collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I don’t know why I am surprised  (Read 7632 times)

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Re: I don’t know why I am surprised
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2018, 09:14:06 AM »
BINGO!!!

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2018, 09:38:19 AM »
It was a 280 set for otter.  It was set at the edge of the river and depending on water level it could have been wet or dry.
I spend time running dogs while bird hunting in North Dakota every year.  I am well aware of the legality of power snares and dry land conis while I'm there. 
As traveling sportsmen, it is our responsibility to be aware of the local laws. 

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2018, 09:42:19 AM »
Maybe you guys are right. I definitely can't be sure that the rule changes I'm arguing for would help us keep trapping longer.

But JakeLand, your approach definitely seems like the wrong direction. Yes, trappers were on the land first. Today though we need to constantly justify our presence on the landscape to the general public. If they see trapping as dangerous we are absolutely going to be voted out. So yes, setting a trap in that location was legal, but it created another few hundred people that are against all types of trapping and will vote against us.

Humptulips, what you were saying was more convincing. Maybe restricting the more dangerous traps won't do enough and we should just enjoy using them until we lose them. As someone who understands traps, I definitely would prefer to be caught in a snare or foothold. I can't necessarily assume that the rest of the public knows enough to agree that they're less dangerous.

This is important to me though. If and when Oregon transitions to rules like you have in Washington, I'm out of the game. I just don't see myself lugging huge box traps around the swamps. I'd like to do whatever possible to keep traditional traps legal.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
I hear what you are saying. I just don't think banning certain traps is the answer. Maybe outlawing situational sets like baited large conibears. I believe this was the focus of the law change in OR a few years ago and that was put in place with the cooperation of hound hunting organizations in the State and the OSTA.
I know in MN there is an ongoing bru haha over baited conis for coon which IMO is asking for trouble. The way to do it though is for the groups to get together and try an solve their concerns.
In this case if it was a 280 blind set any retrievers head would go right over it. Baited it would be a problem but the main trouble is just too public a location. Again I don't know how you legislate common sense.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
So not to pick a fight because I'm not
But if you've been trapping a spot for X amount of time and then fishermen start using your set location spot do you quit trapping there ?

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
So not to pick a fight because I'm not
But if you've been trapping a spot for X amount of time and then fishermen start using your set location spot do you quit trapping there ?
Maybe you have to change the way you set a place if it gets too public but in the end yes it is trappers who will get elbowed out.
Change your question a little to you've been trapping a spot for years and a school baseball field gets built on the spot (actually happened) and you will see what I mean.
You have to make the decision though.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Skunk Trapper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Stinky
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 02:10:08 AM »
 :yeah:

Kids baseball field, no choice but to make the decision to move on.

But those granola lovin fly fishers from Portland with the "Free Tibet" sticker on the back of the Volvo wagon who are gonna elbow out trappers....I don't wanna be moving on for them. Hell, add them to the list of furbearers  :yike:

I only trap the little spotted stinkers but this kinda stuff still gets my blood boiling...

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 06:36:52 AM »
 Baseball field, park YEP gotta change a turd that put his foot in a trap and cries on social media and I'm thinking blew things way outta what it was NOPE I wouldn't apologize one bit . I'm going guess this is the same guy that cries foul until something directly effects him but otherwise wouldn't care

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2018, 07:53:19 AM »
Reminds me of the dog that got caught in the conibear out here in Cherry Valley a few years back.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
Reminds me of the dog that got caught in the conibear out here in Cherry Valley a few years back.
ya but if I remember right that was a completely illegal set

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 06:41:36 PM »
Yes, I think if more and more people start showing up you eventually have to quit trapping.
I'm going through the same thing at a spot I like to bird hunt. The last couple years, the state of Oregon put up some interpretive signs and cut a trail through. Now my chukar spot has folks dressed up all in bright nylon who glare at me for carrying a shotgun. What do you do though? I just try to be nice to them and hope I have a few more years.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 10:39:54 PM »
ya but if I remember right that was a completely illegal set

Agreed. It was indeed. Who knows how long that trap was there. Could have been legal when it was set there.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Skunk Trapper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Stinky
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 11:07:04 PM »
Yes, I think if more and more people start showing up you eventually have to quit trapping.
I'm going through the same thing at a spot I like to bird hunt. The last couple years, the state of Oregon put up some interpretive signs and cut a trail through. Now my chukar spot has folks dressed up all in bright nylon who glare at me for carrying a shotgun. What do you do though? I just try to be nice to them and hope I have a few more years.

Quit trapping...? Come on now   :pee: :lol4: :mor: :kneel:

What do you do?
Go and scout new chukar spots instead of talking on the internet about how you want to get rid of 330 conibears.

I like conibears  :hello:

If they get rid of 330s, next it'll be 280s, then my o'l 110s that I nail dem stinkers with!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]