collapse
Advertise on Hunting-Washington Experience A Successful Turkey Hunt With Bearpaw Outfitters

Author Topic: Ammo  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Cab

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Ammo
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:56 AM »
honestly, you take so few shots turkey hunting I prefer to buy high quality like Hevi-shot magnum blend or anything hevi shot really. All of my birds were taken with Hevi shot and I just find the patterning to work well for my shotgun. Buy some good stuff and shoot a few rounds, see how it patterns at 20 then maybe 40 yards. I never get a shot over 25 yards most of the time but you never know. If it patterns well then you are good to go.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »
for those who shoot "non-toxic" or "harder than lead", what choke are you shooting it thru?    I wonder about the chance of damaging a choke or bulging a barrel when using a super tight turkey choke and ammo that doesn't compress the same as lead shot.    I haven't seen any data on turkey chokes and "other than lead".  I'd like to see if the choke is enlarged or if the wad encompasses all of the shot load to keep pellets from scratching the side of the barrel.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 11:42:50 AM »
for those who shoot "non-toxic" or "harder than lead", what choke are you shooting it thru?    I wonder about the chance of damaging a choke or bulging a barrel when using a super tight turkey choke and ammo that doesn't compress the same as lead shot.    I haven't seen any data on turkey chokes and "other than lead".  I'd like to see if the choke is enlarged or if the wad encompasses all of the shot load to keep pellets from scratching the side of the barrel.

I think your concerns have validity.  When I researched what I was going to use out of the new shotgun, and specifically when looking at the Hevishot product, they cautioned against using some types of chokes.  I looked at being cheap and using my Carlson Dead Coyote choke, but decided to just spend the $40 for the Hevishot choke.  Now everything matches, I have consistency, and I have no concerns I am hurting the barrel or choke.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline biggfish

• Political Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
I'm shooting magnum blend through a black maxx choke which is.002 less constricted than the hevi-shot turkey choke. They work well with x-full chokes and compress good enough to use the same chokes as you would for lead shot. Steel is where you need to worry, hevi-shot makes a steel turkey load and recommends not going above an improved modified choke.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Online kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
I'm shooting magnum blend through a black maxx choke which is.002 less constricted than the hevi-shot turkey choke. They work well with x-full chokes and compress good enough to use the same chokes as you would for lead shot. Steel is where you need to worry, hevi-shot makes a steel turkey load and recommends not going above an improved modified choke.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Mossberg 500 20ga with a Carlson’s .575 shooting Apex 9’s TSS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Recent Topics

Re: What does he score? 7mm version by 7mmfan
[Today at 12:19:12 PM]

Mmmmmmm by elkaholic123
[Today at 11:29:02 AM]

Draws are complete...what does your fall look like? by Dwrecknfish
[Today at 11:28:11 AM]

MAX POINT BLANK RANGE for my Smith Corona 1903a3 for bear hunting by tgomez
[Today at 11:24:28 AM]