collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for advice on Kauai  (Read 8768 times)

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Looking for advice on Kauai
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 01:15:07 PM »
So I know everyone wants to do saltwater in Hawaii... BUT it's really not a terrific spot for that, plus the reservoirs are stocked with peacock bass. The island might be the only place on earth where you can get peacock, largemouth and smallmouth in the same place. All the reservoirs are private and you have to take a guide, but it's cheap compared to other stuff on the island. We probably caught 20 peacock bass each in 4 hours, and paid maybe $150 a person. The guide we used also did ATV tours. Just make sure they know you want to target only peacock bass.

Waimea canyon has a bunch of goats, hogs too, and is surprisingly steep. Hogs are tougher unless you get a guide or know someone who's got a bait station set up. Assuming you're bowhunting – don't know much about rifle hunting there. Bow you can do pretty much all the time.

Definitely get some of those Island Prince cigars – if you're a huge cigar guy they won't be fantastic, but not a bad smoke by any means. The maduros are better than the naturals. Kauai Coffee is cool to visit, and stop for some 'shave ice' as well. And you can usually find some guys in trucks on the side of the road selling fresh ahi out of coolers, the small ones are cheap and good for a few people.

Also – bring a rain jacket!

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 02:32:04 PM »
My wife and I have had a time share on the island for 18 years now.  It's not an every year thing but we've been there 8 times I think.  Eat at The Beach House just west of Poipu and order anything that ends with "in beurre blanc sauce.  And also have the Ahi tuna roll as an appetizer.  Best eats on the island.  Simply unbelievable. Make reservation now. Take a snorkeling tour out to the Na pali coast, that is very cool.  I would not suggest the Mexican restaurant on the second floor of the little strip mall near the cruise ship dock.  Both my wife and I got sick from their food.  A kayak trip up the Wailua (sp?) river on the north side of the island was pretty cool too.  We went through an outfitter and they provided lunch up near some falls.  The canyon is worth the trip.  On the north side, go to Hanalei, fantastic hiking along the water there.  Then eat at Kalypsos in town.  They have the best fish sandwich on the island IMO.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Call em in

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Hunter
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »
So I know everyone wants to do saltwater in Hawaii... BUT it's really not a terrific spot for that, plus the reservoirs are stocked with peacock bass. The island might be the only place on earth where you can get peacock, largemouth and smallmouth in the same place. All the reservoirs are private and you have to take a guide, but it's cheap compared to other stuff on the island. We probably caught 20 peacock bass each in 4 hours, and paid maybe $150 a person. The guide we used also did ATV tours. Just make sure they know you want to target only peacock bass.

Waimea canyon has a bunch of goats, hogs too, and is surprisingly steep. Hogs are tougher unless you get a guide or know someone who's got a bait station set up. Assuming you're bowhunting – don't know much about rifle hunting there. Bow you can do pretty much all the time.

Definitely get some of those Island Prince cigars – if you're a huge cigar guy they won't be fantastic, but not a bad smoke by any means. The maduros are better than the naturals. Kauai Coffee is cool to visit, and stop for some 'shave ice' as well. And you can usually find some guys in trucks on the side of the road selling fresh ahi out of coolers, the small ones are cheap and good for a few people.

Also – bring a rain jacket!

Ha ha ya, Waimea canyon is very steep and crumbly!  Do you remember who you did the fishing and atv trip with?   Jacket is packed! Lol

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 09:13:06 AM »
My wife and I have had a time share on the island for 18 years now.  It's not an every year thing but we've been there 8 times I think.  Eat at The Beach House just west of Poipu and order anything that ends with "in beurre blanc sauce.  And also have the Ahi tuna roll as an appetizer.  Best eats on the island.  Simply unbelievable. Make reservation now. Take a snorkeling tour out to the Na pali coast, that is very cool.  I would not suggest the Mexican restaurant on the second floor of the little strip mall near the cruise ship dock.  Both my wife and I got sick from their food.  A kayak trip up the Wailua (sp?) river on the north side of the island was pretty cool too.  We went through an outfitter and they provided lunch up near some falls.  The canyon is worth the trip.  On the north side, go to Hanalei, fantastic hiking along the water there.  Then eat at Kalypsos in town.  They have the best fish sandwich on the island IMO.

Solid tips! Thx!

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 12:16:49 PM »

Ha ha ya, Waimea canyon is very steep and crumbly!  Do you remember who you did the fishing and atv trip with?   Jacket is packed! Lol

It was in Koloa, I believe the company was Kauai ATV. I'd call them – they just have a guy on call, there's a reservoir close to Koloa that he'll take you to with a pontoon boat and a smaller aluminum docked there. Pretty informal deal, and the Kauai ATV place didn't even really market the service, we had to ask around until we got directed to them.

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2018, 01:05:18 AM »
Fished with Kai Bear charters and caught Dorado. Zip lines at the Princeville ranch were a kick in the but. Its been a few years.
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline knighttime25

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2018, 08:56:20 PM »
Was there for my honeymoon almost 3 years ago and did a fishing charter with Captain Don's adventures out of Lihue. Had a blast and caught some cool fish. I'll be back on Kauai next weekend for another week long stay as well. Looking at maybe doing a hog hunt or trying to find the place that had mentioned peacock bass??  :tup:

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2018, 08:23:47 AM »
Fished with Kai Bear charters and caught Dorado. Zip lines at the Princeville ranch were a kick in the but. Its been a few years.

Did the zip line at Princeville Ranch with the wife.  I can't believe I got her to go because she is scared of heights. lol  Lot's of fun!

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2018, 08:26:38 AM »
Was there for my honeymoon almost 3 years ago and did a fishing charter with Captain Don's adventures out of Lihue. Had a blast and caught some cool fish. I'll be back on Kauai next weekend for another week long stay as well. Looking at maybe doing a hog hunt or trying to find the place that had mentioned peacock bass??  :tup:

Nice haul!  We went for our honeymoon as well and keep going back!  Good luck if you do any hunting and/or fishing!    Have a great trip and let me know how it goes!

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »
Was there for my honeymoon almost 3 years ago and did a fishing charter with Captain Don's adventures out of Lihue. Had a blast and caught some cool fish.

Nice, just booked with Captain Don's myself.  Can't wait! 

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »
Go to Amazon.com and buy "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed" by Andrew Doughty.  You can plan your trip before you even set foot on the island.  Many of the things listed in the book are secrets among the locals.  It's the best $16 you can spend to get the most out of your visit.  I have bought one for each of the Hawaiian islands we have been to, and I still wouldn't go without it on our next trip.
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »
If you hike the Napali Coast game trails in the predawn hours, with an early morning fog and looking for a little beach to photograph at sunrise, bring a GPS.  I figured as long as I kept going down and towards the sound of the ocean, I would be in good shape.  Wrong!  I made a complete circle over the course of 45 minutes.  I have never been turned around in the woods like I was on that hike.  Once it got light enough to see, it wasn't much trouble.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 08:06:03 AM »
Go to Amazon.com and buy "The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook: Kauai Revealed" by Andrew Doughty.  You can plan your trip before you even set foot on the island.  Many of the things listed in the book are secrets among the locals.  It's the best $16 you can spend to get the most out of your visit.  I have bought one for each of the Hawaiian islands we have been to, and I still wouldn't go without it on our next trip.

That is a great tip and your absolutely right.  We bought the book before we went there the first time on our honeymoon and it has served us well.  It definitely is the #1 book used on the Island.

Offline Call em in

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 08:12:43 AM »
If you hike the Napali Coast game trails in the predawn hours, with an early morning fog and looking for a little beach to photograph at sunrise, bring a GPS.  I figured as long as I kept going down and towards the sound of the ocean, I would be in good shape.  Wrong!  I made a complete circle over the course of 45 minutes.  I have never been turned around in the woods like I was on that hike.  Once it got light enough to see, it wasn't much trouble.

I hear ya.  It's easy to get turned around there at times depending on were you are.  I took a GPS with me a couple of years ago.  I was hunting with a group of locals and wanted to have it in case we got separated. Hiking in the thick jungle it would not acquire satellites so I just made sure I kept up. lol

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »
I think this was the book my wife bought and mentioned the north shore taco shack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand