collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: COMMISSIONERS WANT TO KNOW IF WASHINGTON WOLF PLAN CAN BE TWEAKED  (Read 7605 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
6 YEARS IN, COMMISSIONERS WANT TO KNOW IF WASHINGTON WOLF PLAN CAN BE TWEAKED

this is worth reading...

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/6-years-in-commissioners-want-to-know-if-washington-wolf-plan-can-be-tweaked/
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: COMMISSIONERS WANT TO KNOW IF WASHINGTON WOLF PLAN CAN BE TWEAKED
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 02:27:03 PM »
I think opening it up for change is just as dangerious as the original plan. We are not in a better place to have more control over management.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 02:39:06 PM »
The commissioners said that they do not know if they will ever meet objectives based on the original plan but they think we have seen recovery already. Recovery just doesnt fit with how they guessed it would look like. Now that they have a lot more info on where the wolves are dispersing to, you think it is dangerous to let them use real world information to make more informed decisions?

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
The commissioners said that they do not know if they will ever meet objectives based on the original plan but they think we have seen recovery already. Recovery just doesnt fit with how they guessed it would look like. Now that they have a lot more info on where the wolves are dispersing to, you think it is dangerous to let them use real world information to make more informed decisions?

Wolves are not dispersing to the southwest, we need changes in the plan!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »
Heres what  I read:

"Southeast Washington will be sooner or later full up on their quota of wolf packs.”

“We’re there,” Commissioner Jay Holzmiller of Anatone interrupted him briefly to say

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 02:54:13 PM »
Ok, yes southwest. But isnt the idea here to get to the place where we have more management options where they are well established already? I dont know if we will get to that point without changes.  :dunno:

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
Ok, yes southwest. But isnt the idea here to get to the place where we have more management options where they are well established already? I dont know if we will get to that point without changes.  :dunno:

Bingo...

I dont know if we will get to that point without changes.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 03:57:26 PM »
First off Commisioners only make recommendations. We know this because when they made the recommendation of liberlizing cougar quotas a few years ago the governor vetoed it.

If you read the article it hints that what they really want is to transplant wolves across the state to "accommodate" the plan. Considering the 2 folks that suggest this in the article I doubt there will be much meaningful change in the management.

What would you consider a best/worst case senerio for an altering of the plan?

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 05:32:05 PM »
Best case they come to their senses and let areas with successfully established populations actively manage them. Worst case, western washington gets to find out what it is like having wolves a little bit sooner than its taking now and still may never be able to do anything about them. What other options are there other than waiting it out at this point?

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »
I just asked because I don't know it all. Just curious if there was an up side, and I wasn't convinced by your statement that there was one.

Confucius

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 09:00:21 PM »
I say let them transplant to concrete to control their elk damage and watch the fireworks begin. :chuckle:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
First off Commisioners only make recommendations. We know this because when they made the recommendation of liberlizing cougar quotas a few years ago the governor vetoed it.

If you read the article it hints that what they really want is to transplant wolves across the state to "accommodate" the plan. Considering the 2 folks that suggest this in the article I doubt there will be much meaningful change in the management.

What would you consider a best/worst case senerio for an altering of the plan?

What I got out of the comments is that they might also consider changing the three recovery areas or the requirements for each area. The best scenario would be to recognize that we have more than the required breeding pairs for the state as a whole and scrap the three individual area requirements, that's not required by the feds anyway.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 08:11:11 PM »
I say let them transplant to concrete to control their elk damage and watch the fireworks begin. :chuckle:

Thier already here.  :yike:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 11:10:59 PM »

Thier already here.  :yike:
They were here almost 20 years ago...

Confucius

Offline Hunter4Life

• supreme predator, hunter, carnivore, political animal, warrior for hunter's rights
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Groups: HHC, WWC, Hunting Works for Washington, SCI, Sportsmen's Alliance, NRA
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 11:09:13 PM »
I think opening it up for change is just as dangerious as the original plan. We are not in a better place to have more control over management.

You are 100% correct.  Opening up the wolf plan would require a new EIS and by the time new plan got adopted we could be 2 - 3 years down the road.  Do you want to put our fate in the hands of the Commission?  I think we would be far worse off.  You are probably better off trying to accomplish changing this legislatively and risking the governor vetoing it, but that is a super hard path.  The legislative math is this (50, 25, 1).  You need 50 house votes, 25 senate votes, and the governor to sign it.

Are the recovery zones and wolf distribution a problem?  Oh hell yeah!  Kretz's translocation bill as amended would have been a start, but again there were still problems.   In the southwestern recovery area, wolves are still federally listed. 

We have another pitfall.  Wolves are federally listed in 2/3 of the state.  The feds still had jurisdiction over the state in those areas.

All this talk just gets  us to recovery.  What is really important is what happens AFTER recovery.  What we should really talking about is a post-delisting management plan.  With 24 packs, and 14 breeding pairs we are getting close to delisting numbers.  We don't want to make the mistake of Idaho and wait until delisting before we work on a delisting plan.  We need to start working on that plan now so that it is in place when wolves reach delisting numbers.  That means mores than anything else.   A post-delisting plan has to have population maximums and control mechanisms to make sure that ungulate populations are protected and hunting opportunities are not diminished.     
If guns kill people, then…
- pencils misspell words.
- cars make people drive drunk.
- spoons made Rosie O’Donnell fat.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]