collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washington: Anti-Gun Legislators Attempting to Revive Gun Control Bill  (Read 5463 times)

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
The NRA has been made aware of an attempt by anti-gun legislators to revive legislation that failed to meet committee and crossover deadlines, and under normal circumstances would be dead for this session. One bill possibly being brought back from the dead is Substitute Senate Bill 5444, a bill that would create a back-door registry and 10 day waiting period on common semi-automatic rifles, as well as raise the minimum age for these rifles to 21.

Don't let these anti-gun legislators maneuver their way into passing gun control legislation through procedural political games. Click on the "Take Action" button below and urge your state Senator to OPPOSE these underhanded political maneuvers!

If you would like to read the details of SSB 5444, http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5444&Year=2017&cs-from=18814de7-0acd-450f-9aee-7e0e1c9fedb0. If you have any questions about this legislation, or want to learn more ways you can make a difference this session, contact me at ben@nrailafrontlines.com or call (703) 708-4487.
Yours in Freedom,

Ben Carpenter
Grassroots Field Coordinator
NRA-ILA

Offline CP

• Old Salt
Re: Washington: Anti-Gun Legislators Attempting to Revive Gun Control Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »
And it goes on and on - 12 sections

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 08:04:08 AM »
And it goes on and on - 12 sections

Is the license bullet proof? cause that the only way it will help stop a mass shooting.  Or maybe it can be thrown at the bad guy.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:43:49 AM »
The substitute bill does not include the “Assault Weapon License”. It is modified so that you do not have the waiting period if you have a CPL. It essentially makes buying an AR-15 the exact same as buying a pistol, including having to be 21 years old.

I don’t agree with it, but when sending your emails, at least reference stuff that is actually in the bill.  :twocents:

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 08:56:49 AM »
Which version is being resubmitted?

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 10:12:40 AM »
Which version is being resubmitted?
Per your post above, it says the Substitute. If you follow the link you provided and click to view the Substitue bill, you will see the section that you posted a screenshot of isn’t in there.

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
Thanks.  I should read my own posts more carefully.  This should be a direct link to the substitute:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5444-S.pdf#page=1

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
Thanks.  I should read my own posts more carefully.  This should be a direct link to the substitute:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/5444-S.pdf#page=1
Yep, that’s the one.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 11:28:06 PM »
Umm the bill hasn't even passed out of committee, let alone had any action taken on it for 3 weeks. It would have to get out of the Ways and Means Committee, thru the Rules committee, passed thru the Senate, then go thru everything again in the House. All before March 2nd.

Not going to happen.

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 08:15:38 PM »
@bigtex

How about SB6620 where it has almost the same language, except instead of calling them “Assault Weapons” they are called “semi-automatic rifles with tactical features”?

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=6620&Year=2017

Offline olyguy79

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 10:54:27 PM »
@bigtex

How about SB6620 where it has almost the same language, except instead of calling them “Assault Weapons” they are called “semi-automatic rifles with tactical features”?

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=6620&Year=2017
Hasn't even had a hearing yet, the legislative session ends Friday. Won't happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Hi-Liter

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
I can just see all these gun grab bills being put on ballots in the near future

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »
I can just see all these gun grab bills being put on ballots in the near future
Agreed

Offline labsetters

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: PF, NRA,
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 10:51:48 PM »
The bill that is up currently is "Substitute Senate Bill 6620". This one is light years worse than the earlier version which apparently didn't clear the committee.

This one is tied to a child/student/school safety bill. Who doesn't want safe schools and kids?

The poison pill is that this bill now includes some of the badness of the previous bill/bills, but now includes specificity for purchase/possession of a "semiautomatic rifle". A brief review of this 28 page bill suggests to me that the authors of this bill plan to do their best to drive anyone who sells guns out of business. In addition, the hoops one will have to jump through to purchase a gun which meets their criteria will be extremely difficult/time consuming for both the purchaser and the gun dealer.

The real kicker is where they want go with this bill in trampling individual rights. If you fail to cross any t or dot any i, they want to get you, and the dealer.

The astounding portion of this bill to me, is found on page 19 Section 16, which states that a "signed application to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic rifle, shall constitute a waiver of confidentiality, and acts as a written request by you, that DSHS, local mental health agencies and local medical treatment facilities, release to an inquiring court and/or law enforcement agency information relevant to the applicant's eligibility to purchase a pistol or semiautomatic rifle to that inquiring court or law enforcement agency".

Essentially this means when you apply for a pistol or semiautomatic rifle purchase, you are signing away your confidentiality of your medical history/records, any DSHS or other legal history, without any recourse for you. After more than 30 years in the health care field, I cannot fathom how they could even come up with this invasion of privacy. This could be applied to virtually all such gun purchases. I doubt this could hold up to actual legal scrutiny, but in this state, you never know.
Don't want your medical records or past history looked at by these agencies (especially considering the stellar track record of DSHS and our challenges with community mental health), then don't purchase a gun. That's what the authors of this bill want.

This doesn't count the 18-21 years old, because they won't be able to buy semiautomatic rifles anyway, under earlier provisions of this bill.

The next real kicker is found on page 20, section 18, which essentially clears the state/local governments/government/state workers/any other public or private entity for their errors/mistakes (think the FBI and local school district in Florida. They would be cleared immediately under this bill). If they screw up and someone gets hurt, the bill, if it becomes law, prevents any responsibility or liability on their part. Incredible!  Oh, by the way, this section also clears them for screwing up/delaying a CPL to a person who may lawfully have one or dealer licensing/application issues etc. The way it words, if the state screws up and gives a dealer bad info which allows an unlawful person to obtain a weapon which is then used in a crime, the state is not responsible, but the lawful gun dealer may then be charged and held liable, even though the state agency provided the bad information which would allow the sale of the weapon in the first place.

I strongly encourge all to at least briefly scan this draconian bill. Please immediately contact your state representatives to ensure this bill never sees the light of day, as it seems clear to me that the ultimate intent is to eventually prevent anyone from purchasing or selling a gun in this state.

If anyone thinks I am incorrect or out of line with any of my interpretation of this proposed bill, please let me know.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 06:46:08 PM »
I strongly encourge all to at least briefly scan this draconian bill. Please immediately contact your state representatives to ensure this bill never sees the light of day, as it seems clear to me that the ultimate intent is to eventually prevent anyone from purchasing or selling a gun in this state.

If anyone thinks I am incorrect or out of line with any of my interpretation of this proposed bill, please let me know.
The legislative session for 2018 ended today.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]