collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Could Be Good...  (Read 2751 times)

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Could Be Good...
« on: February 14, 2018, 06:14:02 AM »
Commission approves final land purchase
for 20,000-acre wildlife area near Coulee Dam

OLYMPIA – The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission has approved the final phase of a 20,000-acre land acquisition to conserve critical wildlife habitat and support public recreation in Douglas County seven miles downstream from Grand Coulee Dam.

The commission, a citizen panel appointed by the governor to set policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), approved the land purchase during a public meeting Feb. 8-10 in Olympia.

Also at that meeting, the commission heard staff briefings and public testimony on other issues ranging from salmon fisheries to mineral prospecting.

Cynthia Wilkerson, WDFW lands division manager, said the purchase of the 7,217-acre Grand Coulee Ranch LLC property completes the third and final phase of the larger acquisition by the department to protect sharp-tailed grouse and secure quality recreation access through the Mid-Columbia/Grand Coulee project.

Comprised mostly of native shrubsteppe, the property provides critical habitat for the once-common inland bird now listed by the state as a threatened species.

"This property has special importance, because it connects sharp-tailed grouse populations in Douglas County with those in Okanogan and Lincoln counties," Wilkerson said. "Securing this habitat could make a real difference in the effort to recover this species."

Wilkerson noted that WDFW's acquisition of the property will also provide public access to hunting and fishing. Anglers will gain access to four more miles of river frontage on the Columbia River. Plans also call for opening thousands of acres to hunting for mule deer, upland birds and waterfowl.

Julie Sandberg, real estate services manager, said WDFW will pay the appraised value of $3.1 million for the Grand Coulee parcel, financed through grants from the state Recreation and Conservation Office and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Once the purchase is finalized, WDFW plans to combine the entire 20,000-acre acquisition to form the Big Bend Wildlife Area – the 33rd wildlife area owned and managed by the department in the state.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
Re: Could Be Good...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:53:41 AM »
 20,000 acres of feel free to hunt.  :tup:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »

I really hope they require some education on these types of initatives.  If they are a success it could encourage the purchase of more land for recreation.  If Budda and Buddy, kill everything that flushes and the population of Sharptail decreases we could lose more land to closures. 

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:48:16 AM »

I really hope they require some education on these types of initatives.  If they are a success it could encourage the purchase of more land for recreation.  If Budda and Buddy, kill everything that flushes and the population of Sharptail decreases we could lose more land to closures. 

Perhaps you can enlighten us on public hunting area closures due to "Budda and Buddy" shooting sharptails or other at risk game birds?

The nearby Swanson Lakes Wildlife Area, a Columbia sharptailed grouse and sage grouse recovery area has not experienced any public hunting closures due to the bad actions of poachers and ignorant  shooters. To me, any WDFW land purchase that increases public hunting access is a good thing and not something that needs a lot of second guessing.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 08:39:31 AM »
anyone have an overview map of this area in the aquisition

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »

Yeah you’re right this sucks. I’m staying home.
Lead em if they're running.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr