collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good places to buy horses?  (Read 21201 times)

Offline Tjkride

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
Good places to buy horses?
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:55:13 AM »
Im guna be looking for a new horse next month and was just seeing where every one likes to buy from. I'm mostly looking for Quarter horses, but have been looking at Friesian crosses lately after working with them  for the last couple years. Anything over 16 hands and under 8 years old really.
Practical accuracy and a packable rifle.
Blued steel and walnut is always better.

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Good places to buy horses?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:25:13 PM »
I'd talk to your ferrier or any trainers in the area. I've tried craigslist and had decent luck but it's hit and miss.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 12:47:26 PM »
What do you want the horse for? Know that might help determine the answer to your question. A big part of getting a good horse is getting a horse that has been used and not just a feel good pasture ornament.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 12:48:05 PM »
Sizzler?

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »
Friesian anything over 16 hands, probably check with the dressage horse clubs around Seattle, Portland, San Francisco.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 01:24:37 PM »
For a trail/hunting animal I'd check around and see if there's any outfitters looking to sell one of their dude horses. Better to spend a few grand for an animal with miles of mountains trails behind it than a papered and pampered arena pony, if you're spending time in vertical country.

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:30:36 PM »
Over 16 hands thats a real big qtr horse. Not saying there not out there just a bit harder to find. If your looking for a mtn horse in my opinion I would look for a cross with Draft, QTR and Yes Thoroughbred. Those Big Bone Long Legged son of a guns can cover ground and hold up in the deeper snow.  Let me know just want you want and how much you want to spend. Im sure I can find it for ya.
KD

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
I'm trying to figure out why over 16 hands? There are some disadvantages to big/tall horses too!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Luna butte

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 02:44:15 PM »
For a trail/hunting animal I'd check around and see if there's any outfitters looking to sell one of their dude horses. Better to spend a few grand for an animal with miles of mountains trails behind it than a papered and pampered arena pony, if you're spending time in vertical country.

In my opinion, this is not a great idea especially if shopping craigslist. If you were an outfitter, would you sell a good animal? I wouldn't

If it were me, I'd find a rancher with a sizable herd of mother cows, say <200 head who pastures them in country too steep for quad gathering. Horses from them places have jobs and get tons of exposure to all kinds of situations from ropes to bogs to being loaded into overcrowded stocktrailers, you name it. Most of these horses are solid as can be, though as always "buyer beware"

For what it's worth, I make my money shoeing horses full time for the last 15yrs, part time for the 10yrs prior to that with the bulk of them years gathering cattle as a paid cowboy on various ranches in Wa & Or.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
Just depends what the horse is needed for? Saying they want to buy a horse is like saying they want to buy an automobile, depending on what the horse will be used for will dictate the best type to get and where might be the bast place to purchase the horse!  :dunno:

Horses are actually used a lot more in some areas than in other areas and where the horse has lived can dictate what they will be good for. Example: If you want a mountain horse you want to buy a horse that's been in the mountains and not a horse that's just spent it's life on flat easy ground and never been in downfall. Some horses are afraid when you take them in steep country on narrow trails, some horses are afraid of crossing mountain streams, some afraid of getting above timberline, lots of horses have never been in a horse trailer!

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »

In my opinion, this is not a great idea especially if shopping craigslist. If you were an outfitter, would you sell a good animal? I wouldn't

If it were me, I'd find a rancher with a sizable herd of mother cows, say <200 head who pastures them in country too steep for quad gathering. Horses from them places have jobs and get tons of exposure to all kinds of situations from ropes to bogs to being loaded into overcrowded stocktrailers, you name it. Most of these horses are solid as can be, though as always "buyer beware"

For what it's worth, I make my money shoeing horses full time for the last 15yrs, part time for the 10yrs prior to that with the bulk of them years gathering cattle as a paid cowboy on various ranches in Wa & Or.
I've never known an outfitter to turn down the rite price unless it's for his personal ride. If you were running an operation and you were heavier on the riding stock side and needed more pack stock would you sell 1 decent riding mount to fund  4-5 pack animals? I Might.

Like others have said 16hh is pretty tall. That stirrup is a long ways off the ground and there's exponentially more low hanging branches when you're out riding. The only benefit I've found to riding an animal like that is that there's fewer obstructions in the trail requiring a hop to get over. 

Offline Tjkride

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »
More info would have beeen smarter on my part. All my horses are all around use animals. I used to show but got bored with it after 10 years. As to 16+ hands, I just prefer tall horses. I did my time on short reiners and cattle horses, but my horse that I had when I was 2 years old until I was 21 was a 16 hand quarter horse mare that I can never replace but can try. Now adays I just cover alot of miles of trail, move my cows, and ride fence.

Offline Tjkride

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »
Im newish to WA and just wasnt sure if there were any good, not on the internet places to look and buy.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 03:40:30 PM »
Personally I wouldn't buy a horse, I'd look for a solid mule.  :)  :)  But then again I'm partial to a good saddle mule.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
Personally I wouldn't buy a horse, I'd look for a solid mule.  :)  :)  But then again I'm partial to a good saddle mule.
:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU