collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ribeye from a rib roast, preference question  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Ribeye from a rib roast, preference question
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 10:18:13 AM »
I don't trim a thing, sous vide, torch and I can crank one out better than any restaurant I have ever eaten at.
have you found that sous vide first, torch second to be best order?

Yep, 137 for 6 hours then hit it with the weed burner and serve.  We did a true Prime from Costco for Christmas and it was outrageous.  Choice is very, very good, but the prime was crazy.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 11:32:21 AM »
I don't trim a thing, sous vide, torch and I can crank one out better than any restaurant I have ever eaten at.

Yep, 137 for 6 hours then hit it with the weed burner and serve.  We did a true Prime from Costco for Christmas and it was outrageous.  Choice is very, very good, but the prime was crazy.
Weed burner?   Heard about Sous Vide and been very tempted by it, but not sure about weed burner?

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »

:yeah:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »

I'm a medium rare man - 130 for 8-12 hours, encrusted with herbs and seasonings and garlic. Finished it off in the oven at 475 for 20 minutes and a 45 minute rest. Best Thanksgiving ever. Turkey sucks.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 03:16:27 PM »
Like to see that torch work on youtube.  So like 135 for 2 hours ??? Never done it yet.

135 for 2-3 hours should be good for a decent sized steak, 1 inch thick or a little more.  A rib roast will take significantly longer.  I think I did a 3 rib roast on Christmas for about 8 hours at 135 or so.  I used a large zip lock bag instead of vacuum sealing it.  That way I could periodically open the bag and take the temp with a digital thermometer to insure the interior of the roast got up to temp. 

I did a tri-tip roast, which took less time as it wasn't as thick, and threw that on the gas grill for a few minutes on each side to give it a crust (after sous vide cooking).  I've yet to do a steak, but when I do I will throw it under the broiler or on the gas grill for a few minutes.  No need to actually "torch" it if you don't have a torch! 

If anyone hasn't tried a tri tip, I really think it's a tastier cut of meat than the rib roast I did, and it's cheaper.  Good stuff!

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 03:54:20 PM »
For those of you that cut ribeye steaks from rib roast (Boneless) do you keep the tail on or remove it? 

I have always kept the tail on and ended up with 1.5" thick steaks weighing between 30-40oz.

This time I cut the tail off and ended up with 1.5" thick 20oz. steaks that look much better and will fit in the cast iron skillet much better when I'm not grilling them.

And with cutting the tail off, I was able to get 2lbs of ribeye meat to grind and make crazy good burgers out of.

What is your preference?

The tail weighs 10 - 20 oz?  Or did I miss something?  The tail makes great burger.  I like it either way.

The ones I left the tails on are 2" thick.  Pretty frickin big
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:48:48 PM by DoubleJ »

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 04:14:15 PM »

I'm a medium rare man - 130 for 8-12 hours, encrusted with herbs and seasonings and garlic. Finished it off in the oven at 475 for 20 minutes and a 45 minute rest. Best Thanksgiving ever. Turkey sucks.

Me too, perfect medium rare.  The torch probably finishes it much less than the oven, I’m on it less than a minute for a great sear.  Pic actually looks more cooked than it was, definitely on the rare side of medium rare throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 04:21:11 PM »
Like to see that torch work on youtube.  So like 135 for 2 hours ??? Never done it yet.

135 for 2-3 hours should be good for a decent sized steak, 1 inch thick or a little more.  A rib roast will take significantly longer.  I think I did a 3 rib roast on Christmas for about 8 hours at 135 or so.  I used a large zip lock bag instead of vacuum sealing it.  That way I could periodically open the bag and take the temp with a digital thermometer to insure the interior of the roast got up to temp. 

I did a tri-tip roast, which took less time as it wasn't as thick, and threw that on the gas grill for a few minutes on each side to give it a crust (after sous vide cooking).  I've yet to do a steak, but when I do I will throw it under the broiler or on the gas grill for a few minutes.  No need to actually "torch" it if you don't have a torch! 

If anyone hasn't tried a tri tip, I really think it's a tastier cut of meat than the rib roast I did, and it's cheaper.  Good stuff!

Tri tip is my go to cut of bovine.  Rib eye is nice but my usual is tri tip at home.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »
I've never heard of " BUTTER STEAKS " until I moved to Az. OMG are they good, no, GREAT.  They are a cousin to the RIB EYE'S.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »
I've never heard of " BUTTER STEAKS " until I moved to Az. OMG are they good, no, GREAT.  They are a cousin to the RIB EYE'S.

Do tell.  :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 05:53:59 PM »

Possibly a chuck eye?  I LOVE those too.  I buy chuck rolls at cash and carry and always cut the chuck eye's off and package those separately.  Basically a ribeye but just a smidge too far forward to be considered a "ribeye"

Online The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
 :yeah: chuck eye is my favorite. The local butcher saves them for us

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »

Do tell.  :dunno:

I can't really explain what they are. All I can say is they are just as good as a Ribeye and cheaper. I'd say you'd to google them. They only come boneless, at least down here. They're not a chuck roast.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 08:04:34 PM »
Campmeat:
Are you sure it isn’t a butler steak?  Otherwise known as a Flat Iron?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw