collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looks like its going to be a late spring  (Read 12101 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Looks like its going to be a late spring
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 12:17:15 PM »
The birds have just been hammered this winter over 80% winter kill.  You guys might as well just stay home.   :P
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline turkey slayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »
(except where WDFW issues kill permits in lieu of trapping an relocating >:().

Wacenturion, what do you meen

Offline giddyhitch

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 12:21:51 PM »
Turkey might be looking a bit thin in Colville area after we get done with this thread.  :yike:  :yike:  :yike: :chuckle:

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »
I agree..............I heard the place to go this spring is the Hanford Energy Reservation near Tri-cities.......some monster Tom's are on the prowl!   :yike:
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
WaCent - I agree wholeheartedly with you about WDFW's unilateral decision to target all turkeys versus "excess" turkeys (there are no problem birds, just excess birds) simple because Mick didn't want to have one farmer complain ... and if they did he could point and say he personally was correcting that "problem". >:(  
I lost respect for the upland bird "manager" who had agreed at our state meeting to defer any thought of that until this year to allow for further study and additional comment ... and the negotiations for the new 3 year management plan.  

>:(  Hey Mick !!! - Target the "excess" birds, not the entire population ... we worked too hard for this wonderful opportunity !!!  >:( >:( >:(

Offline giddyhitch

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »
Well, I hope everybody goes there, then I will let everyone know how I did up by Colville  :P  :chuckle:

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 01:30:27 PM »
(except where WDFW issues kill permits in lieu of trapping an relocating >:().

Wacenturion, what do you meen

At times in the recent past WDFW has essentially issued a kill permit and even helped eliminate birds that were considered a nuisance in some locations in the NE.  Tried to search to find one article from the Spokeman Review by Rich Launders a few years ago, but could not locate it.
WDFW used to trap and relocate birds to other counties in the 90's....that was the right way and promoted great PR between the affected landowner, local sportsmen, as well as landowners and sportmen/public in other counties that were receiving the birds.
This new approach of killing birds by WDFW officials and/or landowners outside the season or by increasing the fall harvest limits to hopefully rid areas of excess birds is just the "I'm to lazy to do it right management " by WDFW powers to be.  Of course these guys hate turkeys, so I guess this is a predictable management approach.  Personally...I think WDFW needs a good enema.   
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »
Well put WaCent ... I know that it was just two or three years ago that they shot 90+ birds out of the trees of a ranch I hunt in the fall (and close to a place I hunt in the spring) ... the birds went to the local food bank which was the only good thing to come out of that ill advised adventure.

Offline fishunt247

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 03:26:18 PM »
It is too bad that the transplanting hasn't continued. Some counties benefited tremendously from this, and all Merriam counties could use a boost from the NE birds... introducing new blood lines never hurts.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »
It is too bad that the transplanting hasn't continued. Some counties benefited tremendously from this, and all Merriam counties could use a boost from the NE birds... introducing new blood lines never hurts.

So true.....especially when you have excess birds to deal with.  Everyone wins.  But then again each WDFW Region has an office and you have your naysayers there also.  Can you imagine a reason for denying the release of birds into Klickitat County in the late 90's that were trapped in Stevens?  Merriams...same subspecies.....just didn't want any more birds is all.  Regional Wildlife Biologist and his field biologist were opposed.  I think they believed they would eat all the western pond turtles or endangered snails.  You know all that "sky is falling bull****" these eco freaks throw out to defend their stance. 
Unbelievable.  They...those idiots, also nixed several additional releases of Easterns into areas of SW Washington.  Doesn't make you feel warm all over knowing WDFW staff is looking out for you and creating more opportunity?  Like I said above...WDFW needs an enema.  Those kind of people should have never been hired.   :bdid: 
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
Funny, they are not shy about increasing your hunting fees for species that they refuse to provide population support for ... this year however, 3 NWTF biologists are coming out to "help" the WDFW with their 3 year game management plan ... keep the fingers crossed.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 03:54:23 PM »
Dancer....I sure hope the assist those three NWTF Biologists give WDFW is better than the idiotic proposal they recommended for Rio's as the bird for Whatcom County.  Now you've got me worried.  Good thing turkey season is almost here.
Did I see somewhere you and your son were going to N. Lincoln for the opener?  If so, might run into you as that's where I plan to open with this year, unless it's still snowed in.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 04:24:51 PM by Wacenturion »

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 04:17:24 PM »
Funny, they are not shy about increasing your hunting fees for species that they refuse to provide population support for ... this year however, 3 NWTF biologists are coming out to "help" the WDFW with their 3 year game management plan ... keep the fingers crossed.

Well that should say it all right there... apparently the people in charge have no clue how to manage wild turkeys in Washington if they need assistance from outside Washington.   They are after money plain and simple (cooperatively speaking)..which can be positive don't get me wrong.  Hopefully the WANWTF representatives can also meet with these biologists and voice concerns..So that they don't give the powers that be the OK as the "NWTF representatives"..Maybe I 'm just paranoid.   It would be positive to grease the skids with these representatives and have the NWTF biologists develop a better plan than the current one.  One that promotes education and works with private landowners on nuisance issues.  Bringing back trap and transfer efforts, etc..  The Wild Turkey is the most successful sport in Washington and there is a lot of money made at the state level as well as locally.  It is a renewable resource...we now harvest 6000 birds statewide...which is amazing compared to 12 years ago...I am biased because I love the sport.   :twocents:

Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline fishunt247

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 04:31:57 PM »
Centurion, are you referencing the region 3 biologist, the same one who got in all that heat a few years back about falsifying evidence of the lynx. If you are, my dad a little squabble with him during some of the Yakima County plants. My dad, who was the chapter chairman of the Yakima chapter, tried to persuade him to plant some birds in Reynolds Creek. Traditionally, on every other plant in the Tampico area, birds naturally migrated over to Reynolds Creek and did well there. But the biologist claimed that Reynolds Creek didn't have as many "pine nuts" so the birds would survive the winters as well. What a joke. Too much "science" and not enough actual observation. Guess what? After the plants in Nasty Creek and other areas in Tampico, more birds ended up in Reynolds Creek. Go figure.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »
Yelp....well said.  Also, as a point of reference historically for all of you, it wasn't too many years ago, I believe during the mid 80's when all the recent introductions began, the statewide turkey harvest at one point was.....................are you ready......?

Now............6000 birds harvested
Mid 80's......... 62 birds harvested

Now that's what I call a stimulus!  :yike:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]