collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eagle Caps/Minam First rifle  (Read 1915 times)

Offline deerslyr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Eagle Caps/Minam First rifle
« on: April 02, 2018, 06:48:09 AM »
Anyone ever done the rifle hunt in the caps? Doing it this year with a good buddy and seems nearly all of the information I pull up is from the archery hunt. Really just curious what type of country the bulls like to hang out in the end of oct. Bald basins up high in rock slides, mid country holed up in timber? I know it is going to be a tough hunt in nasty country with the potential of bad weather, but its nothing new to either of us. I'd be willing to trade info on elk hunting central, sw, and se montana in return if you'd like to PM.

Thanks,
Jon

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Eagle Caps/Minam First rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 08:22:57 AM »
They'll be wherever to wolves push them.  If you're not seeing them keep moving till you find them.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »
 :yeah:

Be prepared for covering  a lot of miles.  Likely in snow.  You can usually draw that unit with your second choice, and not have to burn a point.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 10:45:20 AM »
It's pretty weather dependent by that point. If you haven't been there yet, that units' personality varies greatly depending on where you're accessing it from. In general I'd not plan on hunting them in the high craggy stuff as you'd be in very deep trouble if a weather system rolls in and you aren't using horses or mules.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 05:32:04 PM »
In general I'd not plan on hunting them in the high craggy stuff as you'd be in very deep trouble if a weather system rolls in and you aren't using horses or mules.

Sounds like the place you'd want to be! In all seriousness, we will be checking the weather frequently, we're experienced mountain hunters and have hunted ranges with the same characteristics. Camp will be with us on our backs majority of the hunt. From what I've gathered its going to be a typical elk hunt, keep moving until we find them then kill them. And let the pain begin  :chuckle:

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:04:11 AM »
In general I'd not plan on hunting them in the high craggy stuff as you'd be in very deep trouble if a weather system rolls in and you aren't using horses or mules.

Sounds like the place you'd want to be! In all seriousness, we will be checking the weather frequently, we're experienced mountain hunters and have hunted ranges with the same characteristics. Camp will be with us on our backs majority of the hunt. From what I've gathered its going to be a typical elk hunt, keep moving until we find them then kill them. And let the pain begin  :chuckle:
The reason I'd say to avoid the upper/southern end that time of year is because all the access points require you to come over the top from other watersheds, then go down into the Minam. Case in point, my preferred way to access the top end is by going over Burger pass via the Buck Creek trail head. The last week of September, last year, some friends went in to do some trail work on Elk Creek but called the trip when it snowed a foot over night at the top of Burger pass. If you get stuck in that top end your only choice will be to make the trip to get out via Moss Springs, and that's a long stinking ways via the river trail.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal