collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind  (Read 6750 times)

Offline milldozer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
In another month or so I will have my student loans paid off and want to buy a nice rifle setup as a gift to myself.  I will be using it primarily for backpack deer hunts as well as westside elk.  Accuracy/reliability is my most important criteria.  Below is what I've settled on given my budget, personal preference, research, etc.  I am also left-handed, which significantly reduces my options in the rifle department.  Looking for feedback or other recommendations that may change my mind.

Rifle:  7mm Rem Mag Tikka T3x Lite
Scope:  Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42 Firedot
Bullets:  Noser 160gr Accubond Handloads (Assuming they group)

Thanks!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:15:23 PM »
I would consider bumping up to at least 3-18 VX6HD or 3-15 VX5HD.  Lotta $ for a 2-12 power. 
Best bang for buck is vx6 3-18 from optics planet non-hd for about half the hd and you will hardly notice difference.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
What's your max budget you want to spend?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 03:12:54 PM »
Not what I would choose, but can't criticize the choices there.

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »
$2500 total or so.  Maybe up to $3000.

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
I should say, I like the idea of that 2-12 leupold for its size and weight.  I have also gotten myself in trouble with "too much" magnification, cranking up to higher than I needed in the moment.  I suppose that's just a learning experience though.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »
I recently bought a Vortez Razor HD LH 3-15x42 to put on one of my little CZ 527's.  I'll be the first to admit, I'm far from a fan of Vortex scopes because its been experience you have to get up to their top level scopes before they are, consistently, very good.  But, I've been pleasantly surprised with the optics on the Razor HD LH because they are very good.  I have a non HD VX6 3-18x50 and a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 that I bought this past fall and this Razor HD LH I just got is easily on par with either of those and actually is noticeably brighter.  It's a 1in. tube scope with side adj. and is relatively light compared to nearly all my other scopes.  So far, the only thing I have to complain about is the turrets are a little more spongy than I'm used to but considering I won't be dialing with this scope, that doesn't really matter.  Again, I'm not really a fan of Vortex scopes but I liked this Razor HD LH 3-15x42 so much I already bought another one.

Last time I looked, Cabelas still had the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 on sale for $599 and I believe the Zeiss HD5's are on sale as well.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 04:29:41 PM »
It'd be hard to beat a new Christensen Ridgeline  In 7 mag topped with a vortex viper gen II. 

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »
 $2500-$3000 is a decent budget.  Especially if you settle on that rifle choice, that leaves alot for scope/mounts.  Once you get into to that $1200-$1800+ in scope price, it opens up more make and model options.   Go take a look through as many scopes at the store as you can in your desired price range.  My preference in that range is Swarovski Z5/Z6 and Zeiss V6. 

Not being left handed I'm no help on the rifle topic.   But just a quick search, yeah there are limited options there.   I like Browning, but their left handed options are limited, especially if you want stainless for west side. 

For bullet, my 7mmRM likes the Nosler 168gr ABLR.   That's all I shoot in it anymore.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
I am left eye dominant so i used to be set on getting left handed rifles but after realizing when you shoot from any kind of rest it's faster to cycle/shoot and easier to load single rounds with a right handed rifle not to mention re sale is much easier and selection is way better.Also i i carry it on my right shoulder so the bolt handle doesn't dig into my ribs/side either and one other thing i used to be concerned with is quick fallow up shot but when they are really close i would not of had enough time regardless of which side the bolt was on. I guess what i am trying to say in short is if there is something right handed that you really like why pigeon hole yourself to a left handed rifle? Your choice in rifle and scope is just fine as it stands. :tup:

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Gave me some things to think about.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:11:44 PM »
I should say, I like the idea of that 2-12 leupold for its size and weight.  I have also gotten myself in trouble with "too much" magnification, cranking up to higher than I needed in the moment.  I suppose that's just a learning experience though.

I think you're on the right track. I've never had any trouble shooting at MOA sized targets at any range with 10-12x scopes. It's no different than shooting at a 1" dot at 100 yards with the same magnification.

I will poke at your caliber choice though. 7mm Mags are boring!!! :chuckle:

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
I have a Tikka superlite in 7mm with a vx-6 3-18x40 cds. It definitely doesn't have the sexy factor like some other rifles BUT it weighs 7 1/2 scoped with a full mag, shoots 1/2" with the 1st powder/bullet combo I tried and has a pretty decent trigger.  :twocents:

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »
I will chime in and say that I recently put a vx5hd zl2 on a rifle and am very impressed with that scope so I’m sure you will be happy with the 6. Tikkas are proven shooters and the 7mm is a proven killer :twocents:
Go hawks

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
Where's the love for the Mark6 3-18?

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 08:30:14 PM »

I'm more intrigued by the Mk 5 series now.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »
I'm impressed that a young man would go for a scope with 2 power on the low end.  Intensely practical.  That usually develops in some of us after years of experience.  :)  FWIW after hunting big game for 60 years in two countries, I have never needed a scope with higher power but several times have had too much magnification:  and this was with 2-7 and 3-9 scopes most of the time though I bought a 6-18 and a 3.5-10 and soon went back to lower powered variables. 

I have had moose, coyotes, black bears, elk and deer too close for 3 and one time even for 2 power to focus, and the elk was powder burned.  There is no question that part of the reason for close shots is hunting style and choices, but close surprises happen to most of us once in awhile. 2-12 is a superb range for big game.  I hope the power ring turns easier than my 3-9 Leupie.

Anecdotal:  a friend of mine could not find a black bear at 15 feet in thick brush with his scope on 4 power, so he bought an open sight .30-30 the next day!  Another friend lost a mule deer when he approached the downed buck with his scope still set on I think it was 14 and the buck suddenly jumped up and ran into timber while he could not find it in his scope.  In both cases, IMO failure of the shooter to know how to mount a scoped rifle with sight on the target was a greater problem than scope power.  But low magnification is a sweet thing in many real hunting situations, not counting those who limit themselves to only long shots.   

My next rifle will be a Tikka T3 Lite.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »
Question for you. Do you currently have a bolt gun that you hunt with? If you do is it a righty or lefty?  The only reason i ask is because I am left handed and shoot left handed. When my dad got me my first bolt gun there werent many options in lefty so he got me a right handed 270.  So i was raised shooting a right bolt gun. When i finally was able to afford a new gun i wanted to get a lefty bolt gun. I was able to shoot a lefty before i went to make a my purchase and shooting the lefty was so awkward and i didnt like it. So i stuck with righty bolt guns since. I am use to them and can make quick follow up shoots, just as quick as rightys.  So if you are use to shooting right handed bolt guns i would just stick with them and it opens up alot more possibilities

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 06:12:50 AM »
My two cents,
Go with the Tikka Lite in a .280, less recoil for that light of a rifle.
The .280 should handle the 160 grains just fine.
Put a Vari Xll 3-9 on it and that should be all you need.
These scopes are bulletproof, won't break the bank and will serve you a lifetime of hunting.
I have used 3-9s and 2-7s for 45 years with great results and have shot a lot of game.
I am a real fan of low profile and compact.

You can then spend the grand that you will save on better gear that will allow you to stay in the field longer.
What you have selected will also be fine I am sure, a lot of this is preference.

Best of luck to you,
Rob.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 06:21:12 AM »
Do they make a tikka in 280?

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 06:22:12 AM »
Saveing  money on glass is always bad advice.  :twocents:

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 06:59:22 AM »
I have a tikka superlite 7mag with a zeiss 6.5-20 on it and its a nice light rig thats plenty capable out to 700 yds if I do my part for 16-1800 bucks ready to hunt. The vx5 3-15 might be the perfect scope for what you got in mind and tikkas shoot with great triggers. You cant go wrong with that setup.

On the other hand with your budget I kinda agree with yorke, boring. With a 2500+ budget and keeping close to the idea you have presented,I would choose an Xbolt Hells Canyon Speed in 28 nosler and put a nightforce 5-20x56 on it and have a few bucks left to put a trigger upgrade in to make it a 1000 yard killer or a really enjoyable rifle to pack that looks like a custom. :tup: :twocents:

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 07:34:02 AM »

I am a real fan of low profile and compact.

Best of luck to you,
Rob.

:yeah:  A kindred spirit! 

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2018, 07:51:35 AM »
I have hunted with a left handed Ruger M77 in 7mm for the last 10 years or so.  Its a fine rifle but haven't been able to shoot below 1.5 MOA with it, even with quite a bit of tinkering with hand loads.  I'd really like something that could lay down <1 MOA consistently.

As for the cartridge, I guess I'm just a 7mm loyalist.  Its what I grew up using, I've always had good results, and I'm already set up with dies.

I have entertained the thought of the Browning HC.  I also know this probably won't be my last rifle purchase.  My thought with the Tikka is to get the performance without breaking the bank at the moment.  Eventually I'd like to go all in on an RBros or Cooper.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
I think your selection is just perfect, put that scope in a good set of rings and mounts and you will have a rig you can tell your grand children stories about.

I too am a fan of low power/large FOV on the bottom end.  All of my coyote hunting guns wear 1-4x20 or 1.5x6x40 scopes and all will shoot sub MOA at 200 yards and coyotes at 300 are in mortal danger.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 09:27:55 PM »

I'm more intrigued by the Mk 5 series now.

Let me know if you want to try one. I'll kick you down one at cost. I've really put some thought into picking one up. The 3-18 is fairly compact and is way lighter than a NightForce.

Offline slm9s

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
Nothing wrong with the rifle choice.  Turn the trigger screw all the way out, get a limbsaver and Talley lightweights and you're set.

For the scope, I think the vx6 2-12 with illuminated LR Duplex is about perfect.  Perfect power range.  That little lit dot is excellent in our dark forests.  And the LRD allows hits to 500 without worrying about exposed turrets.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 02:57:27 AM »
With that budget you could look at the browning hells canyon.   

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 05:10:46 AM »
I would suggest a Cooper (very nice, unbelievable accuracy) with a Leupold in the 4.5 x 14.... I have a number of Coopers, they all shoot extremely well, never have I experienced any problems or disappointments in Cooper or Leupold. I have a Tikka and it is very good value for the money spent...have a 4.5x14 Leupold on it as well...

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2018, 08:43:22 AM »
After some further research I realized that the VX-6HD 2-12x42 doesn't have parallax adjustment.  Does this seem like a dealbreaker to those in the know?  I won't be shooting past 500-600 yards.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »
Would be for me.

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 06:56:39 AM »
After some further research I realized that the VX-6HD 2-12x42 doesn't have parallax adjustment.  Does this seem like a dealbreaker to those in the know?  I won't be shooting past 500-600 yards.

I wouldn’t worry about it. At lower magnifications (10-12x) and the ranges you’re planning to shoot it won’t make a big difference, especially for hunting. Plus it will save an ounce or two and keep a slightly smaller profile by not having the extra knob.

Offline sticky

• Scout
Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »
I’m a lefty due to an accident over twenty years ago, and I’ve carried an Xbolt in 30-06 with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 with ammo ranging from 150, 165, 180 grain of top offerings from the major brands. Damned if it doesn’t like Fusion the best. You can put a telescope on a rifle, but I prefer something that has good glass over mega distance. Shooting an elk from 600 yds doesn’t make you a better hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands, every where. Destroy this spirit, and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.

-Abraham Lincoln

Online Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 09:38:03 AM »
Shooting an elk from 600 yds doesn’t make you a better hunter.

It does if you use a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »
I'm a big fan of low power hunting scopes as well. My fav is a vortex viper 2.5-10x44 I got from bullblaster. Low light is no prob with that scope!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
I don't know how old you are and how your eyes are. But I'd been shooting a 2-10x scope throughout my first 40 years of hunting out to 400 yards without any problem. Now that I'm 60 and my eyes suck, the 2-10x I bought for my Grendel isn't enough. For shooting 500-600 yards, I'd need more magnification, like at least 16, possibly 20. It's surprising how fast eyesight can change as you get older.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 03:49:43 PM »
I don't know how old you are and how your eyes are. But I'd been shooting a 2-10x scope throughout my first 40 years of hunting out to 400 yards without any problem. Now that I'm 60 and my eyes suck, the 2-10x I bought for my Grendel isn't enough. For shooting 500-600 yards, I'd need more magnification, like at least 16, possibly 20. It's surprising how fast eyesight can change as you get older.
im 38 but hunt in north eastern wa. 200 yards is a long shot. You can't see that far in my hunting areas in most cases. Every deer I ever killed was in bow range, 200 yards being the farthest shot ever on a game animal
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:35 PM »
Any recommendations out there for a good set of 30mm tikka rings?  I would prefer rings that attach directly to  the receiver.

Also, stopped by a Bass Pro to put my hands on a vx6-hd.  I was a little disappointed in the feel of the turrets when dialing.  The clicks didn't feel very "positive".  Has anyone else had this experience?

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 08:06:53 AM »
My two cents,
Go with the Tikka Lite in a .280, less recoil for that light of a rifle.
The .280 should handle the 160 grains just fine.
no argument from me about the .280 being a fantastic cartridge, but i might give the nod to the 7mm mag in his case just because it doesn't appear that he is a reloader, and a lot of .280 ammo is pretty anemic due to the fact that it's loaded to function in those old remington 740s.  not to mention, that unless you live close to cabela's or sportsman's, it can be a little tough to find.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline tgray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 07:35:19 PM »
Any recommendations out there for a good set of 30mm tikka rings?  I would prefer rings that attach directly to  the receiver.

Also, stopped by a Bass Pro to put my hands on a vx6-hd.  I was a little disappointed in the feel of the turrets when dialing.  The clicks didn't feel very "positive".  Has anyone else had this experience?
I have 2 of the VX6HD and a VX5HD, the click feel doesn’t effect anything, not as positive feel as say a night force but they track perfectly for me anyway

Offline tgray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Scout
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »

i use light weight Tally’s on my tikkas, been real happy with them

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10