collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Halibut gear  (Read 2548 times)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Halibut gear
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »
I need to get my own halibut gear..i've only borrowed so never paid SUPER close attention.
Lot's of info out on the web, but wanted to know what you guys use for decent set ups (rod/reel/line) that doesnt break the bank.
I've used penn senator reels and liked them.
Rollers tips on the rods or no?
Thanks  :tup:

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
Re: Halibut gear
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:48:48 AM »
114 senator spooled with 80lb tuffline and rollertip for sure for me
spreaders and lead big herring or octo or both
good start
get a belt too
it helps
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Online James

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:59:49 AM »
I like 40-65’lb dark green Diawa J braid, but there are other good brands like power pro and such. I don’t like using over 65lb braid, it starts getting really hard to break off when you snag.  When I say hard, you can basically anchor the boat with it.

If you have money to burn and fish deep with big weights, a Diawa Tancom 750 electric reel is nice. I run the older Penn 330GT’s for my non electric reels, they were cheap but have been solid.  I might spend a little more money this time if I had to replace them.

Lamiglas makes a nice hali rod rod, but ugly sticks are a good bang for the buck.
You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
thanks for the advice  :tup:

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:15:27 AM »
Rollers are not needed but I like them if they are in the price range.  Ugly sticks are nice, Cabelas had a nice rod in the $89 range, can't remember the brand or model but it was 5'6" and had a triangular grip that felt nice.  I get as short of a rod as possible.

I usually run a slider for weight to a swivel and maybe 18" of leader to double 10/0 J hooks with a big hootchie and bait.  I think John's Sporting Goods has some videos.

Halibut isn't rocket science, most things work and they are either there or not there from my experience.

Offline Hilltophustler

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Hunter
  • Co-founder of Team Dogleg
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 08:18:12 AM »
Where will you be fishing? In the sound or off the coast? My gear will vary depending on where I am fishing

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 08:22:24 AM »
Where will you be fishing? In the sound or off the coast? My gear will vary depending on where I am fishing
a little of both, which, i know makes it harder.  off the coast wont be FAR off the coast, and it will be weather dependent. 
i've halibut fished before so I'm pretty up to speed on rigging things up, ive just never really paid attention to specifics on the rod/reel combo.

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 08:23:49 AM »
I usually run a slider for weight to a swivel and maybe 18" of leader to double 10/0 J hooks with a big hootchie and bait.  I think John's Sporting Goods has some videos.

Halibut isn't rocket science, most things work and they are either there or not there from my experience.
I love his videos  :tup:  yeah that's usually my problem, finding where they are  :chuckle:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 10:01:28 AM »
No need for roller tips. Penn, Okuma and lamiglass make good rods in the 5'6 to 6'6 range for a good price. Penn Senator reels are bullet proof, 113/114. I have a couple on my boat if I get tired of running the switch on my electrics. Always have had great luck with Power pro braid 60-80lb range. I don't mind 80lb, if I snag that bad I can break it off looping it around a cleat. I drug in a 180lb skate on 80lb that probably would of broke 65lb. You can get a good hali set up for under $250 including line.

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:30:35 PM »
Yes!!! This!!!
If you are fishing offshore in 600-1200 FOW save your pennies and get a Daiwa Tanacum 750.
As for rods, there really isn't a need to go super heavy or expensive. Personality I avoid roller tips for braid as the braid can jump the roller and get caught in the Gap and break off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 01:36:05 PM »
Yes!!! This!!!
If you are fishing offshore in 600-1200 FOW save your pennies and get a Daiwa Tanacum 750.
As for rods, there really isn't a need to go super heavy or expensive. Personality I avoid roller tips for braid as the braid can jump the roller and get caught in the Gap and break off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Went out several times last year offshore, I think the shallowest we fished was 400' and deepest 900'.  Hammered the butts and lings but I can assure you no way I could have done it without the electric reels.  I'm old but even my friends on the boat who are young were pooped at the end of the day and they used the electrics also.  Worth the money!!

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 01:52:53 PM »
Roller tips a must.  And go electric on the reel.  I know they're expensive, but worth every penny.  We have fished as deep as 800+ feet and trust me, bringing up a big fish from even 500' will wax your butt without an electric reel.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »

I love his videos  :tup:  yeah that's usually my problem, finding where they are  :chuckle:

They are on the bottom.  Right next to the school of dogfish.

Offline Hilltophustler

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Hunter
  • Co-founder of Team Dogleg
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 03:33:05 PM »
I run a drop rig..weight at the bottom and 12/0 big rivers with 250# mono. I run a white grub on top and some sort of fish parts on the bottom. Lings really like the grubs. Did really well with tuna bellies last year as well. My rods do not have roller tips but I do run electric reels. Having reeled in a butt from 1100ft with just a normal reel, not fun. Went to the electrics and never looked back. This is my offshore set up. Spreader bar and a stout rod for inside the sound

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]