collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washington House committee OKs bill to move wolves  (Read 14278 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Washington House committee OKs bill to move wolves
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 08:58:15 PM »
I say send the wolves. Let's get on with it.  Since we are stuck with this, let's press forward.  The sooner we have them in all the required regions, the sooner we can hope to manage them. 

That's of course assuming we get to.... I'm thinking how successfully we are allowed to manage bear and especially cougar....   :bash: :bash: :bash:

Put three breeding packs on the Olympic peninsula, then get on with the wolf hunting. :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2018, 09:00:47 PM »
I sure would hate to watch a place like hancock kapowsin get decimated by wolves after witnessing the game herds up there. Would be a shame

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »
Even if they move wolves to the Westside AND we get the breeding pairs in the “required” areas, does anyone actually think we will ever see a wolf hunt in a Washington? I don’t.

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »
Aren't the cougar quotas getting smaller?

Exactly, and not because the population is going down...
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »
If they want wolves more than they want cougars maybe they WILL increase the cougar quotas. For one, cougars and wolves compete for the same food. And two, cougars kill wolves. Better reduce the cougar population if they want wolves to have a chance of making it on the west side.  :tup:

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2018, 10:25:55 PM »
If they move them they will not go to any populated area. You're dreaming if you think this will stick it to Seattleites.
The greenies will love this as they have been crying the Peninsula needs wolves for years and that's the first place they will go. The other place is likely the Willapa hills or maybe North R.. Any place in the Cascades will be out as the wolves are already moving in so a waste of money.
To top it all off I doubt this will speed up delisting but what it will do is send more hunters to the eastside. So you'll lose a handful of wolves which will be made up for with new pups and you will gain a few thousand more orange vests.
We have already gained a few thousand hunters over the past few years from the wet side , They have already made hunting on public land crapy, so send them,i will welcome more hunters any day of the week instead of wolves :twocents:

Here is my predicted scenario.
Next time there are problem wolves in the NE instead of killing a few they get moved west. Your comment seems to imply you think it is an either or situation, wolves or more hunters. You will have more of both.
I don't want them as I can well understand you do not. This will speed up the spreading of the pain but will it actually mean any kind of chance for anyone to reduce the wolf population in a specific area. I do not think so.
For one I have doubts about ever getting to hunt wolves even after they are delisted which I foresee being a long time. But lets say we do get a hunting season. It has been proven wolf hunting alone cannot reduce or even contain the population increase of wolves. Does anyone think we will get a trapping season? I'd love that but be realistic, this is the State of Seattle.
Also I think some of the eastsiders are oblivious to how dire ungulate populations are already in many parts of W WA. One of the reasons so many go east. More wolves will just exacerbate that.
It's all downhill from here my friends, just a question of how steep the slide is.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 10:34:41 PM »
round up the trouble wolves and send them to seattle, brilliant!

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 10:44:19 PM »
Seattle is the last place they will go. All the cougar management areas around the Greater Seattle area have no quotas. That ought to tell you something about how the Department views predators around Seattle.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »
If they move them they will not go to any populated area. You're dreaming if you think this will stick it to Seattleites.
The greenies will love this as they have been crying the Peninsula needs wolves for years and that's the first place they will go. The other place is likely the Willapa hills or maybe North R.. Any place in the Cascades will be out as the wolves are already moving in so a waste of money.
To top it all off I doubt this will speed up delisting but what it will do is send more hunters to the eastside. So you'll lose a handful of wolves which will be made up for with new pups and you will gain a few thousand more orange vests.
We have already gained a few thousand hunters over the past few years from the wet side , They have already made hunting on public land crapy, so send them,i will welcome more hunters any day of the week instead of wolves :twocents:

Here is my predicted scenario.
Next time there are problem wolves in the NE instead of killing a few they get moved west. Your comment seems to imply you think it is an either or situation, wolves or more hunters. You will have more of both.
I don't want them as I can well understand you do not. This will speed up the spreading of the pain but will it actually mean any kind of chance for anyone to reduce the wolf population in a specific area. I do not think so.
For one I have doubts about ever getting to hunt wolves even after they are delisted which I foresee being a long time. But lets say we do get a hunting season. It has been proven wolf hunting alone cannot reduce or even contain the population increase of wolves. Does anyone think we will get a trapping season? I'd love that but be realistic, this is the State of Seattle.
Also I think some of the eastsiders are oblivious to how dire ungulate populations are already in many parts of W WA. One of the reasons so many go east. More wolves will just exacerbate that.
It's all downhill from here my friends, just a question of how steep the slide is.
No not a either or situation ,already have plenty of both hunters and wolves alike,i don't think a few more could hurt anything now.Its just time to spread the love around,my prediction is that if we get enough wolves on the wet side tearing into cattle livestock,pets,and wildlife ,just maybe we will see a better management plan.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:09:12 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline chukarchaser

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 11:04:53 PM »
Its only fair that wolves get relocated to the west side. The northeast corner is getting decimated because of wolves. It would not be a waste to facilitate reaching the absurd wolf plan requirements by relocation

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2018, 12:35:54 AM »
I think it's interesting to hear people who complained and continue to complain about wolves in their areas advocating the state spend a bunch of money on relocation so more people can be infected with these vermin. It's only fair? So if my area has a virulent flu epidemic it's only fair I come to your town and give it to everyone there? I live on the west side for work. Not everyone over here is a left leaning granola eater that thinks wolves are sacred. If anyone really thinks doing this will speed up delisting I think you are kidding yourself. Everyone I know thought it was a bad idea to put this species of wolf in Yellowstone in the 90s. Now hunters are saying relocate them to more area?. They are beginning to move across the mountains anyway. I see a time when all elk hunting in this state will be draw only. Why accelerate that process? Based on this logic maybe we should take criminals who have preyed on people over here and drop them off in eastern Wa.so they can be someone else's problem.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2018, 04:09:09 AM »
If they want wolves more than they want cougars maybe they WILL increase the cougar quotas. For one, cougars and wolves compete for the same food. And two, cougars kill wolves. Better reduce the cougar population if they want wolves to have a chance of making it on the west side.  :tup:
They want the cougars and wolves to replace us.  It's similar to the way they manage fisheries.

This whole thread is about hunters turning on each other.  Think archery/muzzy/modern season dates and debates, putting apples out, using dogs in the field, crossbows.  Hunter399 posts are just another example of that.  In a lot of ways, we are a lousy, rag tag group and our own worst enemies. 

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2018, 05:09:10 AM »
I think it's interesting to hear people who complained and continue to complain about wolves in their areas advocating the state spend a bunch of money on relocation so more people can be infected with these vermin. It's only fair? So if my area has a virulent flu epidemic it's only fair I come to your town and give it to everyone there? I live on the west side for work. Not everyone over here is a left leaning granola eater that thinks wolves are sacred. If anyone really thinks doing this will speed up delisting I think you are kidding yourself. Everyone I know thought it was a bad idea to put this species of wolf in Yellowstone in the 90s. Now hunters are saying relocate them to more area?. They are beginning to move across the mountains anyway. I see a time when all elk hunting in this state will be draw only. Why accelerate that process? Based on this logic maybe we should take criminals who have preyed on people over here and drop them off in eastern Wa.so they can be someone else's problem.

:yeah:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2018, 05:12:05 AM »
Your mixing apples and oranges and over exaggerating.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2018, 08:42:17 AM »
Your mixing apples and oranges and over exaggerating.
Of course I was overexaggerating. I just was hoping someone would see how ridiculous it ALL sounds. Thank you for reading it. My point was making your problem someone elses problem too might make you feel better, but it doesn't solve the problem. Do people in NE Wa., believe this is going to solve the issue? I have a difficult time believing they would be that naive. If the point is just to make everyone else eat a turd sandwich because you have to eat one, well that's not very nice.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:07:52 AM by Eric M »

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal