collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10/22 Replacement Triggers  (Read 1537 times)

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
10/22 Replacement Triggers
« on: February 22, 2018, 03:08:28 PM »
I was looking at making a few of my 10/22's better shooters.  I have replaced several of the barrels and now I am lookin at the triggers.  I replaced one with the BX-Trigger.  It is a cheap fix.  Looking at replaceing the others with a Volquartsen TG2000 or a Kidd Trigger.  Anyone have experience with either one or both?  Would you go single or double stage and why?  The next two 10/22's that I am going to overhaul will be for my boys to shoot the Scouts league with.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline hiway_99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Scout
    • https://m.facebook.com/100088313187853/
Re: 10/22 Replacement Triggers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 03:52:15 PM »
I have both triggers.  I much prefer the kidd over the volquartzen.  It's a smoother trigger lighter pull triger then my volquartzen.  There both way better then stock triggers.   I haven't tried the bx25 triggers for comparison yet.  Not sure I want to build another $1000+ 22.

What barrels did you go with?  I have one with a fluted whisling pig.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
Lots of great you tube videos on how to do a trigger job on a stock one. Took some time and sand paper but wasn't hard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »
I have both triggers.  I much prefer the kidd over the volquartzen.  It's a smoother trigger lighter pull triger then my volquartzen.  There both way better then stock triggers.   I haven't tried the bx25 triggers for comparison yet.  Not sure I want to build another $1000+ 22.

What barrels did you go with?  I have one with a fluted whisling pig.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I placed Kimber bull barrels on them.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »
I used a file on the stock trigger to improve mine.  It's not extremely crisp, but it made it much lighter and I like it.

The angles on the engagement faces between the trigger and hammer from the factory are such that as you pull the trigger it pushes the hammer back further before it releases.  That's why the trigger pull is so hard.  I filed down the faces to change the angle such that when i pull the trigger it doesn't push the hammer back further(the faces are at right angles from their direction of movement).  Use caution not to file the angle back too much or you will risk misfire.  When i was finished I cocked the gun, empty of course(tripple checked), and did a few drop tests with the rifle on the carpet to make sure it wouldn't mis-fire.

45 minutes of time and no money out of pocket. 

Offline Ram161

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: Rmef, OHA
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
Sent mine to brimstone gunsmithing in Washington.
Set at 2.3 lbs no creep.  $69.00. My hunting partner has a volquatzen and I can't tell the difference.
They offer 3 grades of trigger tunning.

Offline BLR 243

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 05:59:14 PM »
Brimstone :tup:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 08:26:21 PM »
I used a file on the stock trigger to improve mine.  It's not extremely crisp, but it made it much lighter and I like it.

The angles on the engagement faces between the trigger and hammer from the factory are such that as you pull the trigger it pushes the hammer back further before it releases.  That's why the trigger pull is so hard.  I filed down the faces to change the angle such that when i pull the trigger it doesn't push the hammer back further(the faces are at right angles from their direction of movement).  Use caution not to file the angle back too much or you will risk misfire.  When i was finished I cocked the gun, empty of course(tripple checked), and did a few drop tests with the rifle on the carpet to make sure it wouldn't mis-fire.

45 minutes of time and no money out of pocket.
I've found that by doing basic gunsmithing like this I've learned so much about the firearms I own. Many people rave about the firearms of yester year with the fit and finish. Today's manufacturing is great, however if you want that hand fit and finishbyou can pay $, or some sweat equity and learn yourself.

I personally feel it is hard to screw much up hand sanding stuff. Yes belt sanding is much quicker  but a light sanding even in the wrong spot hasn't hurt much. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 09:05:43 PM »
Have done quite a few myself.  I use the stones from a Lansky knife sharpener. That way I can sort of "sneak up" on that perfect (to me) 2 1/2lb. crisp, clean, breaks like a glass rod, trigger break. After doing 10 or so, I ended up building a jig so I didn't have to keep re-installing them to check the weight.  Finally saved up enough pennies though, and bought a used two-stage Kidd... and then another, and one more.  That's the best trigger I've ever experienced...I have two 8oz/8oz, and one 12oz/12oz.  They are dedicated Sage Rat guns, for sitting in one place and annihilating squeaks.  I wouldn't pack a rifle with a trigger that light.
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal