collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ketchikan to WA via Inside Passage  (Read 16751 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Ketchikan to WA via Inside Passage
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:02:52 PM »
Just throwing this out there -

My buddy that has been planning on running my boat south with me just let me know he can't get the time off of work.  So, I'll either be running it south by myself, or taking on a victim er, passenger so I can run straight through.  Nice to have somebody on so I can take a nap and not have to anchor up.

The deal is:

Basically a nearly-free cruise through the Inside Passage of British Columbia on a 47' steel commercial troller.  Just get yourself to Ketchikan and chip in for your half of the food. Planning on leaving Ketchikan early AM on the 18th, ideally arriving Anacortes evening of March 22nd.  It's about a 110 hour run.  We'll push straight through, but if the WX is really bad we may get held up to wait for a chance to get around Cape Caution.  Delay could be from a few hours to a few days.  The entire trip will basically be out of cell coverage, so bring your movies and books with you.

Preferred candidate is someone I have "known" through the site for a while and has some ocean experience.  OR, someone who might want to work on the boat for this summer's salmon/tuna season.  This would be a good way for me to see if I think you'd make it, and for you to see if this kind of thing suits you.  In either case, it would have to be a person who won't be denied entry into Canada if we needed to land for whatever reason.  Ability to cook gets bonus points, as does willingness to do the odd chore on the boat while we're under way.  Deploying/retrieving stabilizers, dishes, etc.  You won't be a slave, but it's good to know I'll get a hand when I need one.

Going through the Inside Passage is easy, but requires a pair of eyes out front to keep the logs off of my paint.  There are some open-ocean transits that we'll have the standard winter swell to deal with, and it could get a little tall at times.  Safety is paramount, and I won't take unnecessary risks to meet a desire return date. 

If you're interested, please PM me.  I've got this offer out to a few friends and family, so if one of them can go I'll take them.  But looking to firm this up sooner than later, and if there's a serious HuntWa'er out there that I think I could hang with and wants to do it I'll take them.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Ketchikan to WA via Inside Passage
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
This would be a blast, but I have to work.  :llam:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 04:10:55 PM »
Ah, you were on my short list Boss.  I know you got ocean chops...
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »
Ah, you were on my short list Boss.  I know you got ocean chops...

My longest st sea period was 108 days straight in the Indian Ocean summer time, It was like hell had found the ship it was so hot, and humid. 👹

I hear the Persian Gulf is worse though.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
Man i would die to do that!

Before my uncle passed away we had discussed doing a turn and burn in his 26' Nordic tug that he totally refurbished.  It had more than enough range to reach Ketchican without refueling. Sadly I never made it happen.

How long with the vessel be in Anacortes?
We should do a meet, drink and cigar HE get together!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
I'll probably be in Anacortes for a few days, playing it pretty loose for the first week I'm home. 

A HuntWa get together in Anacortes would be fun -  :tup:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 05:40:43 PM »
Spot has been filled, will be homeward bound in 10 days, and hoping Poseidon is in good humor.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 06:32:06 PM »
Just throwing this out there -

My buddy that has been planning on running my boat south with me just let me know he can't get the time off of work.  So, I'll either be running it south by myself, or taking on a victim er, passenger so I can run straight through.  Nice to have somebody on so I can take a nap and not have to anchor up.

The deal is:

Basically a nearly-free cruise through the Inside Passage of British Columbia on a 47' steel commercial troller.  Just get yourself to Ketchikan and chip in for your half of the food. Planning on leaving Ketchikan early AM on the 18th, ideally arriving Anacortes evening of March 22nd.  It's about a 110 hour run.  We'll push straight through, but if the WX is really bad we may get held up to wait for a chance to get around Cape Caution.  Delay could be from a few hours to a few days.  The entire trip will basically be out of cell coverage, so bring your movies and books with you.

Preferred candidate is someone I have "known" through the site for a while and has some ocean experience.  OR, someone who might want to work on the boat for this summer's salmon/tuna season.  This would be a good way for me to see if I think you'd make it, and for you to see if this kind of thing suits you.  In either case, it would have to be a person who won't be denied entry into Canada if we needed to land for whatever reason.  Ability to cook gets bonus points, as does willingness to do the odd chore on the boat while we're under way.  Deploying/retrieving stabilizers, dishes, etc.  You won't be a slave, but it's good to know I'll get a hand when I need one.

Going through the Inside Passage is easy, but requires a pair of eyes out front to keep the logs off of my paint.  There are some open-ocean transits that we'll have the standard winter swell to deal with, and it could get a little tall at times.  Safety is paramount, and I won't take unnecessary risks to meet a desire return date. 

If you're interested, please PM me.  I've got this offer out to a few friends and family, so if one of them can go I'll take them.  But looking to firm this up sooner than later, and if there's a serious HuntWa'er out there that I think I could hang with and wants to do it I'll take them.

I'm not seeing much for the Maiden head to stand on.  :yike:

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 06:46:07 PM »
What a incredible opportunity to see the inside passage.  I’m not surprised it was filled so quickly.  Be safe and enjoy...I’m am so damn jealous!
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 06:59:01 PM »
Did the Inside Passage for 10 years working on tugs between Seattle and all over Alaska. Watch for mountain goats around the Buttedale Area on the N side way up high. Watch for drunk natives in Llama Pass. We t-boned a native gillnetter one night right in front of Bella Bella. They tried to cut in front of us a bit too close and didn't quite make it. Canadian CG showed up and sent us on our way and dealt with the natives. :chuckle: Have a safe trip.

Offline BUTTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 06:59:11 PM »
Maybe ill pass ya

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »
Don't tell me Ridgeratt is your mate on this trip? Haha.
If i was retired and could have an awesome anti emetic, i'd be all over that trip. Good luck. Sounds like a fun run!!!!!

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
Did the Inside Passage for 10 years working on tugs between Seattle and all over Alaska. Watch for mountain goats around the Buttedale Area on the N side way up high. Watch for drunk natives in Llama Pass. We t-boned a native gillnetter one night right in front of Bella Bella. They tried to cut in front of us a bit too close and didn't quite make it. Canadian CG showed up and sent us on our way and dealt with the natives. :chuckle: Have a safe trip.

I thought you might just volunteer for this.  Wrong again!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Ridgeratt

• Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 07:20:34 PM »
Don't tell me Ridgeratt is your mate on this trip? Haha.
If i was retired and could have an awesome anti emetic, i'd be all over that trip. Good luck. Sounds like a fun run!!!!!

Alas no!!

Not sure I have enough barnacles.  :chuckle:

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
  family might make it a bit much :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter