collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for advice on Kauai  (Read 8780 times)

Offline hunting4sanity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Looking for advice on Kauai
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 09:57:04 PM »
Hula pie at Keoki's Paradise restaurant, food was good too.
Disappointments are inevitable, misery is optional.

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 10:03:47 PM »
Kauai coffee company is worth a stop in, or two do the tour it is worth the half hour.   Tunnels beach was a great snorkeling spot.  There is a great hiking all over Kauai we honestly hiked every day when we were down there, by far my favorite hawaiian island.  I did not fish there I have on other islands I just buy fresh fish now the trips have been less than stellar.

Offline smdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
    • My Photobooth
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 01:53:17 AM »
This is up in Waimea Canyon, I did not hunt but drove up there to the end its a nice drive. The hunting units were marked on white signs along the road.

When I pass, do not let my wife sell the guns for what I told her they cost.

Offline Luna butte

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 06:11:24 AM »
You asked about hunting, yes I was able to go do some hog hunting. Another guide at cjm stables had a few dogs and would take me out on some hunts. It's pretty wild to hunt hogs using nothing but a knife!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »

Great cigars and spiced rum are made on the island. make sure you buy a fifth and at least 1 cigar. I love them.  Stop at the taco shack near the end of the road on the north shore. Great Ahi tacos. Rent a Jeep there is no reason to get a sports car and head To the south shore near the radar station. There is a glueton free bakery in Lahue. Booze is cheap. Do one of the irrigation canal floats. Buy a wrist rocket and a bag or 2 of marbles to shoot rouge chickens on your adventures from the walmart.

No license for fishing on the ocean. If your into alternative building check out the Air Crete Dome Gaia workshop. ive been to the island 3 times. I stayed in Kona last time and will be going back to Kauai next time.

I have had many varieties of Koloa Rum and absolutely love it!  Where do you get your cigars?  Do you remember the name/location of the taco shack?   

Taco shack is the last place headed to the park at the north shore. Pretty sure it was at/part of the north shore general store.

They used to send the tabacco out to Nicaragua to be roles. I'm told they do it in house now. Next time I go I'm going to tour the business.

My favorite is the Island Prince Momona, never found thier big gauge Nui Loa for sale. They arnt cheep cigars. If you only buy one plan on spending $15. Low booze tax but pretty high tabacco tax I hear. It's cheaper to purchase a box online than on the Island. Goes great with the rum and I've enjoyed a 30-45min burn time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »
DIY bonefish on the north shore, great wade if you want, lots of turtles and a chance at big oio

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 08:38:23 AM »
If you turkey hunt, you might want to check their regs to see if the spring season is still open. It opens in early March on the Big Island, not sure about Kauai. Theres actually a big population of Rio Grande turkeys on the islands and pretty slim hunting pressure. Pretty unique hunting experience when your chasing gobblers high up on a volcano.  :yike: I'm planning on hunting turkeys myself in Hawaii, hopefully as soon as next year.  :tup:
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:19 AM »
 I Second The  Kauai Cigar Company  Island Prince Momona Box of 3 about 60.00

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 09:21:39 AM »
Pretty sure that is the wooden box of 3. I still have mine as a momento. Wife got it for me so the men could have cigars after my youngest was born.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »
This is up in Waimea Canyon, I did not hunt but drove up there to the end its a nice drive. The hunting units were marked on white signs along the road.

Definitely been considering this option. I know there some on the Nepali coast too. I think that might be bow only though.

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
Kauai coffee company is worth a stop in, or two do the tour it is worth the half hour.   Tunnels beach was a great snorkeling spot.  There is a great hiking all over Kauai we honestly hiked every day when we were down there, by far my favorite hawaiian island.  I did not fish there I have on other islands I just buy fresh fish now the trips have been less than stellar.

I really enjoy Kauai coffee.  What do you mean your trips have been less than stellar?

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 12:53:01 PM »
If you turkey hunt, you might want to check their regs to see if the spring season is still open. It opens in early March on the Big Island, not sure about Kauai. Theres actually a big population of Rio Grande turkeys on the islands and pretty slim hunting pressure. Pretty unique hunting experience when your chasing gobblers high up on a volcano.  :yike: I'm planning on hunting turkeys myself in Hawaii, hopefully as soon as next year.  :tup:

I would love to hunt turkeys, but as far as I know that’s not an option on Kauai?

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 12:54:02 PM »
Loved the macadamenian nut coffee blend!

It also goes great with the Cigars!

Confucius

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
Pretty sure that is the wooden box of 3. I still have mine as a momento. Wife got it for me so the men could have cigars after my youngest was born.

Thanks for the tip on the sticks! Sure sounds good with some of that rum!

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 01:00:10 PM »
You asked about hunting, yes I was able to go do some hog hunting. Another guide at cjm stables had a few dogs and would take me out on some hunts. It's pretty wild to hunt hogs using nothing but a knife!

Been on a few dog and knife hunts. They are intense for sure. Hoping to go on more! Want to go after some goats and some day axis and mouflon (on lanai)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal