collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter education required to submit permit applications?  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Hunter education required to submit permit applications?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 01:33:50 PM »
This is a sad rule change. The youth are the future ambassadors of the outdoors and this just might be the lynchpin that holds their interest and involvement.
I personally don't feel it's that doom and gloom.  Realistically even starting them at birth with points will have no measurable effect on their chances at moose, sheep, goat.  As bobcat stated, with only 1 youth moose permit available in the youth category, they don't even have a realistic chance at that tag.  If anything it will force points out of the youth system which isn't a terrible thing.  You already had to have hunter ed and tags to apply for youth deer and elk anyways so change is minimal.  I have an 8 and 6 year old who have max points for their age fyi
They cannot apply in youth.  Just m/s/g, you are absolutely right as to a measurable difference however its a tool of inclusion. Any hook you can set into youth is a huge benefit. The nonresident component is bothersome, but not to a point where I would concede the inclusion of kids. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
they can't apply in youth categories but they can absolutely accrue points in youth moose and sheep.  I do agree hook em young but if a person is relying on impossible odds to do so then they are failing as a mentor of the outdoor lifestyle.  My kids have no clue they have points for youth moose and sheep but what they do know is catching 50 blue gills in an afternoon is fun.  They know shooting the spinner target with the .22 is a kick.  They know hiking and exploring with dad is the most fun you can possibly have and they know deer steak is really good.  Loving to hunt is only a natural progression from there. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:48:13 PM by Karl Blanchard »
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
This is a sad rule change. The youth are the future ambassadors of the outdoors and this just might be the lynchpin that holds their interest and involvement.
I personally don't feel it's that doom and gloom.  Realistically even starting them at birth with points will have no measurable effect on their chances at moose, sheep, goat.  As bobcat stated, with only 1 youth moose permit available in the youth category, they don't even have a realistic chance at that tag.  If anything it will force points out of the youth system which isn't a terrible thing.  You already had to have hunter ed and tags to apply for youth deer and elk anyways so change is minimal.  I have an 8 and 6 year old who have max points for their age fyi
They cannot apply in youth.  Just m/s/g, you are absolutely right as to a measurable difference however its a tool of inclusion. Any hook you can set into youth is a huge benefit. The nonresident component is bothersome, but not to a point where I would concede the inclusion of kids.
they can't apply in youth categories but they can absolutely accrue points in youth moose and sheep.  I do agree hook em young but if you are relying on impossible odds to do so you are failing as a mentor of the outdoor lifestyle.  My kids have no clue they have points for youth moose and sheep but what they do know is catching 50 blue gills in an afternoon is fun.  They know shooting the spinner target with the .22 is a kick.  They know hiking and exploring with dad is the most fun you can possibly have and they know deer steak is really good.  Loving to hunt is only a natural progression from there.
I never said I was relying on this, it is a tool of inclusion and hope. Today's youth have many distractions and to be frank, many people with the correct "mentoring" do not follow their passion into the professional world, it is underappreciated and pays less than other fields that are much easier to master.   Thanks for calling me a failure as a mentor, very mature. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:04:08 PM by Tbar »

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
I used the word "you" as in you the general public, not you as an individual person.  Rereading it I could have worded that differently so I apologize.  I've edited my post accordingly :hello:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:49:22 PM by Karl Blanchard »
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 03:58:00 PM »
I don't know if the rule passed or not but they have allowed points purchasing without a license or hunters ED for the past 2 months so I cant see them able to implement this rule this year.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 04:03:21 PM by X-Force »
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
I don't know if the rule passed or not but they have allowed points purchasing without a license or hunters ED for the past 2 months so I cant see them able to implement this rule this year.
yep already got my kids theirs

Offline CarbonHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »
I just tried buying my son his and they are no longer available. Looks like the new rule passed. He still has his 3 points though.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »
You should still be able to buy your kids the points option though correct? It would make sense that they wouldn't want kids applying for a special permit unless they had their hunters safety complete. Unless I'm missing something??  :dunno:

No, hunters safety is required now.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline curtdiesel

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/2eaglesranch/
    • 2 Eagles Ranch
  • Groups: NRA, DU, CCA
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2018, 02:49:19 PM »
I am glad I was able to get in and get a few points for my kids while they were available.  I have this forum to thank for that.  I too play within the rules that we have.  I feel that the kids should probably be older before they can start getting points.  That said there are a lot of kids that get their hunter Ed sooner than they probably should and this will probably increase that.

Curt

Offline B4noon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 03:24:17 PM »
It probably won't be the determing factor In whether most youth end up hunting or not I believe that comes from the influence of how they are raised and making the opportunities as quality and fun as you can make them for youth hunters.  However I l got in early all 3 kids got a moose and 1 a sheep not to mention the numerous deer and elk they have had the opportunity to harvest and they all knew how many points they had couldn't understand why they could only buy 1 point a year and not more and they live for hunting season.  Does a kid need to kill a cow moose to become a Hunter no but I can say from a dad's perspective to be able to buy points for them at an early age allowed me the opportunity to go on some real special hunts with them at an age they weren't tied up with high school sports jobs and college priceless it's sad to take away any opportunity for youth no matter how bad the odds and i hope everyone sets aside the time to take there kid to the outdoors  after being on 3 successful cow moose hunts and not being the trigger man on any of them I would jump at the chance to hunt myself but knowing the opportunity it could create for someone else to experience with their kids I would give it up and not bat an eye if they gave more permits to youth in all categories including the OIL good luck in the draws I'm banking on my kids again since they all have more points then me but they still let me pack meat

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
I don't think it really matters for OIL, 99% won't draw in their lifetime by the time my kids are old enough to actually hunt it.

That said, I would gladly give up any regular tags to increase youth tag opportunities.  There are a few really good youth hunts, but I would love to see it even better.  My best hunts are when I am head guide, cook and packer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]