collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: !help! Hunting Turkey in Eastern Washington  (Read 12751 times)

Offline winchestergirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
!help! Hunting Turkey in Eastern Washington
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »
I've posted alot of topics asking for help on turkey hunting in general and where to find them on the West side of the mountains.

But after talking with my father he thinks it would be best if we, being first timers, start on the Eastern side of Washington. I totally agree. So he put me up with a mission to find good public land with a good population of turkey out towards the East from Yakima on as far out as Spokane, as far up as Oroville and as far down as Walla Walla.
Now, once again, does anyone have any suggestions, any good public spots out in eastern washington to help us out?

thanks!

Alexa
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 01:50:12 PM by winchestergirl »
when the goin gets tough
the tough get goin.

Offline SpokaneSlayer

• Sourdough
Re: !help! Hunting Turkey in Eastern Washington
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:54:54 PM »
There's a ton of public land around Chewelah and Colville.  Just look for maps of the Colville Nat'l Forest. 

"Let freedom ring with a shotgun blast!" - Machine Head

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 03:54:31 PM »
Alexa, you and your father need to start with the basics and spend some gas money checking out areas that others have suggested.  Forest Roads NE of Chewelah, for example.  Get on the internet...Go to the USFS website look for boundary maps, go to WADNR get public land maps..Colville Chewlah quadrangles,   WDFW website look at the GOHunt site and look at all of the data, harvest numbers, etc....check out as much as you can..Campgrounds if you are going to camp or hotels are readily available in Colville.  Next old school it...get up before day light go out and roost birds, just get out in the woods... just get out there shock gobbling, driving, hiking, looking for turkeys, talk with landowners, sporting goods stores, wherever. 

I used to put a gobbling turkey to bed, show up before daylight and chase him around all day, try to outwit him...the next day I did the same thing. 

Hike around in the woods and look for sign.  Look for *censored*, scratches, feathers, roost trees...the best way to learn where to go and how to hunt turkeys is to get out there and try.  I have yet...knock on wood...to go a day during turkey season...where I never heard a gobble.  I have always heard a gobble...I can honestly say that there hasn't been one day I didn't hear one.  That in it self is success.  Remember to always have fun and mentally take notes about each situation, each hunt.  Take lots of pictures.  Good luck.  Oh yeah, you will see lots of hunters hunting turkeys up there especially on the weekends.  Look at where these guys park...where they hunt...especially on public lands...don't hunt on top of them...always respect others space.  I am suggesting to remember these areas and come back and check them out.  I use a Washington Gazateer, I mark it up with turkey sightings, public land boundaries, landowner names and phone numbers...be observant.  Good luck and good hunting.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:10:33 PM »
i hunt south of colville. cant camp till the day befor. gotten my turkey the last two year's. cant scout this spot. but i know what the turkey's do now. last year 3rd day 2:30 pm fixing lunch truck drive's by. Gobble Gobble. a 1/2 hour later thee set up's bamm i was on him. new i was close. i yelped with a mouth call. becace he would Gobble once on the box as i got closer. was awsome seeing him strut in. i'm thinking of have a turkey camp. geuss were i hunt. and i can help. south of colvlle. gobbler's strutting in lot's of field's going to colville to tease me.  i love calling critters. :drool:

08 gobbler was awsome calling him.

08 camp at the snow line. have cabelas Guide tent to.

07 tom same area.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:32:59 PM by bearmanric »
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline fishunt247

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:06:17 PM »
Yeah I would go up Northeast. I would avoid Yakima area, not enough birds, especially if you are trying to learn. And like yelp said, explore.

Offline Dustin07

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 09:25:46 PM »
I've seen Turkeys in the Ellensburg area, but never been to colville. Since it's too far away for me to scout by foot, we already got a colville map and are working on a plan. In the mean time... I am spending my weekends pounding the pavement through lewis county and have brought a lot of Mossyrock mud back home with me. I have had a hard time locating any on the west side so far, but I'm learning the areas and I know where they aint  :bash: so the way I see it, my odds of locating 'em improve with every trip I make.

the gohunt tool leaves much to be desired.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:48:46 PM »
Alexa - Come to the turkey hunting and calling clinic this Sat Mar 21st @ 9am at Cabelas in Olympia if able ... come early and introduce yourself at the NWTF table (or afterwards works too). But if you can't ... 

As these guys have said, 70% of state harvest is in NE corner of the state - Stevens, Ferry, Pend Orielle, and No. Lincoln counties (north Lincoln has very little public land, but the others do). The populations are huge, terrian is more open and usually not as rough, birds more vocal, weather usually better, the country folk usually are nice enough to allow turkey hunting when approached and asked nicely, lots of public land (DNR, State, USFS, Wildlife Refuges, etc) available too, and you can get two birds over there (versus one here).

If you are still 100% DETERMINED to hunt on the westside and absolutely can't make the clinic, I will get you into a general area that will hold some birds ... but please note that only 0.1 % of the state harvest is taken in western Wa. north of Olympia and approx 1% south (that translates into approx 5 birds north and 50 birds south) ... the odds will be against you. You will need to do a lot of scouting to even have a chance ......

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:55:26 PM by turkeydancer »

Offline Moose Eyes

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »
Excellent suggestions, turkeydancer!
NRA
NAHC
Washington for Wildlife

Offline gasman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
PM sent
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:15:51 PM »
Hi there Moose Eyes ... was good to see you Tacoma (short for "Tacky-Aroma" -LOL) guys on Saturday and meet your turkey hunting friend.  Hope to see you in Colville this year. My boy and I may start in No. Lincoln Co. the 1st 3 days, then the boy plans to go home.  I will come up to the fairgrounds probably late Friday night even if tags are filled. A newer chapter member asked about me showing him which is always a little better than just telling him about how to do it. He paid for a guided hunt once and got to hunt private land, but the guide had 3 clients at the last minute and wouldn't guide him nor give him his money back --- he managed to take a jake, but would like a tom.  One thing - my price is better (free as a thank you) and he won't get stiffed.  Good look at your banquet ... should have Winchestergirl and her dad join your chapter if they are really serious about hunting turks as Turkeys 'R' Us !!!

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »
i'll be at cabelas. . you and your dad are welcome at my camp. i have two top of the Line tent's as long as i get my new cabelas guide tent. i have cot's i have everything a person would need. i know were the turkey's hang out. i might go over a week early look for shed's sell call's just ordered a 100 crow call insert's want to start selling call's at store's. any way.any one is welcome. cant camp at the  it is very cold there be preparded. i like calling. was going to say were i hunt but not sure if any other hunt there. dont want any one mad. can you camp at the fair ground's oin colville. was invited to say Hi last year there. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline Moose Eyes

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
Hi there Moose Eyes ... was good to see you Tacoma (short for "Tacky-Aroma" -LOL) guys on Saturday and meet your turkey hunting friend.  Hope to see you in Colville this year. My boy and I may start in No. Lincoln Co. the 1st 3 days, then the boy plans to go home.  I will come up to the fairgrounds probably late Friday night even if tags are filled. A newer chapter member asked about me showing him which is always a little better than just telling him about how to do it. He paid for a guided hunt once and got to hunt private land, but the guide had 3 clients at the last minute and wouldn't guide him nor give him his money back --- he managed to take a jake, but would like a tom.  One thing - my price is better (free as a thank you) and he won't get stiffed.  Good look at your banquet ... should have Winchestergirl and her dad join your chapter if they are really serious about hunting turks as Turkeys 'R' Us !!!

Nice to see you too!  It looks like we will be over there through that weekend.  I'll PM you my cell phone number.  I am camping with Dave's group so you guys should try to come over for dinner one night.
NRA
NAHC
Washington for Wildlife

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »
Sounds like a plan ... half my chapter should be at the fairgrounds opening weekend, and a get together sounds perfect.  I'll suggest TJ's in Kettle Falls -- a great sports bar with really good food at reasonable prices.

Offline MuleyontheWall

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 04:05:27 PM »
And if you can't make the hunting clinic at Cabelas the Lake Washington NWTF Chapter is putting on a turkey hunting clinic at Outdoor Emporium on the 28th of March. 11am to 3pm..

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
They will do a good job too! Len and I did our first one together many years ago for Christian Outdoormen in Gig Harbor. Travis was at the Feb 28th clinic and will be there also on the 28th (oh no, a spy in my midst).  I also gave them my topic outline (hope that doesn't screw them up)!  I already PM'd Whichestergirl about their clinic as an alternate, and have also been promoting Len's & Travis's clinic every chance I get.  Its not like I am the only one with the magical knowledge and the only one that is willing to share it.  Len, Trav, Dave and I all do clinics locally in fairly close proximity yet different areas and venues ... we want everyone to become successful hunters and hopefully realize what the NWTF is all about and the good we can all do together for this great sport.  I wish I could take everyone out (which I know is totally impossible) and show them everything I was taught by the turkeys since I had no Len, Trav, Dave, or me (Al).  Trust me ... I'm not doing clinics to help myself anymore than my friends are to help themselves ... its all about helping others ... oops, almost fell off my soapbox .... LOL, Al

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]