collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Aluminum boat question..narrowing down some choices  (Read 3151 times)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Aluminum boat question..narrowing down some choices
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »
So I'm in the market for a used aluminum boat..doing a lot of research and window shopping now.
I just wanted to bounce a few questions off of those who are smarter than me in this category.
From what i've found...I want something in the 14-16 degree hull range. yay or nay?
Intended uses include lakes, and sound for crab, shrimp, salmon, etc.  not chasing tuna  :chuckle:
anyways.. a few boats that seem to fit the bill of size 18-20 ft, price, and availability are the alumaweld strykers and intruders.
I've come across a few hewescraft sportsmans in my search, but those have a 10 degree hull, and it seems that would be MUCH rougher in chop.
Am I over exaggerating that assumption or is that fairly in line?
Anyways, any other advice is always appreciated.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Aluminum boat question..narrowing down some choices
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 01:14:33 PM »
I own a 18 ft Hewescraft Sportsman with a Honda 90.  It does not handle the chop very well at all.  I manage, but get beat up pretty bad in choppy water.  I also don't like that the hull is so thin.  I don't see getting rid of it cause it is a good boat, but would be better with a thicker hull, and more of a V to cut through chop.

Offline Henrydog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
I grew up on the water, worked at a marina for 8 years and have been a marine insurance adjuster for 20 years.  IMHO with boats in the size range if it is more than a moderate chop you should not be out on salt water anyways.  Hewes is a local hometown favorite but their workmanship has become a little sloppy from what I have seen the last couple of years.  Look closely at the fit and finish.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:15 PM »
I don't think any boat in that size range is going to be comfortable in choppy water.  Perhaps I'm wrong.  All else being the same, if you're sticking to the sound, bigger and deeper v would be a better ride.

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 01:34:55 PM »
I grew up on the water, worked at a marina for 8 years and have been a marine insurance adjuster for 20 years.  IMHO with boats in the size range if it is more than a moderate chop you should not be out on salt water anyways.  Hewes is a local hometown favorite but their workmanship has become a little sloppy from what I have seen the last couple of years.  Look closely at the fit and finish.
weather will be taken into consideration for when it's out on the salt, that is for sure.
weathers bad? stay home.  no fish is worth my, or my friends safety..
i guess that's where my question of over looking something like the sportsman comes up.
i wont be going out purposefully in rough water..so would that be a good choice.. or would the better choice be to opt for something like a 20 ft intruder.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 02:13:29 PM »
Get a well built boat with a reverse chine hull, they completely change the game.

Check out RH Sea Hawk, I have an 18' with a 90 Mercury CT and it is a sweet setup.  They make an 18, 19 and 20, but if I had room to store a 20, it would be an offshore bracket.

The boats are built in Oregon, have a great design and are very competitively priced compared to better known names.  Cabelas handles them on and off if you want to see one first hand.

The amount of chop they can handle is incredible, self bailing bow handles the water you do get.  The boat can handle much more chop than I can.  I end up bailing because it is impossible to fish long before I worry about getting home.  I can put the bow down a bit, throttle back and have a decent, dry ride at about 2/3 top end speed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:21:26 PM by Stein »

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 02:28:11 PM »
Boulton Power Boats out of Oregon, makes some of the most comfortable 20 ft ocean going boats I have ever been in. My Brother in law has a loaded out 20ft skiff with a 250 4-stroke Honda mounted on a offshore bracket, Honda kicker and all the electronics/radar.
Awesome boat!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 03:31:07 PM »
Lots of companies make a nice boat. The hull degree along with the beam and bottom width will make all the difference. Some boats with a deep v have a narrow bottom which will make them pitch from side to side. Definitely look for a boat with a reverse chine. They make a world of difference. I have a 22' edge marine os. It has a 60 degree bow entry tapered to 20 degree hull. It also has a 96" bottom with a 102" beam and reverse chine. It has about as good a ride in rough water as you will find in an aluminum boat but isn't the best for bass fishing. I don't bass fish so it works great for me. Gotta look at what will work best for your type of fishing.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 03:33:31 PM »
Lots of companies make a nice boat. The hull degree along with the beam and bottom width will make all the difference. Some boats with a deep v have a narrow bottom which will make them pitch from side to side. Definitely look for a boat with a reverse chine. They make a world of difference. I have a 22' edge marine os. It has a 60 degree bow entry tapered to 20 degree hull. It also has a 96" bottom with a 102" beam and reverse chine. It has about as good a ride in rough water as you will find in an aluminum boat but isn't the best for bass fishing. I don't bass fish so it works great for me. Gotta look at what will work best for your type of fishing.

Sweet boat!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 03:52:40 PM »
My buddy bought an Edge offshore and sounds like they are great boats as well.

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 04:07:46 PM »
i've got some serious boat envy  :chuckle:

Offline Fishmaker57

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, CCA
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 04:55:29 PM »
Boulton Power Boats out of Oregon, makes some of the most comfortable 20 ft ocean going boats I have ever been in. My Brother in law has a loaded out 20ft skiff with a 250 4-stroke Honda mounted on a offshore bracket, Honda kicker and all the electronics/radar.
Awesome boat!

Agreed! After spending days going through boats at the Seattle Boat Show and the Puyallup Show, we bought a 20' Boulton and couldn't be happier. Best price, best fit and finish of any make, factory direct, and a 1/2" bottom.....these things are solid! Their market has been mostly Law Enforcement.....rarely see a used one. If you go new, you won't regret it......6 years later and it still books for the same price we paid for it!

Offline Huntin Hounds

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »
A buddy has a 17' smokercraft that he can fish smaller and shallower lakes but has also been on pretty rough water on Pend Oreille and potholes. I've fished with him and another guy and it was comfortable for 3 adults. Wouldn't want anymore though. I'm not sure what the dimensions are but probably similar to a hewescraft sportsman.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 07:55:38 PM »
If only big water, get the deepest V you can. My 22.5’ Raptor with 84” bottom and 102”ish beam has seen some choppy water, and it handled it better than expected, but certainly not like a dedicated big water boat.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:34 AM »
My friend works at Hewes and says they are built better than most boats.......
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]