collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana bowhunter education  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Montana bowhunter education
« on: February 20, 2018, 06:03:35 PM »
I just received my MT packet and was perusing it when I noticed that I need to buy a Bow and Arrow license to archery hunt.  This license requires a a certificate from a NBEF course which I probably won't be able to do before March 15.

It looks like I just need it before I hunt, but I can't confirm anywhere that I would be able to apply for a special permit without it.  I have never applied for an archery only special permit in MT, so I don't know if it asks for the certificate number or anything like that.  Can anyone confirm one way or another?  If I just need it before September I am fine, but if I need it by March 15, I need to completely change my hunting season plans. :bash:

The WDFW website only lists courses for 2017, so it is as helpful as usual.

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Montana bowhunter education
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
I believe they will accept proof of a license in another state.  I used Idaho archery tag as validation.  Remembering back I was able to put in for the draws but when I showed up to hunt I needed to buy my archery validation which I used my tag from another state as proof.  I've never taken any archery courses but I do like to shoot elk with my bow.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
 :yeah: Also if you have previously hunted in MT in the past. If you hunted archery here in Wa proof via archery tag
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:04:35 PM »
I've been hunting archery in MT for several years.  I buy the archery endorsement online.  I think they may ask for a state and license year in which you had an archery endorsement in the past. 
If you have hunted in another state with an archery tag, such as WA, just put the year that you last hunted archery in WA. 

I can't imagine that MT, or any other state, would spend the time and money to contact other states to verify that you held an archery tag in that state in the past. 

I have bought the archery only antelope tag and don't recall being asked for proof of archery education or previous archery licenses at the time that I applied for the tag (900 series archery only antelope tag).  I believe the only time you will be asked is when you purchase the $10 archery endorsement and you can do that any time before you take the field. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 08:16:28 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal