collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind  (Read 6753 times)

Offline milldozer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind
« on: February 23, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
In another month or so I will have my student loans paid off and want to buy a nice rifle setup as a gift to myself.  I will be using it primarily for backpack deer hunts as well as westside elk.  Accuracy/reliability is my most important criteria.  Below is what I've settled on given my budget, personal preference, research, etc.  I am also left-handed, which significantly reduces my options in the rifle department.  Looking for feedback or other recommendations that may change my mind.

Rifle:  7mm Rem Mag Tikka T3x Lite
Scope:  Leupold VX-6HD 2-12x42 Firedot
Bullets:  Noser 160gr Accubond Handloads (Assuming they group)

Thanks!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 02:15:23 PM »
I would consider bumping up to at least 3-18 VX6HD or 3-15 VX5HD.  Lotta $ for a 2-12 power. 
Best bang for buck is vx6 3-18 from optics planet non-hd for about half the hd and you will hardly notice difference.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
What's your max budget you want to spend?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 03:12:54 PM »
Not what I would choose, but can't criticize the choices there.

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »
$2500 total or so.  Maybe up to $3000.

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 03:44:29 PM »
I should say, I like the idea of that 2-12 leupold for its size and weight.  I have also gotten myself in trouble with "too much" magnification, cranking up to higher than I needed in the moment.  I suppose that's just a learning experience though.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »
I recently bought a Vortez Razor HD LH 3-15x42 to put on one of my little CZ 527's.  I'll be the first to admit, I'm far from a fan of Vortex scopes because its been experience you have to get up to their top level scopes before they are, consistently, very good.  But, I've been pleasantly surprised with the optics on the Razor HD LH because they are very good.  I have a non HD VX6 3-18x50 and a Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 that I bought this past fall and this Razor HD LH I just got is easily on par with either of those and actually is noticeably brighter.  It's a 1in. tube scope with side adj. and is relatively light compared to nearly all my other scopes.  So far, the only thing I have to complain about is the turrets are a little more spongy than I'm used to but considering I won't be dialing with this scope, that doesn't really matter.  Again, I'm not really a fan of Vortex scopes but I liked this Razor HD LH 3-15x42 so much I already bought another one.

Last time I looked, Cabelas still had the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 on sale for $599 and I believe the Zeiss HD5's are on sale as well.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 04:29:41 PM »
It'd be hard to beat a new Christensen Ridgeline  In 7 mag topped with a vortex viper gen II. 

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »
 $2500-$3000 is a decent budget.  Especially if you settle on that rifle choice, that leaves alot for scope/mounts.  Once you get into to that $1200-$1800+ in scope price, it opens up more make and model options.   Go take a look through as many scopes at the store as you can in your desired price range.  My preference in that range is Swarovski Z5/Z6 and Zeiss V6. 

Not being left handed I'm no help on the rifle topic.   But just a quick search, yeah there are limited options there.   I like Browning, but their left handed options are limited, especially if you want stainless for west side. 

For bullet, my 7mmRM likes the Nosler 168gr ABLR.   That's all I shoot in it anymore.

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
I am left eye dominant so i used to be set on getting left handed rifles but after realizing when you shoot from any kind of rest it's faster to cycle/shoot and easier to load single rounds with a right handed rifle not to mention re sale is much easier and selection is way better.Also i i carry it on my right shoulder so the bolt handle doesn't dig into my ribs/side either and one other thing i used to be concerned with is quick fallow up shot but when they are really close i would not of had enough time regardless of which side the bolt was on. I guess what i am trying to say in short is if there is something right handed that you really like why pigeon hole yourself to a left handed rifle? Your choice in rifle and scope is just fine as it stands. :tup:

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Gave me some things to think about.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:11:44 PM »
I should say, I like the idea of that 2-12 leupold for its size and weight.  I have also gotten myself in trouble with "too much" magnification, cranking up to higher than I needed in the moment.  I suppose that's just a learning experience though.

I think you're on the right track. I've never had any trouble shooting at MOA sized targets at any range with 10-12x scopes. It's no different than shooting at a 1" dot at 100 yards with the same magnification.

I will poke at your caliber choice though. 7mm Mags are boring!!! :chuckle:

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
I have a Tikka superlite in 7mm with a vx-6 3-18x40 cds. It definitely doesn't have the sexy factor like some other rifles BUT it weighs 7 1/2 scoped with a full mag, shoots 1/2" with the 1st powder/bullet combo I tried and has a pretty decent trigger.  :twocents:

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »
I will chime in and say that I recently put a vx5hd zl2 on a rifle and am very impressed with that scope so I’m sure you will be happy with the 6. Tikkas are proven shooters and the 7mm is a proven killer :twocents:
Go hawks

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
Where's the love for the Mark6 3-18?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal