collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who has been to Belize  (Read 7583 times)

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Who has been to Belize
« on: February 08, 2018, 10:09:58 AM »
The wife an I are thinking of saving up for a trip to Belize for our anniversary. It will be 30 years in 2 more years and we want to do an epic trip. About how much did you spend for a week stay? What activities to do? I would also like to stay in the huts in the water. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Who has been to Belize
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »
I have not,  but my father, who has traveled extensively for 50+ years, said Belize is his all-time favorite.  Snorkeling and beaches being the reason, I don't think he did anything inland.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 10:33:05 AM »
Belize is AWESOME!! Great people, snorkeling, diving, fly fishing, Blue Water fishing, sailboat booze cruises in the evenings, nighttime entertainment and food and beverages are cheap and right down on the beaches. You can never go wrong in Belize. With all this said you do not want to stay in Belize City. Upon landing in Belize City jump on a plane and fly out to Ambergris Caye - San Pedro with Tropic Air.

I'm taking off for Christmas Island tomorrow, but if you PM me, when I get back in two weeks I can send you some more info and contacts of the better guides there.

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:46 AM »
Oh ya, I also know a great guide that will take you for a killer boat ride from San Pedro up the Belize River, then into the New River to the Mayan Ruins. Great day and very interesting!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
I've seen the 30' concrete wall topped with Constantine  and machine gun turrets the Mexicans out up on the pensula

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
Tag.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 11:12:32 AM »
I went with the wife a few years ago.  Belize is a major destination for scuba divers and there are resorts that cater to tourists. We didn't go that route and I'm sure our experience was much different than most.  Belize City can be a dangerous place and we were told not to cross over the bridge for safety reasons. 

After landing at the airport we rented a car in town.  We stayed at a hotel in Burrell Boom on the way in and out of Belize. It was owned by an older couple from Texas and they were very helpful and offered the closest thing to American food we saw on the trip.  Burrell Boom is close to Belize City and a handy jump off point.

We traveled around the country primarily visiting Mayan ruins which included Xunantunich.  It is close to the border with Guatamalla.  If you have the time, it's worth while.  Be warned that there are some theft issues with possessions left in the vehicles.  The guide books recommend hiring a local guide at Xunantunich.  After doing so, I would recommend against it.  I believe the guide was working in conjunction with someone at the concession stand to point out burglary targets.

There is a ruin across the border from Xunantunich that I really wanted to see.  We ended up passing on it because  there were known highwaymen setting up road blocks on the mountain roads inside Guatamalla.  At the time, the warnings stated that your money and virtue wasn't worth dying for.

Inland Belize is very third world and a high percentage of the population has some weird eye issues.  I don't know if it's genetics or an ailment but it was prevalent. 

Further South we stayed at the beach for a few days.  I believe it was in Punta Gorda (I'd have to check).  There was a couple from Alaska that spend the winters down there and rent out beach cabanas. 

Overall it was a good trip.  There are some rough roads down there.  If I was to do it again, I'd rent a diesel SUV rather than a car.  They get incredible mileage without the EPA smog junk and would be better suited to the roads that we spent time on.

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 11:37:08 AM »
We stayed at Caye Caulker. Some of the best snorkeling.  Did a fishing and snorkeling with stressless tours.  Make sure you get a room on the water so there is a breeze. Also spent a couple nights in southern Mexico at Bacalar Lagoon. It's a must go    Rode the bus from there then caught the boat to Caye Caulker.   Never went to the mainland of Belize
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 12:16:17 PM »
What’s the best time of year to go? For good weather?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 12:25:08 PM »
Was there last March. Stayed 3 days outside of Belize city to do the Mayan ruins, Cave Tubing, and the zoo. Then flew out to San Pedro and Ambergris Caye. We did the snorkeling thing there with a guide at the reef and Shark Alley. Stayed at a motel outside of San Pedro on the beach. We kayaked out to the reef there and snorkeled as in that part of the reef you weren't required to have a guide. Did other stuff like rode bikes to San Pedro, and took golf carts into San Pedro. Golf carts is how most people get around there if you don't take the sea Taxi. They drive plenty fast on narrow roads that are in need of repair. San Pedro reminds me of a lot of the Mexican border towns in that it is run down and in need of repair. We had a good time there, my wife is from Hawaii so it doesn't stack up IMO.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline brocka

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
I have been twice. 2007 and last year. Both times I stayed on Ambergris Caye. This last year I fished just about everyday. It is awesome there. I want to go back. We flew direct with Southwest. It was very reasonable.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
I made it about 75 miles south of Belize.  :)  Went through San Pedro Sula, Honduras on my way to the Tela beaches....and also went to the Copan ruins.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 01:03:54 PM »
Went on a cruise, parents have been there on a resort. Through the cruise, was not impressed with what we saw, town was a little sketchy for Americans. Parents loved it at a resort, they really didn't venture out much to the city because the resort was all inclusive. The waster is blue and warm, and some cool scenery once you get outside the city. We did a jungle excursion ,zip lined through the rain forest.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 01:18:31 PM »
Probably a statement of the obvious, but research hurricane season for the area.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
I went down to Belize in July.  It was the rainy season, but was a blast.  Stayed down in Hopkins.  Did a lot of fishing, diving and snorkeling.  If I went back I would bring some cheap 30-50lb spools of line with me and some good sized 2 hooks.  Do a little bartering with the locals.  Watched the guys going out with a fly trying to catch fish.  I went with heavier line, and shrimp and caught 12 different types of fish.  Go with heavier line as everything has sharp teeth.

We also did a plantation tour, jungle tubing, fishing, snorkeling trip out to the reef.  Crystal clear water at the reefs.  It was a blast.

Don't buy souvenirs in the little towns.  Wait until you get back to the airport and buy them there.  They will give you a song and a dance and tell you how it's hand made.  Then you see the same stuff for half price.  Hand made in China.  Exchange rate was $.50 to the $1.00 in our favor.  Small little towns have great food, but takes a while to get.  If you have chickens running around while your eating, you know your food is minutes fresh.  :chuckle:
Big city or large resort may offer a completely different experience.  Where we stayed it was all read dirt roads.  Fun experience.  English speaking country, so it makes it a lot easier.  6 different languages spoken in Belize as well.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]