collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW land purchase for WOLVES!!!  (Read 27338 times)

Offline hoytem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: WDFG land purchase for WOLVES!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
I know it wasn't IDFW's fault... I know that. But look what happened regardless. If our state is buying land for wolf habitat like slider suggested then F*ck them. If the feds want to aid wolf recovery fine but I don't want my state(remember we are in liberal tree huggin' WA) to let the same happen. They are here now and will recover fine on their own. Hopefully WDFW already has plans of action and the appropriate wolf population numbers determined. I know they do. But watch when the pop. gets too high and people are allowed to hunt them, all the yups from bellevue will start crying and pretty soon the wolf is untouchable once again. After writing this.... yup I AM PARANOID.

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 01:08:03 PM »
I disagree...  The libs want all hunting banned and it hasn't happened... Besides the WDFW wants to bring in as much revenue as possible and I think they'll look at selling wolf tags and special apps as a way to do that...  just my opinion but I think we'll be killing wolves here by 2012....   ;)

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
I don't think we'll be hunting wolves in this state within the next 15 years.

I also think it is a good thing when WDFW can purchase land.  Any land they purchase is more area that we may get to hunt.  If it is private land, there is a good chance that it would eventually be developed.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 01:29:57 PM »
I'm confused. Where in the first post of this thread citing the WDFW is there any kind of connection to wolves? If I missed something, please point me in the right direction. It appears that they just bought 432 acres of wintering ground that now can't become 5 to 20 acre home sites. Sounds like a pretty good idea. The loss of winter habitat is probably a bigger problem than all the other management policies we debate every day. This locked up more winter ground from development. And "Fish and Wildlife Service grant for the appraised value of $2,490,000, will also improve recreational opportunity and access to the wildlife area." Doesn't sound like they're trying to limit access or use. I'm at a loss for the downside here.

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »
I will personally VOLENTEER to watch (that approved purchase of 423 acres of critical mule deer range south of Twisp)as Quoted by WDFG next winter so the WOLVES DO NOT ATTACK THE DEER!!! Wolf tags in 2012? I hope so there won't be any Deer Tags left!!!

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 01:40:48 PM »
I'm confused. Where in the first post of this thread citing the WDFW is there any kind of connection to wolves? If I missed something, please point me in the right direction. It appears that they just bought 432 acres of wintering ground that now can't become 5 to 20 acre home sites. Sounds like a pretty good idea. The loss of winter habitat is probably a bigger problem than all the other management policies we debate every day. This locked up more winter ground from development. And "Fish and Wildlife Service grant for the appraised value of $2,490,000, will also improve recreational opportunity and access to the wildlife area." Doesn't sound like they're trying to limit access or use. I'm at a loss for the downside here.

I'm with you, and jackalope, and michealJ.  I think this is good, i don't see any connection to wolves.

Hopefully the WDFW will continue purchasing land in critical areas that is in jeopardy of development.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 01:49:25 PM »
here comes the cavalry...thank god you guys are here.
i know a bunch of land down in the blues i wish the wdfw would buy too for critical wolf big game habitat.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 02:08:55 PM »

I'm with you, and jackalope, and michealJ.  I think this is good, i don't see any connection to wolves.

Hopefully the WDFW will continue purchasing land in critical areas that is in jeopardy of development.

It was in The Wenatchee Daily World Newspaper!!! THATS MY WHOLE POINT!!!

Offline hoytem

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 02:11:49 PM »
1st post:   I just read the WDFG made a land purchase for the Wolf Pack up by Twist!!! YIKES YIKES Of course they SUGER COATED IT and said it was for the Deer!!!   Angry  Angry >:(This is from their site.

Offline 7mag.

• Blacktail Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • YAR member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 02:20:01 PM »
 we need hunting season to get here as soon as possible so we have something new to talk about.

[/quote]

Amen brother
Semper Fi. USMC

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
we need hunting season to get here as soon as possible so we have something new to talk about.

Amen brother
[/quote]well we could scream at some dogs  :drool:

Offline luvtohnt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »
1. The gray wolf will be considered for downlisting from state endangered to threatened in Washington when 6 successful breeding pairs are present for 3 consecutive years, distributed as follows:

2 successful breeding pairs in the Northern Cascades Region, 8
2 successful breeding pairs in the Eastern Washington Region, and 9
2 successful breeding pairs in the Southern Cascades and Northwest Coast Region.

2. The gray wolf will be considered for downlisting from state threatened to sensitive in Washington when 12 successful breeding pairs are present for 3 consecutive years, distributed as follows:

2 successful breeding pairs in the Northern Cascades Region,
2 successful breeding pairs in the Eastern Washington Region,
5 successful breeding pairs in the Southern Cascades and Northwest Coast Region, and
3 successful breeding pairs anywhere in the state.

3. The gray wolf will be considered for delisting from state sensitive to game animal status in Washington when 15 successful breeding pairs are present for 3 consecutive years, distributed as follows:

2 successful breeding pairs in the Northern Cascades,
2 successful breeding pairs in the Eastern Washington Region,
5 successful breeding pairs in the Southern Cascades and Northwest Coast Region, and
6 successful breeding pairs anywhere in the state.

If 18 successful breeding pairs of wolves are documented in any year during the 3-year period, then WDFW will begin the process to delist at that point rather than wait for the 3-year period to conclude.

If we all do our part to document breeding pairs or packs with little ones we could have them classified as game animals in no time at all!!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 03:11:56 PM »
The WDFW district wildlife biologist got $2.5M of USFWS Section 6 money, earmarked by USFWS for wolf recovery, to acquire and perpetually protect 423 acres of mule deer winter range, and block up an inholding on the Methow WA.  Best possible use of that $$ IMHO, it would have gone for something else stupid regarding wolf recovery if not spent on mule deer winter range.  It aint pretty, but it is how you play the game.  He has no ability to allocate how the USFWS spends Section 6 dollars, once allocated for “wolf recovery” – may as well do something useful for mule deer (a.k.a. “prey”). 

I’d have done the same thing to protect winter range from becoming ranchettes!  I call it a creative approach to protecting and enhancing mule deer winter range, it is just too bad that the only value USFWS sees in deer and elk is as ESA prey.  That said, DON'T crap all over the guy for creatively using ESA recovery money from the federal government to perpetually protect big game winter range!!!!!

I, for one, applaud his dedication and creativity to do something positive for mule deer.  I say a big thank you is in order, not a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  I hope to see thousands more acres of crucial habitat protected for "wolf prey" in Chelan and Okanogan counties with federal $$.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 03:23:18 PM »
I hope to see thousands more acres of crucial habitat protected for "wolf prey" in Chelan and Okanogan counties with federal $$.

me too...
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »
WOLVES NEED HABITAT TOO!!!!

:chuckle:

They don't quit do they.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]