it is again :chuckle: Back in the 70,s an old cowboy friend of mine was asked to take a bunch of guys from Outdoor Life magazine into an area in the Methow to do a story about "border jumpers", deer that were migrating out of Canada into the Methow. My friend said they took there rigs into an area where he told them they could get some good pictures of some big bucks. It was around thanksgiving and the rut was in full swing. My buddy said they all got out of there trucks and he told them there was a real big buck down in a hole just down hill off the road, my friend knew he was still in there because he could smell him, after about 5 minutes my friend spotted him just down the bank about 30 or so yards, the camera guy was scrambling to get set up for some pictures when he decided to go down the bank a little to get better shots. As the big buck put his head down and started walking up hill towards the group, my friend yelled at the camera guy to "get the hell back up here!" The buck started picking up the pace as the camera guy was scrambling to get up the hill, they all got around to the other side of the truck as the rutted up buck rammed the truck not once but twice! My friend had the picture of him and the Outdoor Life bunch all standing by the truck with holes by the rear wheel well, the picture hung on his wall for years :tup:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:10:26 PM by bigmacc »

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »
Wow, there are some great stories in here, thanks for sharing.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 01:48:00 PM »
Not kicked, but a couple incidents with critters.  A couple buddies of mine and I were doing some recon for an upcoming turkey hunt deep into some public land in Missouri.  We had met up and were discussing world problems when a doe ran up to us and slammed on the brakes not 3 feet from us.  She went arse over tea kettle right between the 3 of us, got up and stood there for 2-3 seconds.  We were just bug eyed at that point. 

Incident #2, I went to tag a huge tom I just shot and he was not quite dead yet, unbeknownst to me.  That thing wanted to kill me.  I'll just say, a 24 lb turkey flapping it's wings at your face is not an ideal situation.

Incident #3.  I got bit by a Canada goose.  Those things can be really mean.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »
Another close call at darn near getting beat up by a deer happened not to long ago. Myself and my brother who is retired Army S.F/Green Beret(and that comes in handy later in the story :tup:) were hunting one of our old family honey holes, not a soul/hunter in sight(a rarity in the Methow) or any deer in sight for that matter. As some know, numbers have been dropping in the Methow and this was a "spot" we knew we may see a good buck let alone a legal buck. My brother had already killed his buck and we kept hitting this spot day after day, he was my 2nd set of eyes. We went in one day and right off the bat I spotted some does at around 300 yrds, we kept glassing and I seen horns and a BIG body comming out of a thicket. We watched him moving around in the thicket messing with the does(11of them) when my brother says "he's got 3, but look at the size of him!) I picked him up again in my binos as he was standing next to a doe(still in the thicket) and he was twice the size! He eventually gave me a clean shot(after about 20 min) and I took it. Boom!, the buck drops out of sight and all the does bust out in all different directions like they were shot out of a cannon. We sit and watch for about a 15-20 min because when I squeezed off the shot I told my brother the buck had made a move. We decided to walk up to where he dropped, no deer, no blood, no sign of a deer "beatin feet" to get out of Dodge except for the area the does where in. We started the "center out- circle" method and found no blood, zero. It was a cold, quiet morning when the shot was taken, we both herd the "thwack" of a round hitting and crushing bone, we seen him drop, he was dead in our book. Well, we started fanning out but still no blood, hours went by and more went by then about 2 hours before dark my brother(who has tracking in his SF training) meet up in a pre-determined spot that was about a mile away from where the shot was made, we are consoling each other about the 1st deer either of us have ever lost, when my brother looked down and found a spot of blood on a leaf the size of a pin head(and that is the truth!), he said"lets go bud" and off we went. We would go about 10' and see 1 little drop, and that went on for about 100 yards or so, 1 drop, 1 drop, 1 drop, all the size of a pin head. What we started seeing was distressed dirt but only a track here and there. My brother said "he's trying to get up hill", how he figured that from the mess we were following was beyond me, it looked like someone was ahead of us with a stick, trying to wipe away his tracks. Now we were in rock, lots of rock and we couldn't find blood, he said we need to go up, I,m thinking wounded deer don't "go up" but up we went. We went up about 50 yards and then leveled out and came to a bluff. We both stood there and said "he's around this corner", we both had that feeling. I led the way around the outcropping and there was the buck laying in the rocks facing us like a Labrador retriever sitting in front of a fireplace. The buck was HUGE, wounded, pissed and only about 10 feet away when I came around those rocks! I put a round in him right where the heart should be, boom! He raised up on his haunches and started pawing at us with his front feet, I squeezed off another from the hip. He layed his head down, we high-5,d, hugged and we just sat there for a few minutes when I looked at him from about 5 feet away and noticed his nostrils were still flareing, he was still trying to live. I put 2 more rounds into his heart from point blank. He was dead. We started the process and noticed both back legs were missing just below the knees, the story finally came together. The first shot I took(when he moved) took off BOTH back legs, he dropped into a little swell that we couldn't see into and crawled on his front legs for over a mile! We didn't find blood because of the legs hit, we eventually found the small drop by chance at our meeting place, then we found the turned up dirt(dragging himself with his front legs). That buck had a will to live and my brother had a will to find him. If we would not have met up in that one precise spot that little drop of blood would not have been found and the tracking puzzle would not have come together...thanks bro :tup:.......296 lb(field dressed) 3 by 3, bio figured him at about 340-350 live weight :tup:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:47:16 PM by bigmacc »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »
Great story that's a monster buck. Any pictures of that bad boy?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 05:29:35 PM »
Great story that's a monster buck. Any pictures of that bad boy?

Yep Skyvalhunter, they were on the "back at camp" thread when I first started here, I took some pictures off because someone told me they were copying them, I don't know how this crap works so I had my secretary :chuckle: take a bunch of them off, ...thank you dear(my wife), love ya :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]