collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wasting time ??  (Read 2033 times)

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Wasting time ??
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »
The more I read about Spring turkey hunting in Washington the more I hear about North East corner. I have been wanting to go spring turkey hunting but can not go all the way to the North East corner of the state . I have been researching public land in the 335, 340, 336 areas. Sounds like more of the birds are on private land? P.S I have never hunted turkeys. The harvest limits are low in these areas but its way closer to home and more time to scout. Am I wasting my time?? Thanks Jason 

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: Wasting time ??
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »
Never a waste of time,They are out there in large numbers too.just have to find them.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline HHPro

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »
If your judging your hunt by harvesting a bird then maybe but anytime in the wood's is worth the time.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »
Having never hunted turkeys before I think I would put myself in a target rich environment first and get the hang of it before trying to hunt in a lower density turkey area.  Just my  :twocents:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:12:03 PM »
I'm a new turk hunter and might end up doing both.  Head to the NE for best chances for a weekend and then hunt closer to home to see if I can get something figured out closer to home.  I'm treating it as a workout, hike in the hills with a gun and anything that happens is a bonus.  Then again, that could describe most of my hunting I guess.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Wasting time ??
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:07:59 PM »
Well I will say this. If you have never hunted turkeys before and are going to hunt Central Wa, you will get discouraged quickly. The population in the central part of the state is a lot lower than the NE corner. Birds are there tho, in pockets.
We have been hunting one area in the Central part of the state off and on for bout 15yrs now and it took us 5 straight days to locate them last season.
It’s very doable but you need to get in the hills as soon as the snow is gone and start scouting. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 04:51:48 AM »
I have been hunting pretty much in the NE corner but I have put in days in the east cascades.  I can tell you there are birds in there on public land.  I also think that you are seeing a low harvest because it isnt heavily hunted li ke the NE corner.  I am in training in Vancouver all week but I will shoot you a pm.  If you or anyone is around Black Diamond on April 7th, I know that is youth opener, I am doing a turkey hunting clinic at the Black Diamond Gun Club 4pm.  You will be able to pattern your shotgun.  Learn some calling, decoy setups, blinds should be a fun time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 06:33:34 AM »
Lets just hope we get some snow melt
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 06:51:12 AM »
I know anytime in the woods is always awesome and a learning experience. I should of worded that differently. That class sounds good!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal