collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Your Move 2018, Episode #1  (Read 2730 times)

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Your Move 2018, Episode #1
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
22 September, early morning on a sidehill in (insert elk state). You've worked in close to a bull with cows...within 80 yards. You've dogged the group for 1/4 to 1/2 a mile uphill in some pretty steep terrain, off to one side, as the thermals are coming down this fine elk woods morning.. in an attempt to remain undetected by the multiple noses in the group. The bull had responded back to your locater bugle either time you hollered earlier with menacing challenge bugles and grunts warning you to stay away. For the last 25 minutes, you've kept your mouth shut (not a peep on your diaphram) as you've determined he (the bull) or the lead cow is moving the herd up the sidehill away from you and to the bedding area. The big guy has stopped a few times and knocked the snott out of some innocent trees. Let's say it's 0840 now. Moving as quickly as possible, you jog when it's open, walk on choked in elk trails, and crawl in the thick stuff to get a bit closer, and then....you detect movement above you... to the right... in the direction of where you think the bull and cows are. It's a cow and she has locked eyes on your movement. You freeze and you figure she has seen your movement, but you're in cover so she really is not too sure what you are. The cow "barks" once at you no more than 40 yards away, turns and looks over her right shoulder uphill in the direction of the herd, and then looks back at you.. You're pinned down for the most part. What should you do.. Geez, I've never been here before. ;)

I know it's tough to answer without being there and knowing all the variables but for these scenarios, it's just a medium to offer suggestions and share ideas.. Back on topic.... You're close to the herd with a bull/cows and a cow (perhaps a sentry) has kind of pinned you down. What should you do with the information provided in an attempt to bring the bull home for dinner? Bull only tag by the way.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
Re: Your Move 2018, Episode #1
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:18:47 PM »
These are great scenarios. Fun to think about in the off season.

I’d be pretty tempted to let a challenge bugle rip. The herd is close and the bull should be feeling defensive. If the cow busts and the bull still thinks you’re an intruder, he might cruise over to see what the heck is going on. He hasn’t n seen or smelled you yet and making him think that cow is just spooked by another bull might be a good option.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:53:39 PM »
Since the cow has already barked and knows something is out of place, I am just going to sit tight and let her hopefully calm down. With any luck she will mosey back to the herd and give an opportunity to move again. If things go the other way and she continues to bark and shows signs that she is fixing to bolt, I would try to pour on some calling, make it seem like a satellite bull has snuck in and is trying to make a move. If the cow does bolt I would try to use the sound to my advantage, like another bull stole her from the heard. If she is going to bust anyway, might as well take the chance.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:11:36 PM »
Remind myself to not hunt in a bull-only area.

I would likely blow a cow/calf call in that situation.  You are probably going to get busted so I would start with a few cow calls and then rip off a bugle - not much to lose.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
I would let a bugle fly, your under a hundred from the herd, the cow my bump a little but she wants an elk response. The bull is not going to appreciate someone else with his cow. Try to use her movement and noise to cut a some distance. Also he is going to try to come in to the situation at his advantage. He is already above you so this should give him some extra momentum. Clear the brush and see if he commits. Worst case he moves the cows away and your still in the game.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:37:11 PM by northwesthunter84 »

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 07:43:11 PM »
Immediately rip off a nasty lip bawl bugle calling the cows to me and warning the bull that I’m here to take his hot cow!  Good chance he is going to make an appearance And come in hot! ... if this doesn’t work, I will chill out for an hour or two and then try to locate him in his bed and go from there.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 07:54:58 PM »
I recommend doing what I normally do.... I cow call once, and the entire herd stampedes off to the next county. :chuckle:

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:04:51 AM »
I recommend doing what I normally do.... I cow call once, and the entire herd stampedes off to the next county. :chuckle:

Post of the week  ;).  Thanks, I needed that. 
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 09:15:50 AM »
But the benefit is you call in every hunter in the area!! :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:59:27 AM »
Every answer thus far is correct, IMO, but maybe especially Crunchy's!

I've tried everything in this scenario. Once, I even gave a nervous grunt/bark to the sentry cow that had busted me before she barked.  Must have blown her mind.  I talked to her at 15 yards for 20 minutes hoping she would move on.  I finally gave her my entire elk repertoire on the diaphragm, including my turkey clucks. Then I talked to her (sweetly) in English. She just stared.  I finally walked away towards the bull and she watched me go without moving or barking.  Didn't catch up to the bull.

Offline hornhunter1987

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »
I’d do give a really deep three note chuckle and start thrashing a tree with the giant shed I found while following the herd. With that being said, I don’t know what the hell im talking about. I just try and imagine what the bro guys or asp would do lol

Offline asl20bball

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »
I had this happen to me once...in a herd there is a pecking order (if you will). Sometimes - if youre lucky - the cow that barks is low on that order and the herd may just ignore or not give much meaning to the bark. Yes, they will look up but soon go back to feeding. On the other hand if the barking cow bolts that's another story or if the bark comes from the lead cow or another cow that is near the front youre screwed.
In my situation the cow that barked was at the rear of the herd and barked on 3-4 different occasion over a 5 min span but the herd basically ignored her and kept feeding (perhaps the herd saw her as some old broad with anxiety and over time got sick of her being the 'boy that cried wolf' too often)....Anyway, Long story short we shot a bull that day within a 100 yards of the first bark.  So... I would always sit tight and don't make any noise after this...let it play out naturally espcially if the bark comes from the middle/rear of the herd.
Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 08:42:18 AM »
Hey folks, I normally don't chime in a lot on these... I just lay em' out for ya'all to play out  8).  I will however offer "don't sleep on a Poison Arrow Decoy, pretty cow face, attached to the last arrow in your quiver".  They have worked for me time and time again as both a caller in a partner situation, and, as a solo hunter.  I've had cows feeding 15 yards away from me with the decoy deployed, and, have had Bullwinkle(s) crash into me on several occasions (see pic below) while using a PAG.  Just saying, it may be something you wish to add to your bow hunting elk toolkit!  RJ

Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
Nice bull, RJ.  I've deployed my PAD only a couple of times, but was surprised how it allowed me to move in on a herd.  Valerius Geist wrote about a theory that elk (maybe all ungulates) focus on the head, so you only need a head decoy, not the full body.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]