collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Lehigh LP Bullets  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
New Lehigh LP Bullets
« on: March 14, 2018, 05:27:19 PM »
For you lucky folks in Washington that can use a sabot... look at this information... I shouldn't really whine - I can use them during rifle season

Lehigh Dave has been trying to develop a higher BC bullet for muzzleloaders.  There were some growing pains in the development.  It took 3 different modifications of the tip design to get the product that he wanted.

The latest version is modification #3... It now has been tested by several different people and they have reported very good success with the bullet.  The big thing was to get the same 'Terminal Performance' that the standard open hollow point provided.  But the goal was to increase the BC of the bullet to offer longer range opportunities.

Lehigh Defense offers 3 different all copper ML hunting bullets.... a .451x230CF, .452x240CF, and a 452x265CF.  All three of these bullets offer the opportunity to insert an Aluminum Pin in the nose of the hollow point.  It is not the normal aluminum that we might think.  It is a very hard aluminum,  labeled 7075-T6.

These new ML bullets are not the first bullets Lehigh has produced using the Pins.  The have been producing bullets for the .308 Blackouts for several years.  Now he has used the same technology in these ML bullets.

This picture shows the bullets.

The tips do increase the BC of the bullets. Listed below is the normal HP BC and the BC with the pins inserted:

Lehigh 451x230CF-HP .160
Lehigh 451x237CF-LP .250

Lehigh 452x240CF-HP .180
Lehigh 452x247CF-LP .260

I personally have not harvested an animal with any of the Pinned bullets but I have done several range trips shooting ranges out to 250 yards.  I can confirm the bullets accurate!

The gentleman and his son have sent pictures of their Harvests... along with written descriptions of the harvest.

My Grandson Shot this Mouflon at 267 yds. With the prototype .451, 237 gr. bullet that you sent:  created extreme internal damage lending itself to tremendous terminal performance. It also passed through but with the aid of the fragmentation, the animal was disabled immediately and expired immediately after.

My Son Shot this Axis Buck at 363 yds.  With the prototype .451 MZ bullet in his Smokeless Muzzleloader, with an average velocity in his rifle: 2963 fps.  The spotter saw the deer bellied up immediately when it got shot:  it too, passed through, but internal damage was massive.
Performed perfectly and to my utmost expectation.

This Doe Axis Deer was Shot at 173 yds. With a  .451 prototype bullet.  As you can see small entry but major internal damage occurred.    Once  again, terminal entry was maximized.

Grouse has confirmed several harvests with the 452x247CF-LP also. He was using a non-smokeless ML.  I do not remember the ranges that he shot.

Me, stuck here in Idaho - I get a chance at one deer a year - and in some years 2 so I have to wait until next hunting season to get the opportunity.  Although I might get to use it on a few ground squirrels this spring.
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: New Lehigh LP Bullets
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 05:34:15 PM »
What bullet starter do you need for these? Does Lehigh make one to accomodate these bullets?
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »
What bullet starter do you need for these? Does Lehigh make one to accomodate these bullets?

Lehigh does make a loading jag that will fit them. But, the common old TC Super Jag and the Regular Spin Jag all work with them also.  Any jag designed for a spire point 45 cal. bullet will work

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:19:20 AM by Sabotloader »

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 10:32:21 PM »
Wow - are those legal?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 07:16:46 AM »
Wow - are those legal?

In the State of Washington and just about everywhere other than Idaho and Oregon - they are!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]