collapse
Western Life Outfitters Berry Game Calls!

Author Topic: 653 white river question  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: 653 white river question
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »
I had the bull tag 4 years ago.  Set my sights on a mature bull, and passed up many to get one opportunity which didnít work out.  No regrets on that.  I did buy the Hancock permit but didnít end up hunting it much. 
Too many tribal guys, and I decided to stay out.   Yes the fire did some damage, but there are still plenty of places to find a bull in that unit without the Hancock permit.  Weather has a lot to do with that unit and you need to wish for enough snow to push the elk out of the park or no snow so you can pretty much hunt anywhere you want.  I was in the burn area late last fall above crystal.  In the near future that will be very good for elk forage.   I live in the Claw, and I will again put in for this unit.  Fun hunt close to home. 
This time I wonít pass up a big tall rag horn at 75 yards on the river opening day :chuckle:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 02:32:42 PM »
The fresh green on those burns should be good this year. If not this year then next year for sure! I'm hoping to either draw the elk tag or find a nice fat yogi up there come Fall season.

Offline lewy

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA NRA
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 03:04:47 PM »
The deer hunting is terrible, sad but true. The bull to cow ratio esp mature bulls is also not very good, plenty of elk around but the Indians kill to many bulls, also sad but true
Go hawks

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 04:25:59 PM »
The Wife and I buy day passes and hike through part of Hancock land for 10+ years now.
Iíve seen plenty of Coyotes, rabbits, and squirrels.  Some grouse and other birds. Iíve seen plenty of deer sign.  Never seen a live deer there.  Must hide well, I see them on 410.