collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Daughter wants a jeep under $10k. Bad idea??  (Read 7313 times)

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Daughter wants a jeep under $10k. Bad idea??
« on: March 07, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »
My ex wants to buy my daughter a jeep and she has always wanted one.  I'm not too sure about what we would get for what she can spend..  $10k would be on the high end and does not buy much..  For those more mechanically inclined than me and know jeeps, what is your opinion??  15yr old jeeep with 135k+ miles seems like a bad idea??  Maybe it's not?

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Daughter wants a jeep under $10k. Bad idea??
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
15yr old jeeep with 135k+ miles seems like a bad idea?? 

Yes. And it's twice as bad of an idea if it's anything but a wrangler.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »
Yes, and with respect, I'll tell you why. Also,  I have a daughter as well. Pretty girls in Jeeps draw the guys like a neon beer sign in the middle of a desert. Get her a nice drab volvo and refuse to allow her to date.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:04:28 AM »
Lol!
My daughter got a Jeep Liberty.  She loves it.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »
Yes, and with respect, I'll tell you why. Also,  I have a daughter as well. Pretty girls in Jeeps draw the guys like a neon beer sign in the middle of a desert. Get her a nice drab volvo and refuse to allow her to date.

:chuckle:

Price seems on the high side for a Wrangler, unless there is a lot of custom work, which screams trail-abused.  I'd err on the side of stock, ensure the maintenance is up to date, and prepare to repair, as I don't get the notion that the powertrain is known for longevity.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 10:10:08 AM »
I don't think it's a bad idea at all.
I'd only buy a Wrangler or a Cherokee and only with a 4.0 inline 6 cyl. Don't buy a money pit Grand Cherokee and don't buy anything 4 cylinder.
Liberty was also a decent vehicle. Just don't buy a Grand Cherokee or a 4 cylinder Wrangler.
With that said, I drive a 2006 Grand Cherokee every day. It's just a v6 and it's got 165k miles on it. Bought it for my wife with 10k miles on it in 2007. It's been a great car. I've just seen the opposite side of that spectrum and wouldn't recommend rolling the dice. I think the 3.7 is a more reliable and more trouble free engine than the 4.7 v8 or the Hemi.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
Check the thing out and it might be about right.  Were there some modifications?  As for the mileage, Jeeps seem to wear piston and valve seals a little faster than other makes.  If you're in an emissions area, that could be a pain to address.  If it is a wrangler, there are three basic categories sport/sahara/rubicon.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 10:17:57 AM »
With my Jeeps, they all have had solid drive trains. I had one with a 2.5 the others were all 4.0 HOs.
It is everything else on it that will kill your pocket book, LOL

Rear mains seals, cooling systems, Vacuum system causing Oil blow-by issues. Wiper motor linkages, Plastic tops being sliced, etc...

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline netcoyote

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
Who's going to work on it? A $10k Jeep, 135k miles, 15 yo is gonna need some work, mostly sooner rather than later. Unless your daughter is mechanically inclined, I would say this is not a good idea.
BTW, I'm a Jeep owner...
"...t'aint never a thing wrong with a man such that the mountains can't cure."

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 10:54:07 AM »
First question, How much experience does she have behind the wheel??    4x4 and short wheel base rigs can be a little tricky!!

I have a 92 Wrangler,  great rig,  paid $6000 for it with 115,000 miles on it 8 years ago.   Best purchase of a gas rig I've ever made.

Next question is WHAT jeep rig is she looking for?   

There is a new demand for the Cherokee models around here at least(price going up on the old good ones).  And like all rigs they have certain "maintenance" issues.

4 cylinder engines get a little better mpg but the inline 6 has more power. 

135,000 on a 15 year old jeep will depend on WHO and HOW it was driven!   My jeep I found in Portland, second owner had it only a year, first owner never used the four wheel drive or off road!  Of course though I had been looking for almost 2 years! :yike: before I found it.
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
With my Jeeps, they all have had solid drive trains. I had one with a 2.5 the others were all 4.0 HOs.
It is everything else on it that will kill your pocket book, LOL

Rear mains seals, cooling systems, Vacuum system causing Oil blow-by issues. Wiper motor linkages, Plastic tops being sliced, etc...

My daughter just started looking.  Jeeps of all varieties are on the Dad Veto List for the above reason as well as the one mentioned by h2ohunter.

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »
My daughters on her 2nd jeep. Her 1st one was a lifted 04 wrangler that a guy pulled out onto a one way going the wrong way and totaled it,all she got was airbag rash on the side of her face. It was replaced with a 2014 a few days later.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »

:yeah: my stepdaughter wanted a jeep and because of the above statement I declined and got her a truck. Which wasn't all that difference in comparison to the above statement. :bdid: 

There's something about a pretty female driving a 4wd vehicle that's alluring, much like a fly to neon fly zapper, mesmerizing.  :chuckle:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 12:57:35 PM »
Yup! During summer time, girls in topless jeeps, doors off, wearing bikini tops and daisy dukes and a ball cap to control the hair--- :tung: Sorry to the father for the mental image.

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 01:58:52 PM »
I own a 92 and  love it. Only thing I would add is be patient looking as they, like Toyotas hold their value well. For that kind of money you could get a much newer and better vehicle with a lot less miles.
Personally I will not buy anything w over 100,000 miles, unless owned by a friend with a discounted price.

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »
In fairness to Jeep, I wouldn't buy a 15 year old anything for 10k. There is nothing to stop a vehicle that old from grenading the day after you buy it and 10k is a lot of money to eat. If it were me, I'd either spend more and get some peace of mind that it will probably last for a while, or go super cheap and just replace it when it goes.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »
I don't think the year is as important as the mileage.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 02:52:51 PM »
Year is important due to finding parts.  They went through a few models that were only around a couple years that seem to require very specific parts.  I think 2002-2004 for example, whereas on some things like a chevy 350 you can get parts spanning almost 20 years for a configuration.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2018, 02:59:39 PM »
A TJ with that mileage is low....especially if it is the manual transmission with inline 6. 

With that being said.....a jeep for a first car scares the living bagggeeeebers out of me.  I have seen jeeps (wrangler specific) in accidents and they are do not hold up well.  A first time driver should be in an automobile that has good crash ratings.....just my 2 cents.  I own a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 130,000 miles and it starts and runs very well.  I would not and will not give it to my children for a daily commuter if they spend much time on highways.  In town or in the hills they work great. 

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
H20 that's funny as hell 😂 I have daughters as well
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 03:10:24 PM »
Mine is turning 9 and I'm already dead set against a Jeep!

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »
I agree with Mag_j.  When I had to replace my 99 Grand Cherokee, I scoured Craigslist and was needing another SUV.  I just missed on a couple of Grand Cherokee Overlands with 60,000 to 70,000 miles in perfect condition for under 10K.  I think they were 06 and 07.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 03:35:22 PM »
Until we know what model the kid wants, we have no way of knowing what the actual heck we're even talking about.

Early 90's inline 6 Jeeps had major giant PITA fuel system issues. Can't recall if it was a 4.0 or a 4.2? with these issues.

Wrangler/Cherokee/GRand Cherokee:
4.0L rear main seals leak. A lot.
4.0L exhaust manifolds crack. A lot.

93-04 Grand Cherokee differential bearings fail. A lot.
99-04 grand Cherokee with the dual zone climate control had heater box issues a lot. It causes no heat or no a/c or no air flow on one side or the other.
4.7 h.o.(engine code 1 I think on the VIN) cylinder heads crack. If I remember correctly it sets a #1 cylinder misfire.
99-04 grand Cherokee's warp front brake rotors like they're going out of style.

The 2007 and newer Wrangler had major, mostly unrepairable water leaks with the hard tops. The soft tops sealed better.

I left Jeep for the most part in the late 2000's so not too familiar on whatever issues the newer style Grand Cherokees have.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

I'd look real hard for a 2001 Cherokee with as low a miles as possible. That could be a pretty good vehicle.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 03:49:09 PM »
99-04 grand Cherokee with the dual zone climate control had heater box issues a lot. It causes no heat or no a/c or no air flow on one side or the other.
99-04 grand Cherokee's warp front brake rotors like they're going out of style.

I'd look real hard for a 2001 Cherokee with as low a miles as possible. That could be a pretty good vehicle.

The dual zone crap drove me crazy, but there are some work-arounds until the heater core finally fails.  The blower fan has a part that burns out and needs to get resoldered.  Easy fix.  The blower doors were too heavy and would not function.  You could cut them out and replace with a lighter one.  Huge pain in the butt, but cost $20 in materials rather than a $2,000 repair.  Those fixes lasted me 5 years until the heater core leaked when the vehicle was 16 years old and around 160,000 miles.  The warped rotor issue with the brakes was taken care of by warranty.  I didn't have problems after that, but would defer to Josh's knowledge.  I had started to have a variety of small issues on mine.  Power window motors, heated seats getting too hot, electrical problems.  I also was told the 4.7 is known for warped rings.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 03:52:23 PM »
Buy her a stock Toyota or Honda, there are lots of models, she will be glad when she is still driving and the jeeps are dead.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 04:00:03 PM »
A TJ with that mileage is low....especially if it is the manual transmission with inline 6. 

With that being said.....a jeep for a first car scares the living bagggeeeebers out of me.  I have seen jeeps (wrangler specific) in accidents and they are do not hold up well.  A first time driver should be in an automobile that has good crash ratings.....just my 2 cents.  I own a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with 130,000 miles and it starts and runs very well.  I would not and will not give it to my children for a daily commuter if they spend much time on highways.  In town or in the hills they work great.

Here's my daughters 04 TJ that a older guy in a 3/4t dodge pulled the wrong way on a one way,she was doing about 30-35,it held up well,other than being totaled.

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »
Another pic

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 04:05:26 PM »
Heck if your spending 10k Ill sell the wifes 04 Toyo 4Runner Limited.  ;)

Offline papisjeep

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
i would not put a inexperienced driver in a short wheelbase jeep, that being said ive seen lots of jeeps at 250k so they can last a while but a jeep is a jeep and that means get used to turning a wrench occasionally 

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2018, 04:50:43 PM »
4Runner or Tacoma all the way

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »
Thanks everyone, I got plenty to chew on..  I didn't clarify, she wants a wrangler.  There is not any one particular in mind, that was just he price/millage that seemed most common.  I'm leaning heavily in the no department, but I'm every other weekend dad so don't hold the trump card.

For those talking about 4runners for sale, I'm all ears!!

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »
Have her find a 96 Wrangler. If she can, buy it.
This task will help your lean towards the no.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline L8NITE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »
Bad idea if you have to pay the insurance lol...before you buy a jeep check on your rates!!! Some ins companies will really gouge for young adults in 4x4's especially jeeps!!!
"The Hunts not over!"

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 11:23:01 AM »
For longevity/reliability a 4 runner would probably be a better bet, and might serve her better and longer with the cargo space, extra doors.

You'll pay a premium for that over a similar age/mileage Wrangler, I would guess (been some time since I looked at them).  And you would still want to have the major maintenance looked over and done, as with any used vehicle.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 11:56:16 AM »
Talk her out of it!! Not worth the price or future costs she would occur. Get her a Uber subscription
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 12:02:02 PM by Skyvalhunter »
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »

Wow...

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 12:07:48 PM »
6 or 7 years ago, I bought a 2001 GC Laredo for $7500. Within 2 years, I'd put an additional $9K into it, including a rebuilt engine. Steer her towards Toyota. Spend the extra money up front and save the maintenance costs after.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
JEEP's suck... and the short wheelbase makes them dangerous on ice for young inexperienced drivers. Spin right around like a top.

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »

Wow...

I can't figure out your wow?
Agreement? Sarcasm? Get what I was getting at?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »

Wow...

The challenge you set forth finding a 96 Wrangler.
(There's no such thing)

I'd definitely buy it if you can find one.

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2018, 12:29:22 PM »

Wow...

The challenge you set forth finding a 96 Wrangler.
(There's no such thing)

:chuckle:
It's the perfect solution for him if he doesn't want to be the big bad mean dad by saying "no".

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »
Legit point.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 01:36:56 AM »

Here's my daughters 04 TJ that a older guy in a 3/4t dodge pulled the wrong way on a one way,she was doing about 30-35,it held up well,other than being totaled.

:'(

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 01:38:39 AM »
I agree - Too much of an attention getter for a youngun.

Offline Turdle

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 11:15:42 PM »
"Jeep"
Just
empty
every
pocket
With that out of the way, I have owned several. Still love em. Jeep cheroke 4.0 inline, select tract. Not really afraid og the grands either, long as its 4.0
 Lots of parts available..

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 06:35:17 AM »
In your price range you should be able to buy a nice TJ Wrangler.  4.0L with a manual trans if she can drive a manual.  I have a 91 YJ.  Just remember with Wranglers if they are stock it'll last forever as soon as you start putting mods on things break.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 07:03:41 AM »
With that kind of money you could just about buy a brand new Kia. All kinds of of insurance savings right there with a new driver, plus there good on mpg. I know a gas mileage is never even on the list of considerations when a kid decides what they want for a vehicle, but after she buys a couple tank fulls she'll appreciate it.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 08:43:37 AM »
Except nobody says hey you know whats fun riding in a 4runner or KIA.  What is fun is owning and driving a Jeep Wrangler.   I have had mine since I was 15 now 28.  Never had problems in ice or snow, never felt like it was gonna tip over, and I've taken that thing places almost no other street legal car could go.  Also if she is a terrible parker the short wheel base makes it easy to park and get in and out of tight spots.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2018, 12:24:23 AM »
Except nobody says hey you know whats fun riding in a 4runner or KIA.  What is fun is owning and driving a Jeep Wrangler.   I have had mine since I was 15 now 28.  Never had problems in ice or snow, never felt like it was gonna tip over, and I've taken that thing places almost no other street legal car could go.  Also if she is a terrible parker the short wheel base makes it easy to park and get in and out of tight spots.

:yeah: Good points although I don't know if I'd want my daughter having TOO much fun on the road at 16!  :chuckle:  :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal