collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Python Cables (lesson learned)  (Read 7907 times)

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Python Cables (lesson learned)
« on: February 19, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
Thought I’d share this story in case someone else can learn from it.

I had this camera out in a spot of hung a camera off and on for the last 5 years, and I’ve never had a picture of a person. Went to check this camera last weekend after letting it soak for two months. When I got there I found my camera damaged, but still hanging on the tree I had put it on, but aimed a different direction. I’ve always been one to just use python cables as a way to keep the opportunistic thief away I suppose. Well, this time, after trying to cut thru the cable, the person broke the camera in all three spots where the python cable passed thru it (the two points on the back, and the latch door), took it home and deleted the pictures of themselves, and then brought it back to the tree and hung it back up. All the person had on them was their bow and arrow, and I’m guessing a pocket knife.

I was able to recover the pictures they deleted of themselves, ID him as a local kid, and make him buy me a new camera as hopefully a teachable lesson (his parents were beyond shocked and embarrassed).

So, from here on out, if my cameras aren’t deep in the backcountry, I guess I will have to pack in some bear boxes to keep everyone out.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Python Cables (lesson learned)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »
I have bad news for you. 

My story.  I had a camera deep in the woods, in a bear box, lag bolted to a tree, AND held to the tree with a Python cable.  Thieves broke the cable, opened the bear box, stole my camera.  They left the bear box, both the front and rear halves.

The bad news: It is really easy to defeat a Python cable.  All you need is a stout branch to slip between the cable and the tree.  Twist the branch in either direction, eventually the lock on the Python will fail.  It doesn't take any other tools.

The better solution is a bear box with a padlock on the box, lag bolted to the tree.  A hacksaw would then be required.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
I have bad news for you. 

My story.  I had a camera deep in the woods, in a bear box, lag bolted to a tree, AND held to the tree with a Python cable.  Thieves broke the cable, opened the bear box, stole my camera.  They left the bear box, both the front and rear halves.

The bad news: It is really easy to defeat a Python cable.  All you need is a stout branch to slip between the cable and the tree.  Twist the branch in either direction, eventually the lock on the Python will fail.  It doesn't take any other tools.

The better solution is a bear box with a padlock on the box, lag bolted to the tree.  A hacksaw would then be required.

No reason to tell people how to beat the Python cable lock.
I found an even easier way to open one with no tools. Just found the weakness on accident.
I'm not sure.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »
It’s no secret how to break the python locks, same thing happened to my python deep in the backcountry.  They used an elk bone and pulled it right out, luckily my heavy azz bear box, lag bots (multiple) and a bolt cutter proof lock kept the dirt bags from getting my camera.  You should post pics of the dbag that broke your camera!  What county or area was your camera in? Not looking for your spot, just curious if it’s in pierce county.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:44:45 PM »
Thurston County, not too far from Tenino.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 07:09:22 PM »
Well Antler glad you were able to recoup some of your loss. Was the kid there to tell you why he did this? Sometimes that is embarrassment enough to detour this type of further activity. Sometimes its better to be over cautious and go with the non bolt cut type lock and lag bolting in a bear box even when you think your far enough away from any road. Enough people out in the woods these days that you never know. It usually not a matter of if but when these days especially if its a long soak that the thief has time to return with tools.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 08:53:28 PM »
I love that story, I'm more interested in the story of how you recovered the photos, and  how that discussion went  nice work.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
Glad you got your gear back. Would love to hear if he had a reason he didn’t want his photos on the camera. Still awesome that he brought the cam back.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 03:07:43 AM »
This is why I buy cheap cameras and don’t even bother with locks.   I’ve only lost one out of 20+ in all the years of using them.  It was a $36 Wildgame Innovation camera, so no big deal.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:02:26 AM »
1 out of 20 is not bad odds weather its a $5 cam or a $150 cam
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:24:34 AM »
This is why I buy cheap cameras and don’t even bother with locks.   I’ve only lost one out of 20+ in all the years of using them.  It was a $36 Wildgame Innovation camera, so no big deal.

I run cheap cameras as well.   

Both for this reason and just because I can afford a bunch of cheap ones or a couple expensive ones.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 07:28:54 AM »
A $45 software download let me recover the photos because the card hadn’t been reformatted.

His explanation was that he has had some people messing with his trail cameras and he thought maybe my camera belonged to one of them. Somehow he claims he figured out I wasn’t one of the bad guys (maybe because my name is on the banner of my photos, and we live in a smal town...still not sure on that part), he brought the camera back, and actually left a note apologizing for messing with it.

I showed his photo to my buddy who has coached baseball in town for years, and he knew who the kid was instantly. I sent him a message on Facebook (only way I knew how to contact him), and explained that I had the photos, and he need to buy me a new camera. He sent me his phone number and we talked on the phone to sort it out. Shortly after, his mom sent me a very long apology as well, and she was rather embarrassed as one of her daughters had actually worked for my family’s business in town at one point.

My new camera arrives today.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.  What an odd experience for sure.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
Darn kids here.  Good way to handle things. :tup: Do any of you hang em higher so ladder needed to access?  I think it would reduce theft.  I don't run cameras so its just an idea of mine?
MAGA!  Again..

Offline chiwawadan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 09:04:46 AM »
These can be pivotal experiences for young people - perhaps this will be a significant landmark in the young man's psychological development, hopefully toward the good. One can hope!

Glad you got your gear back and thanks for the warning!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]