collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Let's see your custom handguns!  (Read 8340 times)

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
Let's see your custom handguns!
« on: February 17, 2018, 08:56:50 PM »
All types are welcome! Semi-Custom, custom, whatever the flavor. Whatever combo works for you.

Latlely I have had the urge to pick up a cool guy revolver, something big bore, custom , exotic!

I was digging through my safes this evening and dug out what I consider my favorite 1911. Some quick history when it comes to this particular 1911. This Springfield "Champion" I received as a gift from one of my brothers. So it's safe in the safe!👍 I would never trade or sell any firearm that has anything to do with family. Everything else is fair game!

Decided to send it to the best to have it worked over, for a quality top notch carry pistol. Clark Custom came to mind. While they do superb work. It took several trips back to tune it right. In the end the owner himself tuned it and it has run superbly ever since.

This particular handgun I had them do their " Meltdown " on. This required a guy with a bunch of expirience to take a belt sander to my slide and round off every edge. He did it to perfection! They finished it to my requested color combo in heat cure Cerakote. It shoots spooky accurate and functions flawlessly.

A run down of the work Clark Custom did.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:06:34 PM by Biggerhammer »

Online jjhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
Re: Let's see your custom handguns!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »
Beauty!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »
Wow....

Absolutely beautiful pistol. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 09:26:42 PM »
Not as pretty as yours but, here's mine

I have always put my off-hand index finger on the trigger guard.  I just shoot better that way.  This P239 I got in trade had a rounded trigger guard that didn't let me do that.  Some steel putty and a sander later, now I feel very comfortable shooting it.

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »
Here is my 44 mag. Smith & Wesson 629-1.
It started life as a 6.5" gun.
Work was cut the barrel to 3.375"
Refit the front sight
Convert to fixed sights
Custom hammer that still allows single action without the big spur
Action/trigger job to smooth up double action and lighten single action.
Convert from square butt to round butt frame
Frame bead blasted cylinder polished

Great shooting and back woods gun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 09:53:39 PM »
Love the 629's.

I have a before picture of the "Chapion" along with one of my performance center 629's.

Cool guy 629's rock!!!!

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »
Waiting for Yorke.. the Guru of all things handgun's here!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 10:44:55 PM »
Hey Double J, I have the exact same custom rusty screw on my P239.   :chuckle:

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »

:tup: :tup: :tup:

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 09:03:27 AM »
Not really a custom, just a couple of after market things

Glock G40
Burris Red Dot
7" KKM barrel

I love this thing. Its my new Bear hunting weapon
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »
Not really a custom, just a couple of after market things

Glock G40
Burris Red Dot
7" KKM barrel

I love this thing. Its my new Bear hunting weapon
A real glockzilla  :tup:

Which exact red dot is it?
A friend of mine just got a sight pusher and said I could borrow it, was thinking about a red dot for my Glock 20  8)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 11:00:25 AM »
I've really wanted a 500 Linebaugh for years but I just can't convince myself to do it. After tearing up my right hand an wrist from work and shooting, I just can't shoot big bore revolvers like I used to. Right now a 480 Ruger is about as big as I can go and even that gets pretty painful after about 3 cylinders. I do find myself constantly looking at Gary Reeder's site thinking that one of his Black Mamba conversions on a GP100 would be awfully nice.

Since I can't really roll with the big bore revolvers any more I had to resort to the bigger bolt action pistols instead.

The 300 RUM. Weighed 6.8# scoped and ready to hunt. 165-168gr bullets were moving about 2950fps from the 17" factory 300 RUM barrel that I had cut down. I shot the barrel out on this gun at around 1100 rounds then sold the gun to a member here as a starting point to build a new gun.

The 260 Rem that I built to compete in PRS a couple years back. It's a McGowen 19" barrel on a left hand action in a McRee chassis. The idea was to have a mag fed gun to compete against the rifles. I never actually shot a match with it and ended up parting it out after about 300 rounds but it shot really well with the 130gr bullets at around 2725 from the 19" barrel, essentially duplicating 6.5x47 Lapua performance.

284 Winchester with an 18" McGowen barrel. This has been my go to target gun for a couple of years now; if I'm shooting under about 1200 yards this is the gun I'll take. When the conditions are good it will shoot the 168 Berger VLD at 2760fps to 1/2 MOA out to 1000 yards. It shot better when I ran a different powder and a lower velocity but I just needed more speed to stretch out beyond 1000 yards. Beyond that it gets difficult to hold good groups without cranking up the magnification on the scope, which makes the gun more difficult to shoot. But even at 12x it's not difficult to hit 1 MOA targets to 1000 yards prone off of a bipod. I've managed to make some decent hits out to 1380 yards with this gun but the conditions need to be very favorable. I'm starting to worry because this barrel has almost 1000 rounds on it and I can already see the throat starting to wear out on me.

6mm BR with an 18" Nitrided Benchmark barrel. This one is built on an undesignated Savage PTA that was sent off to Sharp Shooter Supply to get a full once over. The stock is a Neal Cooper laminate made by a friend of mine up in Alaska. I built this one to compete in local short range BR matches against the rifles. With a 68gr Berger FB bullet it will shoot 5 shot groups in the sub .25 MOA range out to 200 yards. When I stopped shooting BR and got into more long range shooting I switched to the 105gr bullets which work much better beyond 400 yards. Groups  are typically in the .3 MOA range with the 105gr Nosler RDF at 2650fps.

Benchmark Barrels built 338/375 Ruger with an 18" barrel. This was the first of my custom specialty pistols and I built it off of a factory 300 WSM Savage Striker that I got from a guy on here. It's an 18" 1-9.3" twist 3 groove barrel with a Sendero contour and a 3 port Muscle Brake. I originally built this as a hunting pistol but it shoots so well that I spend more time target shooting with it. I've shot a lot of different bullet and load combinations out of this gun but nothing has shot as well as a 250gr Sierra MK at 2655 fps. That load will shoot .3 MOA all day long. When hunting with it I've switched over to shooting the 260gr Hammer Hunter at 2730fps. This gun is capable of doing anything a 338 Win Mag will do at any range. Recoil is very manageable for an experienced shooter, but it does take practice to shoot it well. I just crossed the 1200 round mark on this barrel but I expect to keep going strong for a couple more years. I can still hit an MOA target out to about 1100 yards with it off prone off of a bipod. It's not set up for LR shooting can't dial much beyond that so it's all hold over beyond 1000 yards. I would be confident in the 260gr Hammer Hunter load's ability to cleanly harvest an elk out to 800 yards. Not bad for a gun that weighs 7.8# and fits in a backpack. :tup:

And finnaly, the 338 SnipeTac pistol. It's big, heavy, loud, and incredibly specialized, but I love it! This was sort of my final masterpiece for specialty pistols and I don't think I can top it. It was a "spared no expense" build and I used what I felt are the best components available for something like this. Everything on it was chosen for a combination of function and aesthetics and I think it turned out great. The bubinga used for the stock is a beautiful wood but it's also very dense which makes it perfect for this application. The BAT action was chosen so that I could have an action strong enough for the CT case but still short enough to work well in a pistol stock. The Terminator T-5 brake is the most effective muzzle brake I've ever used, even if it is loud enough to knock birds out of the sky. :chuckle: Alex Wheeler who built it for me is a highly regarded BR gunsmith and an accomplished competition shooter. He's also one of the only smiths who didn't laugh at me when I told them my idea. :chuckle: With a 300gr bullet on top of 140gr of H 50BMG, I get 2875fps from the 18" barrel. Accuracy is in the .3 MOA range, which is exceptional for case this size in a platform like this. The goal is to take this gun to the E2K shoot in Montana this summer and compete at 2000 yards against the rifles. The down side is that with a barrel life of only 600-700 rounds, the barrel may not make it through the year. :o

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 11:04:01 AM »

I've replaced it twice.  Body sweat just rusts it out.  I can't seem to stop it :chuckle:

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
I've really wanted a 500 Linebaugh for years but I just can't convince myself to do it. After tearing up my right hand an wrist from work and shooting, I just can't shoot big bore revolvers like I used to. Right now a 480 Ruger is about as big as I can go and even that gets pretty painful after about 3 cylinders. I do find myself constantly looking at Gary Reeder's site thinking that one of his Black Mamba conversions on a GP100 would be awfully nice.

Since I can't really roll with the big bore revolvers any more I had to resort to the bigger bolt action pistols instead.

The 300 RUM. Weighed 6.8# scoped and ready to hunt. 165-168gr bullets were moving about 2950fps from the 17" factory 300 RUM barrel that I had cut down. I shot the barrel out on this gun at around 1100 rounds then sold the gun to a member here as a starting point to build a new gun.

The 260 Rem that I built to compete in PRS a couple years back. It's a McGowen 19" barrel on a left hand action in a McRee chassis. The idea was to have a mag fed gun to compete against the rifles. I never actually shot a match with it and ended up parting it out after about 300 rounds but it shot really well with the 130gr bullets at around 2725 from the 19" barrel, essentially duplicating 6.5x47 Lapua performance.

284 Winchester with an 18" McGowen barrel. This has been my go to target gun for a couple of years now; if I'm shooting under about 1200 yards this is the gun I'll take. When the conditions are good it will shoot the 168 Berger VLD at 2760fps to 1/2 MOA out to 1000 yards. It shot better when I ran a different powder and a lower velocity but I just needed more speed to stretch out beyond 1000 yards. Beyond that it gets difficult to hold good groups without cranking up the magnification on the scope, which makes the gun more difficult to shoot. But even at 12x it's not difficult to hit 1 MOA targets to 1000 yards prone off of a bipod. I've managed to make some decent hits out to 1380 yards with this gun but the conditions need to be very favorable. I'm starting to worry because this barrel has almost 1000 rounds on it and I can already see the throat starting to wear out on me.

6mm BR with an 18" Nitrided Benchmark barrel. This one is built on an undesignated Savage PTA that was sent off to Sharp Shooter Supply to get a full once over. The stock is a Neal Cooper laminate made by a friend of mine up in Alaska. I built this one to compete in local short range BR matches against the rifles. With a 68gr Berger FB bullet it will shoot 5 shot groups in the sub .25 MOA range out to 200 yards. When I stopped shooting BR and got into more long range shooting I switched to the 105gr bullets which work much better beyond 400 yards. Groups  are typically in the .3 MOA range with the 105gr Nosler RDF at 2650fps.

Benchmark Barrels built 338/375 Ruger with an 18" barrel. This was the first of my custom specialty pistols and I built it off of a factory 300 WSM Savage Striker that I got from a guy on here. It's an 18" 1-9.3" twist 3 groove barrel with a Sendero contour and a 3 port Muscle Brake. I originally built this as a hunting pistol but it shoots so well that I spend more time target shooting with it. I've shot a lot of different bullet and load combinations out of this gun but nothing has shot as well as a 250gr Sierra MK at 2655 fps. That load will shoot .3 MOA all day long. When hunting with it I've switched over to shooting the 260gr Hammer Hunter at 2730fps. This gun is capable of doing anything a 338 Win Mag will do at any range. Recoil is very manageable for an experienced shooter, but it does take practice to shoot it well. I just crossed the 1200 round mark on this barrel but I expect to keep going strong for a couple more years. I can still hit an MOA target out to about 1100 yards with it off prone off of a bipod. It's not set up for LR shooting can't dial much beyond that so it's all hold over beyond 1000 yards. I would be confident in the 260gr Hammer Hunter load's ability to cleanly harvest an elk out to 800 yards. Not bad for a gun that weighs 7.8# and fits in a backpack. :tup:

And finnaly, the 338 SnipeTac pistol. It's big, heavy, loud, and incredibly specialized, but I love it! This was sort of my final masterpiece for specialty pistols and I don't think I can top it. It was a "spared no expense" build and I used what I felt are the best components available for something like this. Everything on it was chosen for a combination of function and aesthetics and I think it turned out great. The bubinga used for the stock is a beautiful wood but it's also very dense which makes it perfect for this application. The BAT action was chosen so that I could have an action strong enough for the CT case but still short enough to work well in a pistol stock. The Terminator T-5 brake is the most effective muzzle brake I've ever used, even if it is loud enough to knock birds out of the sky. :chuckle: Alex Wheeler who built it for me is a highly regarded BR gunsmith and an accomplished competition shooter. He's also one of the only smiths who didn't laugh at me when I told them my idea. :chuckle: With a 300gr bullet on top of 140gr of H 50BMG, I get 2875fps from the 18" barrel. Accuracy is in the .3 MOA range, which is exceptional for case this size in a platform like this. The goal is to take this gun to the E2K shoot in Montana this summer and compete at 2000 yards against the rifles. The down side is that with a barrel life of only 600-700 rounds, the barrel may not make it through the year. :o

:kneel:

The man that taught me how to do barrel swaps :tup:

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
@Yorke. A Silver Gary Reeder, Silverhawk revolver in 510 GNR would be a nice piece!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]