collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bh209 in an Encore  (Read 3809 times)

Offline mallardaddict

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
Bh209 in an Encore
« on: March 02, 2018, 02:52:03 PM »
I had my heart set on the Knight Ultralight to replace my old t/c black diamond but now that 209’s and sealed breeches are legal I’ve decided to dust off my Encore Pro Hunter.

I’ve had it a few years and never used it as anything except a turkey gun with the 12ga barrel but have found a clean used .50 ML barrel and forend for it cheap so going to try it this year.

With the ability to use a 209 I figured I would start with BH209 for powder.  I’ve ran lots of 777 in the Black diamond but if bh209 truly cleans easier and doesn’t cause the crud ring I am having a hard time not atleast trying it.

I know not many folks here likely have run bh209 but I believe Sabotloader has atleast played with it so I am looking for load/bullet ideas. My initial thought is the barnes 290gr TEZ or the 300gr Knight Bloodlines.

That said I am open to suggestions.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Bh209 in an Encore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 02:53:09 PM »
Technically 209 primers aren't legal yet. Were sealed breeches part of that too?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 03:20:50 PM »
209 primers are not legal in Washington during muzzleloader seasons.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-414-060

(a) Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion using original style percussion caps that fit on the nipple and are exposed to the weather. "Exposed to the weather" means the percussion cap or the frizzen must be visible and not capable of being enclosed by an integral part of the weapon proper. Primers designed to be used in modern cartridges are not legal.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 03:31:48 PM »
Not legal at this moment but will be if the proposal is adopted, which we will know within a few weeks.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 03:37:19 PM »
So....does a 209 primer automatically make the breech sealed to the elements? I see where the old law said the breech couldn't be sealed....now that's all crossed out and it just says the part about the 209 primers being legal.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »
209's don't necessarily have to be in a sealed ignition, but I believe most guns that use 209's are. In the law they're removing that stipulation as well. Makes sense so people can buy just about any muzzleloader, and it will be legal to hunt with.

By the way, the meeting that will adopt the 3 year package is March 15-17 in Wenatchee.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »
Gotcha. That's kind of what I figured I guess.

Offline mallardaddict

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »
I understand that 209’s are not technically allowed yet but calls to 3 people at regional wdfw offices have stated that the hubbub is that this will pass without issue so I am willing to take that chance.  If it doesn’t pass then I am not out much as the barrel I bought was crazy cheap and new in wrapper.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
I would be shocked if it didn't pass. About 99.99% of the time proposals are adopted as written.

Offline floatinghat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 05:21:29 PM »
Same org that lost 500K steelhead smolt on the Cow, returned wolves, don't truely support sportsmen, the list goes on.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »
Same org that lost 500K steelhead smolt on the Cow, returned wolves, don't truely support sportsmen, the list goes on.

Posted in the wrong thread, I assume?   :dunno:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
I would be shocked if it didn't pass. About 99.99% of the time proposals are adopted as written.
Lighted nocks didn't pass the first year they were introduced. I believe that's been true of several proposed changes.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 05:51:30 PM »
Lighted nocks didn't pass the first year they were introduced. I believe that's been true of several proposed changes.

Okay, well it will be interesting to see for sure. Won't affect me as I already purchased my modern firearm tags. I think the lighted nocks issue a little more controversial.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 05:57:21 PM »

Okay, well it will be interesting to see for sure. Won't affect me as I already purchased my modern firearm tags. I think the lighted nocks issue a little more controversial.
Didn't the baiting changes also take a couple years to get approved? :dunno:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »

Lighted knocks were an issue because pope and young did not accept them into the records. The rules changed just after Washington adapted it's rules. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
I’ll hold off a bit to buy my encore muzzy barrel. 

Offline mallardaddict

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 09:58:04 PM »

I jumped because it was $200 in the wrapper with a almost new forend

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »

Personally, I would have bought a new T/C Impact for around $230.  The Encores built for barrel-swappings seem to encounter so many accuracy problems and other problems that need to be addressed, like oversized hinge pins.....etc.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Bh209 in an Encore
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »

Personally, I would have bought a new T/C Impact for around $230.  The Encores built for barrel-swappings seem to encounter so many accuracy problems and other problems that need to be addressed, like oversized hinge pins.....etc.

I have 2 frames and 5 barrels. Zero accuracy issues. The hinge pin thing is a nice upgrade. Takes about 8 minutes and costs less than $20.
3 out of 5 of my barrels shoot sub 1” groups. The other 2 I haven’t shot yet. 1 of those is a 15” pistol barrel in 7-08. I just got my pistol stock set in the mail. The other is a 30-06 That I’ll probably just sell.

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
When will we know if this will be legal. I have a cva accura. That I kept new figured some day 209’s would pass. We will see i guess. Have blackthorn 209 as well and 209 primers stashed away. All though I will have to remove the optic.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline mallardaddict

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 04:27:29 PM »
The Encores built for barrel-swappings seem to encounter so many accuracy problems and other problems that need to be addressed, like oversized hinge pins.....etc.

I have read that as well but mine is typically sub moa with my factory 22-250, 243, 7rm (now sold) and 300 WM barrels.  I have several buddies who’s encores do the same size groups.

I have right about $42 in parts into mine on top of the cost:
-Bellm +1 hinge pin: $20
-Bellm #3 spring kit: $20
- 4 stainless steel washers to float the barrel off the stock: $2

It’s a shame that TC doesn’t take more time fitting a snug hinge pin but they are easy to swap.  The spring kit takes all of about 15 minutes to install, 20 if you polish the seae by hand.

The Impact appears to be a nice platform but for my uses it can’t compete with the encore.
- 4 stainless steel washers to float the barrel.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:11:15 PM by mallardaddict »

Offline mallardaddict

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »
When will we know if this will be legal.

The final hearing for public comment on this and other proposed changes will occur at the 03/15-03/17 meeting in Wenatchee.  If it passes that meeting t will go to the commission for a vote on 04/12 is what I believe I was told.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]