collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Camera on dead elk  (Read 7930 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Camera on dead elk
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 05:55:48 AM »
That’s a nice thick cat.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 06:27:34 AM »
I thought baiting cougars was illegal??? Kidding! Awesome catch right there.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 07:28:06 AM »
 :tup:
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:00 AM »
Very interesting.  I didn't think cougars ate carrion.  Maybe just an old wive's myth on my part.  Certainly a healthy cat.
they will scavenge fresh meat then they get the chance

It's not a hard and fast rule but IME cougars generally don't eat stuff that they haven't killed.  There are exceptions, obviously.

I shot a buck one evening and did not find it till the next morning, several hundred yards beyond where I had tracked it the evening before.  It snowed an inch during the night and after the snow a cougar had come on the blood trail, followed it to the deer and apparently leaned over to sniff it but did not touch it.  Fresh kill, no human scent.  I was surprised on that one that it did not eat some of the deer. :dunno:

I assume you are correct that the elk died naturally, but is there any chance that the lion killed the elk and came back later to feed?  Sometimes the kill marks leave little external sign.  We have tracked cougars to a kill which it left without eating any, and then it came back hours later or the next day and started eating.  They break the patterns I expect from them often enough to keep me humble!   

GREAT pics BTW!

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 05:39:24 PM »
Was that found down in your area?
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline DOsborn

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 07:27:33 PM »
Very interesting.  I didn't think cougars ate carrion.  Maybe just an old wive's myth on my part.  Certainly a healthy cat.

It's not a hard and fast rule but IME cougars generally don't eat stuff that they haven't killed.  There are exceptions, obviously.

I shot a buck one evening and did not find it till the next morning, several hundred yards beyond where I had tracked it the evening before.  It snowed an inch during the night and after the snow a cougar had come on the blood trail, followed it to the deer and apparently leaned over to sniff it but did not touch it.  Fresh kill, no human scent.  I was surprised on that one that it did not eat some of the deer. :dunno:

I assume you are correct that the elk died naturally, but is there any chance that the lion killed the elk and came back later to feed?  Sometimes the kill marks leave little external sign.  We have tracked cougars to a kill which it left without eating any, and then it came back hours later or the next day and started eating.  They break the patterns I expect from them often enough to keep me humble!   

GREAT pics BTW!
I suppose he could have killed this elk, when we found it one of the front shoulders was eaten and about 18 inches of the rib cage was exposed, we looked around and did not see any bite marks on the back of the neck but did not look at the underside. I thought that cougars would alway cover there kill.

Offline DOsborn

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 07:30:51 PM »
Was that found down in your area?
yes, siouxon unit

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 08:07:30 PM »
 :tup:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
That is a healthy cat!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »
Cool pics.  :tup:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 09:50:20 PM »

GREAT pics BTW!
I suppose he could have killed this elk, when we found it one of the front shoulders was eaten and about 18 inches of the rib cage was exposed, we looked around and did not see any bite marks on the back of the neck but did not look at the underside. I thought that cougars would alway cover there kill.

Re kill wounds:  Thanks for the added info.   I got curious on one large blacktail buck obviously killed by a cougar and partly eaten, so I examined and skinned to find out how he killed it.  No sign that I found showing externally.  By skinning the neck up to the skull we found where the large cougar had bitten the buck on the back of the neck just below the skull, severing the spine and spinal cord between the first and second vertebrae.  Once I found the tooth holes then I could part the hair and locate them from outside but otherwise had not seen them. 

Re covering:  I've found several kills that have not been covered, and a couple where the cougar dragged the dead deer under low overhanging limbs in snow but otherwise did not cover it.  Small sample.  I'd be curious to hear what other lion hunters have found.  Pics from California and SW show covered cougar kills but I've found more up this way that are not covered. :dunno:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:10:12 PM by Okanagan »

Offline Star882

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
Awsome pictures!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »
I'd bet that cat killed that elk
Go hawks

Offline O. hemionus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2018, 10:58:16 PM »
Great photos! What cuddeback are you using there?

Offline DOsborn

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 05:54:02 AM »
Great photos! What cuddeback are you using there?
these were taken from an old cuddeback Capture

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1