collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wild cattle and feral pit bulls  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Wild cattle and feral pit bulls
« on: March 03, 2018, 09:21:48 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-feral-bulls-20180302-story.html

Feral cattle terrorize hikers and devour native plants in a California national monument

I have a simple solution for the land managers.  Let hunters take them.  :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Wild cattle and feral pit bulls
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 09:24:46 PM »
man, I don't know if I want to face a snarling cow  :yike:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 09:50:06 PM »
The comments are entertaining.  :chuckle:

"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
Cows scare snowflake? Wonder what their reaction will be with the cuddly wolves.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 08:30:41 AM »
Cows scare snowflake? Wonder what their reaction will be with the cuddly wolves.

In reading the comments on that article someone suggested releasing wolves to solve the problem.  :o
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Online Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
Ha! Pretty sure thats the area I hiked back around thanksgiving 2014 when my wife and I went down to Palm Springs to visit her son and his wife, who was stationed at 29 Palms in the Marines.

I thought it weird that there were hoof tracks everywhere and another hiker informed me that the area had "feral" cattle roaming around though I never saw one. I never saw any pitbulls either. :yike:

I thought it odd that they didnt corral (catch)the cattle as they are worth something.

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
Cattle can be scary!

They used to range cattle out at Ft. Lewis when I was a teenager. A few of them seemingly went feral.  I had a couple close encounters in thick brush. One was a large bull/steer- looked like a Charlois with 3 foot horns- bust out of a thicket straight toward me. I was grouse hunting, but I was more likely to pee myself than use my 20 gauge single shot.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 10:29:45 AM »
The really sad part of this problem is it could be solved with $200 in ammo, and a couple of hunters, but they will spend millions debating for years, and still not resolve the problem.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 10:46:24 AM »
Hell just let some archers take care of it.

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
I used to backpack down in the Sierra Juarez (northern Baja California), and if you went into the rugged canyons on the east side of the range, there were a lot of unbranded cattle. They could be pretty aggressive! Seems you could solve the problem in this news story pretty easily, though!

I know a few folks with ranches down in California, and they frequently have to shoot feral dogs. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »
The really sad part of this problem is it could be solved with $200 in ammo, and a couple of hunters, but they will spend millions debating for years, and still not resolve the problem.

Why would they want to do that?  These cattle are turning hearts and minds away from public grazing.

If they really wanted them out, then they's set down some salt blocks near a water source, once the cattle are accustomed to the salt put a corral around it.   It's pretty simple.

I think it's harder to catch pigeons than cattle  :chuckle:

Online Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 11:00:06 AM »

I've come across cattle in the national forest and they scare me. Not at all the tame pasture dwellers I was used to. I give them a real wide berth now they can get real aggressive.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 11:26:39 AM »

Why would they want to do that?  These cattle are turning hearts and minds away from public grazing.

If they really wanted them out, then they's set down some salt blocks near a water source, once the cattle are accustomed to the salt put a corral around it.   It's pretty simple.

If the USFWS was to invent an endangered turtle amongst the cattle, I'm sure the BLM would jump at the chance to gather a herd...

I've come across cattle in the national forest and they scare me. Not at all the tame pasture dwellers I was used to. I give them a real wide berth now they can get real aggressive.

Yep, occasionally you will find a few range cattle that even though they have been worked, can have a tendency to be mean, comparing cow scares to wolf/wolves is whole a different ball game.

I guess for some, cows would be a scary situation, time for some little brass bells?

Surprise the USFWS haven't released wolves there yet, maybe it isn't ideal wolf habitat unless the cows belong to a rancher.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »

Good point.

That would cost substantially more than the $200 in ammo, lol
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 11:57:52 AM »

Good point.

That would cost substantially more than the $200 in ammo, lol

how so?  Haul them to the sale yard.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal