collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Selecting a puppy from a litter  (Read 5648 times)

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Re: Selecting a puppy from a litter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »
I let the breeder pick Maggie out of the litter for me. Ther wasn’t a choice, since I was in Iraq at the time. We never met personally until I got home & picked her up. We only talked in email 12 time zones apart, and I have to say the breeder did a good great job picking a puppy for me based on our emails only. We’re a perfect match for each other- low key & mellow around the house, but when it’s time to hunt, it’s time to get after it hard and fast.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 04:34:25 PM »
Unless you have a ton of experience, I say let the breeder decide.  This asdumes you did your homework and oicked a good breeder.  Make sure you share your desires,  hunting, family, lifestyle. I have placed dizens of dogs and used to get paid to help people buy horses.  Puppies change fast, breeders get to know what those changes mean.  Most people should not own the most dominant pup or the most submissive those can be really challenging in the home. 

Health, papers, guarantees, after purchase help are way more important to me than being allowed my pick of a litter.  Pickna good breeder you will get a good pup.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 08:03:44 PM »
If it is any consolation...nearly every member on here who has had a dog from the breeder I used could be describing my dog when talking about theirs. The only real difference in them has been colror and size. Have fun and, in my opinion, as long as the breeder is good, you will be fine (or I have been lucky????) The dog really picked us as I said above. I can't imagine life without the one who "chose us".
Good luck

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »
Don't forget to post a pic of your new pooch!!

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 07:45:03 AM »
Just pick from the best litter you can find and afford for what you're looking for. Health clearances, parents lineage etc and close your eyes and pick one or whichever one picks you.

I heard a pod cast where Chris Akin said he routinly picks the last pup in a litter just to show that it's more about picking from the right litter and how you train them.

I had 2nd pick of a litter in Iowa. I told the breeder I was gonna train him to hunt and run some hunt tests. Sight unseen he sent me a pup. Lots of success in the HT game and the boys everything I could dream of in the field.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
In a properly thought out breeding , your picking for color pattern. That's what linebreeding does cements good traits as well as bad, the trick is to weed out the bad. And strive to produce cookie cutter litter. In a well bred litter you can close your eyes and grab and come up with a good dog. It's the haywire training methods that get used that knock holes in them.

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »
This is one comment where I am going to disagree with you Wild, you said " Strive to produce cookie cutter litter".
You breed to produce better then what you already have.. It has been the "Cookie Cutter" breedings especially in the conformation circles that have destroyed many of our sporting breeds.  They breed for what ever wins in the ring not giving a darn about health and temperament.  Then when they finish their coveted Championship they
"Rehome them" because there is nothing else they can do with them.   Then as the dogs get older and have issues they blame the people they have rehomed to.  Seen it happen way to many times.
Bluemoon

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 09:49:56 AM »
I think what Wild was saying is that through careful line breeding, you can produce a litter where all the dogs are “cookie cutter” in that they will all be very good bird dogs. In other words, you can close your eyes, grab a pup, and you will end up with a great pup.  Some will be better than the others, but all will be very good. I agree that you are always trying to produce better than what you had before, but at the end of the day, a slight improvement in all the dogs is a successful breeding.

When picking a puppy, pick a good liter, close your eyes, and grab a pup.  At 7-10 weeks of age puppies are changing so fast there is no way to know what you are picking.  In the AF world, Pros go through a TON of pups to find that one special dog that has what it takes to be a NC.  And they often don’t know if the dog is really special until they are 12-16 months old.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 08:20:49 PM »
Jet has exactly what I meant Richard, im not good in type, remember that dog of mine that did all the winning? He was linebred, his daddy was really linebred by Barbara Robbins, I had a buddy with a fantastic winning Nstra setter, both dogs had the same great bird finding qualities and full choke noses, they also had alot of the same ancestors, but it was an outcross on the sires side of the dams line. Those pups were cookie cutter in their own right as either one was equal in their abilities, but better than both parents.  The litter I had with my dog, bred to another dog with ancestors the same, plus a splash of linebred Tekoa mountain sunrise and BozeAnns Mosley on her sires side produced 9 pups, of the 9  7 were all about the same, 2 were wingnuts. I still have a wingnut. It's pretty satisfying to get a call from a guy and have him say" You know,I've had setters 40 years, all from the biggest famous kennels, and I'm not just saying this, this one I got from you is doing better at 6 months old than any of the others I've ever owned did at close to 2". My dog placed in his first broke stake at 17 months old. I think he had 35 placements total in 3 years of trialing. I was striving to produce, smart,birdfinding, stylish easy to live with dogs that matured quickly and naturally retrieved ( my male wouldn't retrieve, and neither did his sire). Pretty sure I got that done with 7 of 9, can't get all the coons up the tree. I flat out gave one away this last summer, he was 5, had minimal work done, I heard nothing from the fellow, then one day he called and gushed about how thankful he was, he took the dog hunting in Alberta and the dog found and pointed alot of birds, and he retrieved 21 birds for him to hand. That was all natural ability, I bet at most that dog only had a couple hours spent with him. Hell I tried to give that dog to a few guys on here. Everybody's question is always the same" What's wrong with him?" Nothing I'm what's wrong I have a job that takes up more time than 6 dogs need.

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 10:13:07 PM »
As a breeder, I check for traits that I feel are important. At about ten days, before the eyes open, I do a scent test. We weigh the pups every two days to ensure proper weight gain and growth, and while doing so, I put two paper towels near the pup. One has quail scent, the other duck. I watch the reaction of the pup. Quail is subtle. Duck...not so much. If the pup doesn't notice, no big deal. But I have observed most pick up on the duck. A few key in on the quail. I do this again when they are about three weeks old. If they never seem to notice or care...probably a family dog. But the ones that observe acutely, they have the better noses. But, I also take in their reactions to wings and live birds later on.
I also run the pups around 5 weeks old through the woods. Over stumps, logs, weeds, through brush. And for about 150 yards. I observe those that stay right behind me and those that drop off. I notice the ones that have no fear to go through or over obstacles. Some get better. But the yound ones, those that are on it early, those are the top ones.
I know these pups and suggest them to the prospective owners. I have really never been wrong except for the energy levels that people themselves are not prepared for.
Not all breeders do what I do.

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »
Great thread and yes, puppies do show a great deal of their true and future personality at an early age and with their reactions with litter mates.

Right now I am dealing with the loss this past week of my English springer spaniel, Walter The Wonder Dog to congestive heart failure and possibly cancer. I am still in a state of mourning for Walter, but I have begun the research for another puppy. One possible breeder has some ESS puppy possibilities, but wants me to pick a puppy off Email pictures and send a deposit...Cute pups, but I don't open the wallet until I see the pups and their personalities.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw