collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Remington bankruptcy today  (Read 7305 times)

Offline bullfisher

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Remington bankruptcy today
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 12:52:21 PM »
Nobody wants to spend $700 for a rifle that needs rebuilt just to shoot straight. And instead of addressing their issues, they just kept pumping garbage into the market for another decade.. They baisically invented the need for the blueprinting industry..   :dunno:

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
Good riddance if they went away.  My dad always swore by their rifles and they were nothing but trash.  He always, every year it seemed had problems with them.  I do not own a single Remington firearm.  Pure garbage in my opinion.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »
They’re bankrupt mostly because when Cerberus bought them about 10 years ago, they sucked all of the cash out of the company and then saddled it with billions of dollars of debt.
:yeah:

I would say the companies failures have more to do with take-overs, debt saddleing, greenmail protection, movement of manufacturing locations, products and a drop in sales following what I would call panic buying during the Obama administration.
KoR I think those are the big reasons. Older businesses are not as flexible to the changes in the market.

What do you think was thier most innovative product that has hit the market?
None jump out at me. And I can think of several other of thier competitors that did especially when you take into account that the awesome gun sales couldn't last forever...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
None jump out at me. And I can think of several other of thier competitors that did especially when you take into account that the awesome gun sales couldn't last forever...

wasn't their R51 supposed to the cats meow? what a godawful ugly unit that was!!!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »
A horrible flop.
My favorite innovation when sales were awesome for gun manufactures... The 17 HSM. They were selling all the guns and ammo the could... so Winchester bought a cement nail gun blank plant &started making cartridges!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »
KoR I think those are the big reasons. Older businesses are not as flexible to the changes in the market.

I actually can't speak about Remmington.  Bushmasters are a cool frame, with plenty of similar competition.   Classic Marlins are what I like, so people like me aren't really looking for innovation, what we want is quality and availability.  Marlin has not been able to do either, and their product line is in a major contraction.  They've dumped the .444 and the .450 in the last 3/4 of a decade, and only now have made 1894 pistol caliber guns easily available.

It will be interesting in what the lever gun builders like Wild West do if Marlins again become hard to get, I think that Marlin 1895 and 1894's were there platform of choice.  Win lever guns seem really crappy, that lever grip safety just comes off as poor workmanship at first blush.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »
I've got a garbage Rem 700 bought new in 2016.  Shoots 1/2 minute and better with a JB Weld bed job. 

I agree it would be nice if they'd put a bit more into the stock and trigger but I could gripe about fit, finish, trigger etc on almost every factory offering.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
I shoot a 700 purchased about seven or eight years ago, great rifle once I dumped the trigger and stock.  Anyway, the bankruptcy had nothing to do with firearms or sales, the company was looted.  Buy a good company, drain the cash, load it up with debt and then push it over a cliff.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
I've got a garbage Rem 700 bought new in 2016.  Shoots 1/2 minute and better with a JB Weld bed job. 

I agree it would be nice if they'd put a bit more into the stock and trigger but I could gripe about fit, finish, trigger etc on almost every factory offering.
:yeah:
I am not of the camp that says they are all garbage. I bought a cheap adl from Walmart in 2016 and with handloaded it is a 1/2-3/4 moa shooter. Even in the cheap plastic stock that came with it. I did put it into a magpul stock and am currently selling it but not at all because I am not happy with the gun.

I will say that I think Remington has been left in the dust on new innovations in the industry. Their actions haven’t changed for ever. They are good but they have been stagnant while competition has been improving lots lately.  :twocents:

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 10:43:35 AM »
Its been a long time since I have heard of anyone shooting well with a factory Remington rifle that had to do some work to it, bed job trigger...  something to get it shooting sub moa. hopefully they can get it together and start putting out a quality product once again

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
I shoot a 700 purchased about seven or eight years ago, great rifle once I dumped the trigger and stock.  Anyway, the bankruptcy had nothing to do with firearms or sales, the company was looted.  Buy a good company, drain the cash, load it up with debt and then push it over a cliff.

:yeah:  Funny, the name Romney comes to mind.   :twocents:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2018, 04:51:23 PM »

I actually can't speak about Remmington.  Bushmasters are a cool frame, with plenty of similar competition.   Classic Marlins are what I like, so people like me aren't really looking for innovation, what we want is quality and availability.  Marlin has not been able to do either, and their product line is in a major contraction.  They've dumped the .444 and the .450 in the last 3/4 of a decade, and only now have made 1894 pistol caliber guns easily available.

It will be interesting in what the lever gun builders like Wild West do if Marlins again become hard to get, I think that Marlin 1895 and 1894's were there platform of choice.  Win lever guns seem really crappy, that lever grip safety just comes off as poor workmanship at first blush.

I've a JM stamped 450 Marlin in 99% condition with a Leupold scope for $1000 plus shipping for you.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »
Its been a long time since I have heard of anyone shooting well with a factory Remington rifle that had to do some work to it, bed job trigger...  something to get it shooting sub moa. hopefully they can get it together and start putting out a quality product once again
That sums up some of their issues perfectly. At least I can go buy a savage and work up a load and shoot sub moa pretty readily... I can't say the same about Remington rifles over the past few years. My buddy had a 700 in .308. It shot moa but never spectacular until he replaced the stock, trigger, and bedded it. It shot 1/4-1/2 moa after that. I hope they come back stronger and actually give their consumers a worthy firearm... that way maybe they can change my mind about them. For now though.. its savage and weatherby for me.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
Pretty much any rifle will shoot with handloads. Some need to toss a couple more coins in the dish when it's passed around if their dependent on factory fodder. :chuckle:

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »
That sums up some of their issues perfectly. At least I can go buy a savage and work up a load and shoot sub moa pretty readily... I can't say the same about Remington rifles over the past few years. My buddy had a 700 in .308. It shot moa but never spectacular until he replaced the stock, trigger, and bedded it. It shot 1/4-1/2 moa after that. I hope they come back stronger and actually give their consumers a worthy firearm... that way maybe they can change my mind about them. For now though.. its savage and weatherby for me.
Have to agree. No longer, and for several years, has Remington bee the name for out-of-the-box accuracy. Savage owns that, followed by Tikka imho.
Kinda like Vortex to Leupold😉
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]